Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Taking CGC 9.8 slabs & converting them CBCS2661

Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Stupid Question,

but so not to piss of the Comic Book Karma GODS, should I be courteous and tell CGC that I'm cracking their 9.8 slabs, getting a signature, and switching them to CBCS?

Would you?

Why do I even feel guilty about something so nihil ad rem?

Lol.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly - Don't think they will care.

There are enough zombies
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
It's not their book so why would you? I doubt they'd even care.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
How would you go about informing them? If you post anything about CBCS it will get erased so I don't think they care to remove a comic off their census in order to reflect less CGC graded books specially when they have been cracked in order to slab in the esteemed competitions product which they even fear to mention. You know that you might not get the same grade back with the book, right?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
How would you go about informing them? If you post anything about CBCS it will get erased so I don't think they care to remove a comic off their census in order to reflect less CGC graded books specially when they have been cracked in order to slab in the esteemed competitions product which they even fear to mention. You know that you might not get the same grade back with the book, right?

This is almost word for word what I was typing and SpiderTim beat me to it.

Expanding a bit.... WHO is CGC? I mean who would you even tell? They will remove it from their discussion boards and if you call customer service will just politely say "That's nice...have a nice day"

What do you value more? 9.8's or signatures? Because there is a chance that you crack open a 9.8 slab and get it signed it won't come back a 9.8. Some may. Maybe most may. But the odds are you'll get some books back grading lower. The books will have been handled by multiple people before they get a new grade assigned. By a completely different company and graders.

You can increase your odds of holding the 9.8 by having the book pressed after it's been signed. If CBCS is at the show stop by and tell them what you want to do BEFORE you get any signatures. If CBCS is not set up at the show or signing you will need to work with a signature witness.

I personally won't crack 9.8's for signatures. I'd rather go look for a nice 9.4/9.6, crack it, get the signature and then do the pressing. But that is entirely personal on my part. If it won't make you crazy seeing your 9.8 drop to 9.4/9.6 go for it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 Technically, they do ask that you mail in the labels of any cracked books so they can update the census but there's no telling how far off it already is so who knows how helpful it would be to send yours in. If you include them with your CBCS order they do give you 50¢ off for each one
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Gabriel85301 Technically, they do ask that you mail in the labels of any cracked books so they can update the census but there's no telling how far off it already is so who knows how helpful it would be to send yours in. If tou include them with your CBCS order they do give you 50¢ off for each one

The graders have NO IDEA who the books they are looking at belong to. This is deliberate so there can be no charges of favoritism. Sending in the label is only to keep the census up to date and the 50 cent credit.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
If it's the ONLY (or one of 2 or 3) copy of that comic that is CGC 9.8, then I'd be courteous and reach out to customer service and mention it (what they do with that info is up to them) - but that's only likely if it's a rare Silver or Golden Age book. Otherwise most post '77 books have plenty of 9.8s and it won't affect any census data etc.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@IronMan That's true but I have no idea how that relates to what I said since I didn't even touch on the actual grading process
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@IronMan That's true but I have no idea how that relates to what I said since I didn't even touch on the actual grading process

I thought perhaps you were suggesting that if the labels were sent in that might improve the chances of keeping the grade. I see now you were only addressing the "letting CGC know" issue. My bad, sorry
Post 10 IP   flag post
@IronMan ahh, got it! No worries
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS used to add a discount for CGC labels, don't know if they still do. CBCS will send them to CGC. Keeping the census in check is in everyone's best interest.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
CBCS used to add a discount for CGC labels, don't know if they still do. CBCS will send them to CGC. Keeping the census in check is in everyone's best interest.

Does CBCS have any control over a CGC census? I think not, lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
@SpiderTim you totally missed the point. CGC removes cracked labels from the census. It has absolutely nothing to do with CBCS or having control over anything.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@DarthLego : CGC only thinks about CGC so like I previously stated I hardly doubt that they would remove a book from their census if it has been cracked in order to resubmit to CBCS, it is NOT in their best interest.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Its in there best interest to keep there census as up to date as possible. If the CGC label was mailed in to CGC, it certainly would be taken off the CGC census.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 Be warned. I submited 11 books that were CGC 9.8. All came back less than 9.8. Came back mostly 9.6, but some 9.4's as well. A couple of them were pressed before regrading but still came back less. I still prefer CBCS over CGC, but be ready for a shock.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@SpiderTim CGC removes every cracked label that is mailed to them. Why on God's green Earth would they ignore cracked labels just because CBCS mailed them as opposed to any other Joe Smo? It's their Census they are keeping in order. Your statement is ridiculous.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@Gabriel85301 Be warned. I submited 11 books that were CGC 9.8. All came back less than 9.8. Came back mostly 9.6, but some 9.4's as well. A couple of them were pressed before regrading but still came back less. I still prefer CBCS over CGC, but be ready for a shock.

