Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch Covers

Art-Apprpriate Sketch Covers258

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So sketch covers, covers where the art is inked but not colored, are nothing new but they are typically printed on standard glossy cover paper. I recently got a copy of the Spider-Woman Authentix cover, seen here:

Colored by an artist (currently in the shipping state at CBCS) and I'd love to do more, I'm just unaware of other books outside of the few, somewhat expensive, Marvel Authentix books that would be appropriate.

I'm curious if there are books out there like the Marvel Authentix books that have sketched/inked art printed on a cardstock similar to the more recent blank covers that are meant to be drawn/sketched/painted on etc.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
the only ones i know of are the new DC Coloring Book covers.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite You mean each book has been individually sketched before sale, correct?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@dielinfinite You mean each book has been individually sketched before sale, correct?
oh i thought he meant just sketch variants that are printed with the sketch no color.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Soma I haven't had a chance to see those in person so I didn't know what type of paper the cover was printed on but I'll check them out! Thanks!

@DrWatson I mean a book where the printed art is just the black and white linework. Those covers as variants are common enough but I'm hoping to find more books where such cover art is printed on a thicker stock more suitable for an artist to work on
Post 5 IP   flag post
Oh, a black and white sketch variant printed on a thicker stock paper.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Quote:
oh i thought he meant just sketch variants that are printed with the sketch no color.

You were right, Soma! Covers with uncolored black and white linework but on a cardstock similar to blank covers, so an artist can work on them with paint or markers, as opposed to the regular glossy paper used for most covers
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Oh, a black and white sketch variant printed on a thicker stock paper.

Exactly! lol sorry if I wasn't clear or if I just made things more confusing afterwards lol
Post 8 IP   flag post
i believe the DC coloring books are on the art stock paper... lots of people using copic and watercolor on them. (trying to find the finished ones... CGC was accepting them as signature series with your name listed as the artist!)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Huh, I mean I guess it makes sense that they would. There's nothing that says the artist on a SS or ASP label has to be published, well-known , or good.
Post 10 IP   flag post
heres an example

Post 11 IP   flag post
If you google (I used bing, actually) "authentix comic books" there are several that pop up in the images section that look similar to the one in your opening post.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Soma Cool! Thanks for sharing those! I'll definitely have to grab a few. I'm more of a Marvel fan so hopefully they've done something similar, aside from the Authentix books.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Thanks, I'll take a look. I don't recall there being a large variety though and some were rather expensive so I wanted to throw my net out and see if there were more books out there with that similar concept.
Post 14 IP   flag post
IDW had a G.I. Joe #1 that has a Ron Frenz Snake Eyes sketch on the back cover.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Cool! Thanks for sharing those! I'll definitely have to grab a few. I'm more of a Marvel fan so hopefully they've done something similar, aside from the Authentix books.

yeah im a marvel dude myself... but those dc books grabbed my attention... plus i would love to have a CGC'd book with my name on it as the artist lol.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@DrWatson hmmm, I haven't followed IDW as much as I should but I think they also have a line of Artist Edition variants. I don't know what kind of stock they're printed on but I should check it out. They work with plenty of licenses I'd be interested in seeing slabbed.

@Soma lol it would be kind of neat, and I can really see it making a great gift. Also, you'll get to see what it's like working on a cover and teying to maintain that 9.8 lol
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had CBCS grade one of the G.I. Joes under the red label program.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Did they verify that it was your signature
Post 19 IP   flag post
Well, that one had Ron Frenz's signature on it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Awesome! I've considered getting a commission from him via Catskill. I always get this really nostalgic feeling looking at his art since I remember loving his Spider-Man and Spider-Girl

I just saw the grade on that Spider-Woman from my first post, 9.8! I should get it next Tuesday!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Congratulations.
Post 22 IP   flag post
w00t!

I was just able to pick up the Daredevil Authentix book for relatively cheap so I guess this will be the next book to get colored! I'm also keeping an eye on some copies of the Magneto and Gambit books.

Post 23 IP   flag post
597889 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?