Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Taking CGC 9.8 slabs & converting them CBCS2661

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Most likely will come back 9.6 - however after dry cleaning/pressing maybe same grade to clean off those fingerprints and smudges.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I cracked and submitted 23 CGC 9.8's to CBCS at the SVCC. I kept the CGC labels for reference for when the CBCS books come back. I don't know if I'll send the CGC labels in or not once all my books arrive. I have heard that CGC just throws them away anyway. So far I have received two of my CGC to CBCS books. Both were CGC 9.8's and they came back from CBCS one 9.8 and one 9.6. If anyone is interested I'll do a follow up post when the rest of my books arrive.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah they throw them away...AFTER they pull them from the registry.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I have never looked in a CBCS 9.8 case and had any issues with what the book looked like. I've had a few CGC books that were really "weak" 9.8's that I just ended up shipping them off to the consignment gods never to be seen again. I would rather have a CBCS 9.8 then a CGC 9.8 because from what I've seen the the CBCS books are usually a little more tightly graded.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@Gabriel85301 Be warned. I submited 11 books that were CGC 9.8. All came back less than 9.8. Came back mostly 9.6, but some 9.4's as well. A couple of them were pressed before regrading but still came back less. I still prefer CBCS over CGC, but be ready for a shock.

KingNampa states bluntly - and from personal experience - what others have tried to say politely. You should listen.... My question still stands. What is more important? The grade or the signatures? Because you might not be able to have both.

IronMan is 100% correct, in everything he said in this thread regarding the possibility of a downgrade when cracking a CGC 9.8 to obtains a signature(s) and have it graded by CBCS for a CBCS ASP slab.

This cuts both ways, I will add.

Take a CBCS 9.8 slab and crack it for to obtain a signature(s), and you have the put thesame risks in motion.

Add in more than one signature, and you increase the risk of a downgrade....especially if the book is signed at a second convention.

All it takes is one person to, as in a creator while signing or a CGC or CBCS facilaitor during routine handling/transit/shipping while the book is not slabbed, to cause a downgrade from a 9.8 to a 9.6.Or hell, a even a 9.0.

A creator could mishandle the book while signing it, and cause a deep/transverse spine tick...which is for the most part, not a pressable defect.By that I mean if you had 9.8, and a deep/transverse spine tick occurs at any time after the 9.8 slab is cracked, you're looking at a likely 9.0/9.2, unpressed.Best case scenario is that you get a 9.6 slab, after the book is pressed.

If pressed after signing, the best case scenario with such a spine tick , if you get such a spine tick while a book is signed, is a 9.6.if you use a faciliator like Anastasia's or Desert Wind, who has a reputation for effing up books, then you enhance the risk factor.Even ASP witnesses, CGC SS witnesses,CGC or CBCS graders, shipping companies etc etc...all who are GOOD at their job, can cause a downgrade.

The only reason I will ever crack is a CBCS or CGC slab is because it has pressable defects.In that case, you have to know what to look for.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Great information posted here guys. Well done
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
I cracked and submitted 23 CGC 9.8's to CBCS at the SVCC. I kept the CGC labels for reference for when the CBCS books come back. I don't know if I'll send the CGC labels in or not once all my books arrive. I have heard that CGC just throws them away anyway. So far I have received two of my CGC to CBCS books. Both were CGC 9.8's and they came back from CBCS one 9.8 and one 9.6. If anyone is interested I'll do a follow up post when the rest of my books arrive.

Yes.. Please do keep us updated!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 Sure. Thanks for the interest
Post 33 IP   flag post
598070 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?