Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversCBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPSigning Opportunities

Slab Worthy? Please help2746

Collector Grayspeedster private msg quote post Address this user
I have just got back into to collecting after a break that lasted to long.

I've got a local convention coming up, Terrificon in august! This is my first convention ever.

I plan to have the following books signed and slabbed.
-New Teen Titans #1,2,44 signed by Perez and Wolfman
-Crisis on Infinite Earths #1(x2),7(x2),8(x2)signed by Perez, Wolfman, DeCarlo and Ordway
-Star Wars #1-6 signed by Thomas and Chaykin
-New52 Batman #1,13 signed by Snyder and Capullo
-Reborn #1,1Blank signed and sketch by Capullo
-Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 signed by Perez, Lim and Rubinstein
-Thanos Quest #1,2 signed by Lim and Beatty
-Batman Rebirth #1 signed by Snyder
-Rebirth Batman #1 signed by Finch
-All Star Batman #1 signed by Snyder
-Superman Vol. 1 #218 signed by Meal Adams
-Deathstroke #1 signed by Wolfman

Let me know if any of these seem pointless or not worth slabbing!

I'm still trying to buy so early Defenders stuff cause Englehart is also gonna be at the Con.

I'm having Josh Avery of Avery Comic Pressing, press all my books and he's even coming to witness all my signatures!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
welcome back! I sounds like you're way more prepared than I was at my first con. have fun!
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
My advice for your first con:

Get there much earlier than you think you need to.

Expect three times more people than you think the Fire Marshall would even allow.

Double check the location of your phone before you leave the car.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Have a comfortable way to carry books you are bringing / buying. Holding stuff in your hands all day gets to be annoying.

I like lot of the books on your list. Slabbing would really depend on the condition of the book and if you are doing it for your own collection or to flip.

Good luck. Have fun.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Terrificon at Mohegan Sun?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
My advice for your first con:

Get there much earlier than you think you need to.

Expect three times more people than you think the Fire Marshall would even allow.

Double check the location of your phone before you leave the car.

Thank you, I will definitely be arriving early as my ticket is the deluxe ticket and I get in 30mins ahead on Sat & Sun. I'll definitely expect huge lines for the big names like you said.

Although I will have my phone for last minute price checks and what not. I'm actually bringing this hardcover Marvel Journel I found at the big box store. It has vintage marvel character art so it's not really childish and the pages have the faces of the characters watermarked.
Anyway, I've made lists for;
the comics to buy before the Con,
bring to the Con,
Creator signatures and what books, what books to be witnessed then graded.
I did make a list of books I was looking to buy at the Con but my pre Con spending has gotten out of hand then I decided last week to slab all these books and some creators charges for witnessed signatures.

Plus to me, and I'm only 23 mins you, taking a phone to a comic convention as my main tool is kind of lame. We are there for the paper, do what they used to do and do all the research on the books you want ahead of time and FMV so you can rely on that not crappy signal in a Convention lol. But definitely I bring the phone, it's a tool, just not my first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Have a comfortable way to carry books you are bringing / buying. Holding stuff in your hands all day gets to be annoying.

I like lot of the books on your list. Slabbing would really depend on the condition of the book and if you are doing it for your own collection or to flip.

Good luck. Have fun.

I'm not sure the grade on a few of them so I'll take them to my LCS cause he is great. But almost everything is NM. Everything will be kept and passed on to my future kids so value and investment are important.
I was concerned I was wasting money slabbing IG #2-6, Star Wars #2-6 and the Batman Rebirth stuff. Based on FMV and what you said I think I definitely will slab them.

I live 10mins from my Con and it's Free parking! yay! But I'll have all my books in BCW storfolios and organized by creator. I'll then have those in my backpack.

I've already planed to buy signature windows and cut out the holes for the creators to reduce risk of damage and increase efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Terrificon at Mohegan Sun?

Yeah! I'm really excited as this is my first Con ever!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
re: not worth slabbing

It depends if you plan on selling them or putting them into your collection. Two very different animals.

Most important thing to consider (for either option) is will you be happy.

Enjoy,
Mike
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a nice mix of books.

Depends on the grades as far as signing and grading goes.

If you are on the fence about any of them you might want to scan the books and post them in this thread to get opinions on the grades.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
My mention of a phone was mainly for the camera, because you will see something you want to snap pictures of.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
My mention of a phone was mainly for the camera, because you will see something you want to snap pictures of.

Good point. I do plan on taking pictures! Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Looks like a nice mix of books.

Depends on the grades as far as signing and grading goes.

If you are on the fence about any of them you might want to scan the books and post them in this thread to get opinions on the grades.

The grades are all NM for the most part. The few that I'm not sure about I'm gonna have LCS grade and if they are below NM I'll look for upgrades or not have them graded at all.

But I'll always keep in mind that I can scan and get your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
re: not worth slabbing

It depends if you plan on selling them or putting them into your collection. Two very different animals.

Most important thing to consider (for either option) is will you be happy.

Enjoy,
Mike

Well, I plan on keeping them for life, but they are investments so my future kids can have them when I pass. To sell or keep is up to them!
Post 10 IP   flag post
596782 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?