KingNampa states bluntly - and from personal experience - what others have tried to say politely. You should listen.... My question still stands. What is more important? The grade or the signatures? Because you might not be able to have both.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@SpiderTim CGC removes every cracked label that is mailed to them. Why on God's green Earth would they ignore cracked labels just because CBCS mailed them as opposed to any other Joe Smo? It's their Census they are keeping in order. Your statement is ridiculous.

Yeah, I guess that would be the main reason, to keep the census in order. I have some modern books that are CGC 9.8 SS and it's the only one on record, maybe it would be wise to keep those, so I can say, "I have the only one.." but I do have several Universal graded Avenging Spiderman #9 CGC 9.6 that I'd love to turn in a Yellow CBCS label, even if it was brought down to a 9.4.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Right now I'm thinking when CGC is getting those labels back from CBCS they must sh&/t their pants thinking how many people have switched to CBCS! lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
I don't think CGC cares enough about their customers to even care how many they are losing.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't think CGC cares enough about their customers to even care how many they are losing.

I'm sure they are interested in the money they aren't going to make anymore from them. Lol
Post 23 IP   flag post
There's still a lot of dealers who are so far up CGC's hind quarters they will never leave. Also, CGC has some very arrogant people in the driver's seat.
Post 24 IP   flag post
On to another note, I have these two, one signed by Bendis, the other by Hickman. Mark Brooks is coming to Phoenix Comicon and I'd love to crack'm and get him to sign them but I have that small fear of both losing it's 9.8s.. I don't have to tell you who may favorite character is, I guess you can all just figure it out by this post.

Post 25 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Most likely will come back 9.6 - however after dry cleaning/pressing maybe same grade to clean off those fingerprints and smudges.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I cracked and submitted 23 CGC 9.8's to CBCS at the SVCC. I kept the CGC labels for reference for when the CBCS books come back. I don't know if I'll send the CGC labels in or not once all my books arrive. I have heard that CGC just throws them away anyway. So far I have received two of my CGC to CBCS books. Both were CGC 9.8's and they came back from CBCS one 9.8 and one 9.6. If anyone is interested I'll do a follow up post when the rest of my books arrive.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Yeah they throw them away...AFTER they pull them from the registry.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I have never looked in a CBCS 9.8 case and had any issues with what the book looked like. I've had a few CGC books that were really "weak" 9.8's that I just ended up shipping them off to the consignment gods never to be seen again. I would rather have a CBCS 9.8 then a CGC 9.8 because from what I've seen the the CBCS books are usually a little more tightly graded.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

KingNampa states bluntly - and from personal experience - what others have tried to say politely. You should listen.... My question still stands. What is more important? The grade or the signatures? Because you might not be able to have both.

IronMan is 100% correct, in everything he said in this thread regarding the possibility of a downgrade when cracking a CGC 9.8 to obtains a signature(s) and have it graded by CBCS for a CBCS ASP slab.

This cuts both ways, I will add.

Take a CBCS 9.8 slab and crack it for to obtain a signature(s), and you have the put thesame risks in motion.

Add in more than one signature, and you increase the risk of a downgrade....especially if the book is signed at a second convention.

All it takes is one person to, as in a creator while signing or a CGC or CBCS facilaitor during routine handling/transit/shipping while the book is not slabbed, to cause a downgrade from a 9.8 to a 9.6.Or hell, a even a 9.0.

A creator could mishandle the book while signing it, and cause a deep/transverse spine tick...which is for the most part, not a pressable defect.By that I mean if you had 9.8, and a deep/transverse spine tick occurs at any time after the 9.8 slab is cracked, you're looking at a likely 9.0/9.2, unpressed.Best case scenario is that you get a 9.6 slab, after the book is pressed.

If pressed after signing, the best case scenario with such a spine tick , if you get such a spine tick while a book is signed, is a 9.6.if you use a faciliator like Anastasia's or Desert Wind, who has a reputation for effing up books, then you enhance the risk factor.Even ASP witnesses, CGC SS witnesses,CGC or CBCS graders, shipping companies etc etc...all who are GOOD at their job, can cause a downgrade.

The only reason I will ever crack is a CBCS or CGC slab is because it has pressable defects.In that case, you have to know what to look for.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600882 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?