Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

grading question2780

Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
I have a question regarding the grading difference between an incomplete book and a restored version of the same book.

Suppose you have a GA Mega Key that looks like a 7.0, but there is a story page where 1/3 is missing. What might the 7.0 grade drop to?

Same book but a restorer has redone (nicely)the missing portion of the page with his own artwork. What might the apparent grade of 7.0 drop to?

Thanks for any thoughts...
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I'd imagine if the book is missing a third of a story page that it would not receive higher than 3.0.

If the restoration is immaculate then it could potentially receive a 7.0 but would have "Restored" and the restoration noted on the label
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have a CGC'd golden age book with the last page missing entirely (affects story), and they gave it a 3.5 Qualified.

It is a 1947 All Great Comics #14 (#12).
Post 3 IP   flag post
Many thanks for both of your opinions...

I was afraid that the missing pages would garner some sort of incomplete .5 grade.

I was hoping that a restored apparent grade would approximate what the book looked like.

we'll see and it'll be shared here...I bought it knowing what the status was, but never knew what it had received when graded by CGC any years ago.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak I have a feeling it was 3.5 Qualified because the actual blue label grade would have been 0.5.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@burntboy If the book is missing "pages" then yes, it would get a 0.5.

The grading guidelines for a 3.5-5.0 say "The inside paper quality can be low and small pieces of the pages may be missing." I wouldn't call 1/3 of a single page missing a small piece so I figured the best it could do is the next level down, maxing at 3.0.
Post 6 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@burntboy
Unfortunately missing 1/3 of a page that affects the story is significant. Enough so to render the book incomplete and push the grade down to .5
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe what a 1.0 blue would be valued at for an incomplete book that was restored.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@burntboy
Unfortunately missing 1/3 of a page that affects the story is significant. Enough so to render the book incomplete and push the grade down to .5

This is what I was afraid of on an unrestored copy.

BUT, on the flip side what happens with the page having been professionally restored?? I would have thought that the book was now complete, albeit with some new artwork. And that the grade would be based on it's overall appearance (taking into consideration the quality of the resto on the missing piece of page).

Thoughts??
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Having the interior page restored would definitely raise the grade significantly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks Steve, kinda what I was hoping for...
Post 11 IP   flag post
The next question is...Does the value of the grade bump restored offset the actual cost of the restoration? It might, but without knowing the identity of the mystery book we can't say.
Post 12 IP   flag post
When I purchased the book it was sold Raw as restored with the new artwork. (That was all upfront).

When I received it, it was sent in a old broken CGC case. My assumption at the time was that it had probably been cracked out by the seller. (but the old case could have simply been used to protect the book in transit).

Now years later I'm curious what I might get if graded.

I keep trying to pull the Pic from Photobucket but all I see to be able to do is provide a direct link to all of My Pics. I'll keep trying...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Here's the Book, finally...

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! That is beautiful!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Oh, so the book is already restored? In that case it would grade out as a restored copy and the grade as to the actual appearance and not be called an incomplete book.
Post 16 IP   flag post
598088 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?