Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgePop Culture

Planning my first submission. Suggestions?256

Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all. Im currently looking to send in my first batch of books to get graded. Over the years ive slowly been building a small personal collection seperate from the bulk of my books.

I have about 8 short boxes of stuff i would like to get graded eventually. These are the major keys and stuff im looking to hold for awhile.

Im not sure if i want to slowly chip away at that collection or get some other books graded to flip, as to hopefully accelerate the process. These books would be mostly newer modern stuff,"speculation"type books.

With the shear amount of books i have i get overwhelmed at times. Any advice,motivation comments are appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
This is just my opinion, but I would get the stuff you want to keep graded first.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure when you send them in you protect them, and insure them. You don't want them dinged on their way in to be graded.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DrWatson thanks for the suggestion. This was also my first thought until i started adding up the cost. I think ill meet in the middle maybe. Send in a few that ill keep and one or two flip books to maybe offset the submission.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have many other slabbed books in your collection? The first submission for a lot of folks, even those who are well-seasoned now, can be a real eye-opener.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Also, if I were going to have something graded to sell, I would make sure that it is something currently in demand. In demand or key issues will sell regardless if they're CBCS or graded by the cgc. In my opinion, the buying market hasn't quite caught up to all things CBCS just yet. I wish all my keepers were in CBCS holders.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Dick_Pontoon i have a few that i picked up on the secondary market. Nothing self submitted.

Im fairly confident in my grading i religiously visit the "please grade my" thread on the cgc boards. Ive sold a few books out of my ebay store and never had any complaints yet. I think if anything i tend to undergrade by a hair.

If there is any intrest maybe ill start a journal style thread to track my cbcs submissions/experiences.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
It can get a little pricey, but I usually like to submit 2 copies of most of my books. That way i can keep whatever one grades higher and sell the other copy to offset the cost of the copy i kept. Obviously this becomes much more difficult for older silver age books or super rare stuff.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Well after some digging I came up with a decent group of books. 22 books total. The Omega Men, Avengers annual 10 and X factor 6 will be my flip books to recoup some of my money. The rest will be keepers for the most part. What do you think?

Title / Est. Grade
---------------------------------------------
Omega Men 3 (x2) / 9.4+
Avengers Annual 10 (x2) / 9.4+
X Factor 6 (x2) / 9.6+

Major Victory 2 / 5.5+
All Surprise 1 / 5.0
Green Lantern 9 Variant / 9.4+
Batman adventures 12 / 9.0
Batman 232 / 7.5
Batman 227 / 6.0
Jimmy Olsen 134 / 6.5
Hawkman 4 / 3.5
Green Lantern 76 / 6.0
Shazam 28 / 8.5+
ASM 129 / 7.5
Preacher 1 / 9.4+
Fear 19 / 8.5+
Strange Tales 135 / 5.0
Hulk Annual 1 / 8.0+
New Mutants 98 / 9.0
Post 9 IP   flag post

I can take closer pics if anyone is interested.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
oooh! I'vebeen looking for an Avengers Annual 10. I got the 2005 reprint signed by Claremont at the Long Beach Comic Con in February but I want to get the original for a yellow label
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Wow those are some nice books. I have and Avengers Annual 10 as well as well as X-factor 6. Going to go through my collection as well. I know i am going to send Superman Adventure 5 to get graded.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Absolute_Zero Thanks. Superman adventures 5 is one book i havent been able to find in the wild. Ive got a few copies of Action 835 though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Yeah I bought at a local con back in February of this year. Action has some really great books including 835.going to have a great time this weekend to look my collection. Plus free comic book day yeah
Post 14 IP   flag post
What do you think return shipping on 22 slabs would be?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
What do you think return shipping on 22 slabs would be?

Placed my order this morning. $601 total,including fedex 2day @$96. Pricey indeed.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Wow thats alot right there. Ouch Fedex thats crazy I get discounts through UPS and Fedes through my job. Always try to us USPS or UPS but thats my opinion. I was going to say around $45 dollar range
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Absolute_Zero Yeah its pricy but i feel its worth it to protect the books. I could have gone cheaper with the fedex ground @$65 but figured a little extra for the 2 day wasent too bad.

I havent even sent the books out yet and im thinking of my next submissions.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
Wow thats alot right there. Ouch Fedex thats crazy I get discounts through UPS and Fedes through my job. Always try to us USPS or UPS but thats my opinion. I was going to say around $45 dollar range

undiscounted, FedEx is the cheaper return shipping option when picking the return shipping options from CBCS so I see most people usually choose FedEx when submitting. High amount is also based on how much insurance and the insurance is based on how much he declared each books value when creating his invoice.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks Yep. Insurance is what really jacks up the shipping costs. Valuation was just over 4k, whichadds roughly $50. I also mis spoke. I ended up adding in 2 more books to flip, so it was actually 24 books total.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Oh ok understand it now. Mm going to look through mine and aee what wlse i want to send. Man to many cons in the next month and going to Dallas Fan Expo man so many cons not enough time
Post 21 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Hello all. Im currently looking to send in my first batch of books to get graded. Over the years ive slowly been building a small personal collection seperate from the bulk of my books.

I have about 8 short boxes of stuff i would like to get graded eventually. These are the major keys and stuff im looking to hold for awhile.

Im not sure if i want to slowly chip away at that collection or get some other books graded to flip, as to hopefully accelerate the process. These books would be mostly newer modern stuff,"speculation"type books.

With the shear amount of books i have i get overwhelmed at times. Any advice,motivation comments are appreciated.

I would recommend sending them to me. Ill send them in for ya, lol
Post 22 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Sure thing. Pay the submission fees first and ill get them right over to ya.
Post 23 IP   flag post
600891 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?