Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Events

Todd Mcfarlane @ Calgary Expo April 29-302500

Collector DugardBC private msg quote post Address this user
So Todd McFarlane was just announced today for Calgary Expo, any chance CBCS might be there as well?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
my CGC guy just alerted his clients of Todd's signing in Indiana....

Current Events:

Todd McFarlane Signing – Books due to me by April 24, 2017

Indiana Comic Con – Books due to me by April 10, 2017

https://indianacomiccon.com/
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Man, why is the Toddster suddenly making the rounds to so many shows?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DugardBC CBCS will be at the convention however, there are certain restrictions with Todd McFarlane if you were looking to get a yellow label. If you want a Yellow CBCS label on a McFarlane signature, the signature has to be obtained at an Excelsior Collectibles, Genuine CoA, or Trinity Comics private signing. You can't, unfortunately, have a CBCS witness McFarlane at a random convention signing and get a yellow label.
Post 4 IP   flag post
How does McFarlane stop a CBCS witness from tagging along with a friend and watching him get his book signed, and then turning it in to be slabbed? Does CBCS say nope not gonna grade that on a yellow label? Just curious.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Towmater Correct, it's an agreement reached between Todd's people and CBCS itself. So yes, you could have a witness tag along (though they try to make us aware of those rules so most AWs would probably decline) and submit it but they will confirm the event and the authorized witnesses for those events somehow in determining whether the book qualifies for a yellow label. Otherwise, you get a red VSP label. I'm not sure if you have to pay the $26 verification fee in that case.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If in order to get an auto from Todd - one will probably need to stand in line and I don't think CBCS will stand in line waiting with you.....and Todd's line can be very long.
Post 7 IP   flag post
anyone know if he is charging to sign these days?

All of my previous signatures by him were free.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks My understanding is that he is still free at his public signings but obviously there is a fee for the private, witnessed signings
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gotcha....thanks "die"!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
You get an unauthorized sig in a yellow label, and Todd will happily pull the plug on allowing ANY of his sigs in yellow labels.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@DugardBC Pay the premium fee to skip the line and get a verified red label. That's what I'm doing at upcoming Amazing Con for Todd. The premium fee usually included 3-4 books signed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I got one book signed through Genuine COA and I was charged $85 for just Todd's signature. How are people getting them for free?
Post 13 IP   flag post
You wait in line at one of his free signings and get him to autograph your book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Hometown show for the Todd Father! Too bad no yellow labels and too bad CBCS doesn't note cons on the labels anymore, would be cool to have witnessed sig: Todd McFarlane signed at Calgary Expo.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector DugardBC private msg quote post Address this user
Towmater, reason todd is making a lot of rounds is probably because its the 25th anniversary of Image comics this year. I'd imagine theres going ot be a few cons with all the founders at them at some point. Emerald Con in seattle had McFarlane, Silvestri, Liefeild and Larsen.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Stupid question from the signature rookie here...is it unspoken or taboo to ask the person signing to use a marker of your choice? One of the things that turns me off from signatures is the black sharpie...especially if I'm going to pay mucho dollars and/or wait in a long line...id rather see a signature in a color that compliments the cover art....I find black rarely does it for me...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Stupid question from the signature rookie here...is it unspoken or taboo to ask the person signing to use a marker of your choice? One of the things that turns me off from signatures is the black sharpie...especially if I'm going to pay mucho dollars and/or wait in a long line...id rather see a signature in a color that compliments the cover art....I find black rarely does it for me...

Not at all. Don't worry about being a rookie, you'll be a battle hardened convention veteran before you know it. I always prepare my books in advance, which means taking a comic bag, using masking tape to box the area to be signed in and then cut a window just inside the tape. Then I'll put down a few pieces of tape to make a an area to write on. On that area I write the name of the person or persons to sign and what colour ink I'd like it signed in. Here's a tip, write the info in the colour you want signed, I've written "SIGN HERE IN SILVER" in black ink only to have the artist either not read it or see the black ink and just go with that.

When I'm at the table I'll usually say "Hi, how are doing today? Are you having fun at the con? I've got a few books here I was hoping to get your autograph on if you don't mind" before I even put my books on the table. The artist will say "ya sure no problem, that's what I'm here for" then I'll put my books on the table and say "ok great, can I get these signed in *insert colour*?" It's good to engage the artist a little bit. Make sure to thank them after and tell them you hope they have a great time at the con, a little bit of courtesy will go along way.

Also, if you want a specific colour its best to bring your own marker, just in case they don't have that colour.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector reggieb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
...Otherwise, you get a red VSP label...

*pink VSP label
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DugardBC
Towmater, reason todd is making a lot of rounds is probably because its the 25th anniversary of Image comics this year. I'd imagine theres going ot be a few cons with all the founders at them at some point. Emerald Con in seattle had McFarlane, Silvestri, Liefeild and Larsen.

Too bad they don't do a tour with all of them minus Lee who has to run DC.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
even so, McFarlane seems to be the "one" that Matt @TrinityComics can't seem to get. I've been asking Matt for ages on getting Todd to yellow label some books and every time I'm shot down.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by DugardBC

Too bad they don't do a tour with all of them minus Lee who has to run DC.

They used to in the 90s.

1990s SDCCs....continued to see these guys yearly.

It wasn't until the early 2000s when SDCC was selling out 140K registrations, did their "tours" slow down.

BTW - if you have already registered for the SDCC - April 8th @ 8am is when the selling begins for this July's con.
Post 22 IP   flag post
598062 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?