Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop CultureToys

ROM: Space Knight tied to Transformers Movie2737

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The pipeline suggests the new transformers movie will have a Dire Wraith direct tie with ROM, possibly leading to other Hasbro IPs intertwining into a Hasbro Cinematic universe, to compete with Marvel Studios and WB Studio. We are talking about M.A.S.K., ROM, Transformers, GI Joe crossover events. Interesting rumor if it's in fact true. ROM books will skyrocket with news of a movie or new toys. ROM has never had a proper action figure to date. The rumor is suggested due to the new movie trailer for the new Transformers movie, First Knight. I am suggesting the first knight is ROM. I am also suggesting Dire Wraith infects Megatron and the Megatron we see in the trailer is actually Dire Wraith.

ROM books are heating up to $40 NM on ebay now. I suggest snatching up any Newsstand editions of issues 1, 17, 18, and 47.

First appearance of Rom, Dire Wraith in #1
X-men tie in with 15-18
First appearance of female Dire Wraiths in #47

*DROPS THE MIC*
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I hope they reboot GI Joe, that last movie was a disaster.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Bumber……….I sold my compete, unread series run of Rom a couple of years ago…………..DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
I started snatching up raw ROM #1s in June of last year. What took you so long?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I had theories but figured Rom would NEVER take off. It makes sense to use other strong IPs to "endorse" coolness of less than desirable characters.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I loved M.A.S.K. as a child I owned 100% of the entire toy lineup and recorded the cartoon on this thing we oldtimers called a "VHS'
Post 6 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Michael Bay sucks.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I loved M.A.S.K. as a child I owned 100% of the entire toy lineup and recorded the cartoon on this thing we oldtimers called a "VHS'

Ahh the days when you wanted to watch something again no one could change the channel while it was on REC
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
Bumber……….I sold my compete, unread series run of Rom a couple of years ago…………..DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a complete run that I sold about 25 years ago for like 25 cents a piece. Oh well.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have been looking for NM copies at shows over the last couple years and I could not find a real nice one for under$50. I felt that was a little steep. Most of the copies are VF or lower. That blue border seems to show wear and fading easily.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Interest in ROM has been on the rise for a couple of years. If Hasbro makes a push to get more of their characters into movies - and it certainly makes sense that they would - then ROM could see even more interest.

ROM 1 was published in 1979. Issue 17 was published in 1981. 90% or more of the print run was newstand. It is the direct to comic shop versions that are "rare". 1985 was the year 50% of Marvel's production was direct to comic shops. 1986 is the first year more direct editions were printed than newstand. It was 1989 when 90% of Marvel's production was direct and 10% newstand. So the advice to look for newstand copies makes no sense - unless one desires to own that which is most common. I'd suggest these are good books to look for regardless of newstand or direct. But it's direct that is a lot less of.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Interest in ROM has been on the rise for a couple of years. If Hasbro makes a push to get more of their characters into movies - and it certainly makes sense that they would - then ROM could see even more interest.

ROM 1 was published in 1979. Issue 17 was published in 1981. 90% or more of the print run was newstand. It is the direct to comic shop versions that are "rare". 1985 was the year 50% of Marvel's production was direct to comic shops. 1986 is the first year more direct editions were printed than newstand. It was 1989 when 90% of Marvel's production was direct and 10% newstand. So the advice to look for newstand copies makes no sense - unless one desires to own that which is most common. I'd suggest these are good books to look for regardless of newstand or direct. But it's direct that is a lot less of.

You guys are really missing the mark on HIGH GRADE newsstand editions. Or, keys that are high grade newsstands.

The newer you get, the harder the newsstand. Try finding a 2015 comic book that is newsstand. Very difficult. I'd have to agree a newsstand copy of a comic book prior to 1986 is 50/50 distr but still I maintain that newsstand collecting is for books after 1990. It's on the rise, it's a new hunt.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It is to some people. I'm more interested in the book than the distribution method.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

You guys are really missing the mark on HIGH GRADE newsstand editions. Or, keys that are high grade newsstands.

The newer you get, the harder the newsstand. Try finding a 2015 comic book that is newsstand. Very difficult. I'd have to agree a newsstand copy of a comic book prior to 1986 is 50/50 distr but still I maintain that newsstand collecting is for books after 1990. It's on the rise, it's a new hunt.

I would agree with everything you said, except the bit about the rarity of Rom 1 in newsstand vs. direct, as Iron Man pointed out.

Shortly before the Suicide Squad movie came out last year, I sold a CGC 9.8 Suicide Squad #1 on eBay for about $100 above the previous sale, which was a direct market CGC 9.8.

Mid 1980's mewsstands were about a 50/50 split in terms of print runs, they do still fetch a 10-25% premium in most cases, in 9.8 slabs.

Around/ after the year 2000, or maybe a bit later, is when the direct market started phasing out newsstands.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I know, I just said all of that. And you even quoted it LOL

I been looking and squinting my eyes on thousands of ebay listings of comics post 2005 that are newsstand. Very very difficult! But fun and rewarding, especially when you find out about error covers or variant newsstands
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

The only 50/50 split on newstand vs direct before 1986 was 1985. The direct market didn't get going until the late 70's and in 1982 Marvel's print run was 20% direct and 80% newstand. In 1979 it was no more than 10% direct.

Now the theory goes that newstand editions were not as well cared for so harder to find in NM grades. There is probably truth to that. but in 1979 there were not all that many comic book stores either - so lots of collectors were buying their new comics at drug stores. And care/storage aside - if there is 8-10x more of something, more survived in high grade.

And one final note --- we only have available to us as far as I have been able to tell from lots of research --- Marvel's direct Vs newstand circulation by year. We don't have any idea on what individual titles & issues did. For instance, New Mutants 98 is what - 1992? By then 90% Marvel's production was direct to comic shops. Yet NM 98 newstand - while certainly less common the direct edition - shouldn't be called scarce. So NM 98 must have sold fairly well on the newstand.

I don't have any opinion one way or another about collecting newstand and direct as variants. I recognize after 1989 newstand editions are going to be less in number. But I do get tired of...the misconception that all newstand variants are rare, regardless of publication date. Newstand is the most common until the mid 1980's, and in the mid to late 70's it's direct that is rare, rarer and rarest. If collectors are going to collect based on rarity, they need to understand just what and when rare is.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I agree completely. I am searching for 1992 and newer newsstand editions.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I read a rumour that either ROM or Roadblock are supposed to show up and the end of the new Transformers movie
Post 20 IP   flag post
598069 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?