Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Pedigrees

"file copy" question2774

Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
So (please forgive me if i'm opening a can of worms, not my intent) but is there a policy or something in place on how CBCS would determine if a comic is a file copy or not? Some are easier to tell that others but wasn't sure if they needed a COA or not to list on a label. And would that be on the same line as the new Direct or Newsstand spot? And I know this might be sticky but does anyone know if they consider the Harvey warehouse books to be "file copies" I personally wouldn't consider them but I know a lot are being sold as them and are slabbed as such by other companies.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Most file copies didn't come with any sort of Certificate of Authenticity. I'd skeptical of any such COA's, as it is just something created by the seller. . And real "file copies" were rarely stamped "file copy". Nor is condition any indicator. There are lots of NM and better books that were not file copies - and lots of file copies that are not NM>

I don't know if anyone besides staff at CBCS can answer your question as to what sort of verification they need to list "file copy" on a label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
For us "newbies" please what is a file copy and how would we know
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
For us "newbies" please what is a file copy and how would we know

Basically a file copy was something that was put aside by the publisher (long before computers and internet) as a way to reference the comic to check for story line continuity and just basically to have a copy on "file" for various reasons.

From my understanding there are really only a few sets of genuine file copies floating around: The Stan Lee Marvel file copies (which are now hard to identify thanks to CGC), the Whitman/Western/Gold Key which sometimes had marking/date stamps and the EC file copies (Tales of the Crypt etc., and they came with COA) There was a huge Harvey Comics warehouse find that was just unsold books but CGC classifies them as file copies but I'm not sure how CBCS would classify as they were basically just a find of old books.

Feel free to correct if my knowledge is wrong. I'm currently in talks to buy a set of the Western/Whitman file copies which is why I brought this up in the first place.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks a lot... I think I have a couple of those claimed
Post 5 IP   flag post
598088 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?