Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What does the "*" Mean next to your grade?261

Collector SuperPaul private msg quote post Address this user
Could someone please explain?

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The book in question looks better than the grade given to it by CBCS due to a defect that isn't obvious by looking at it through the holder.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
the * or more recently, a checkmark, indicates that the book presents better than a book of that grade. Maybe the book got a 9.0 as a result of an accumulation of imperfections on the interior but the cover looks amazing and in the holder, where the interior defects aren't visible, the book looks like a higher grade book.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
Originally CBCS used a star to designate a book that looked better than its assigned grade, as has been mentioned. There was a dispute with NGC over the use of the "*", so CBCS began using a check mark to indicate the same thing. Hope this clears things up.

This is from another thread by posted by the_Watcher
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SuperPaul private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you! Have you been surprised by a grade before? I thought what I submitted would have graded higher.

Please let me know your thoughts
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPaul
Have you been surprised by a grade before? I thought what I submitted would have graded higher.

Sure. All the time. In both directions.
Post 6 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPaul
Thank you! Have you been surprised by a grade before? I thought what I submitted would have graded higher.

Please let me know your thoughts

Everyone gets surprised by a grade. That's the reason for the check mark on the label. It means "Check the graders notes as this looks better than the given grade". We thought a * would be good but the certified collectibles group sent us a lawyers letter stating that because they use that on coin labels, most of you would confuse our comic with their coins as being from the same company. I am pretty sure all of you would not confuse a comic with a coin, but we decided to change it to a check mark on the label. It still shows up online as a *.
Post 7 IP   flag post
600443 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?