Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversCBCS Collectors SetsCBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics ForeignComics Golden AgeComics MagazinesComics Modern AgeComics PedigreesComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededMemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestionsSignaturesSigning OpportunitiesStatuesToys

Welcome to the CBCS Forum!25

Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Anyway, I now own the car Playboy gave to the 1967 Playmate of the Year, Lisa Baker. But they gave her a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda instead of a 67' car. That is now my "baby". It has a 318 V8, with auto transmission and power steering. It looks cherry (totally redone but painted in the original factory pink just as Hugh Hefner special ordered it). I sold my 56' Dodge Coronet to purchase this vehicle. I am looking forward to taking it to some Classic Car Rally's this summer. It has the original radio in it, but alas, it does not work. So I am going to have a new CD player mounted in the glove box, out of sight. It has the biggest piece of glass ever put on a passenger car (so I am told). The back seats fold down and that makes 7 feet of area in the back. Two people could "sleep" (or whatever) in that area.

Sweet car and a favorite for me. Around 1968 I bought a 1964 'cuda. It had a 273, 4 speed manual in Burgundy Red. I tricked it out for the street band it was a blast!
Post 251 IP   flag post
KUNG FU PANNDA greggy private msg quote post Address this user
Good evening, dorks
Post 252 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Buenos noches!
Post 253 IP   flag post
Post 254 IP   flag post
Collector Webeloobie private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Everyone! Good to see the usual suspects here
Post 255 IP   flag post

Collector jsilverjanet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggy

:facepalm:
Post 256 IP   flag post
@greggy

STFU!
Post 257 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilverjanet
@greggy

STFU!
Post 258 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user

Post 259 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Are we allowed to post pictures of CGC or PGX graded books, if it is just to share them?

Yes

I disagree.

Posting CGC comics on here is fine. Please no "bad mouthing" them. Everyone of us collects what we love and this forum is about sharing everything we love with our fellow hobbyists.

Our esteemed competition has been around for a long time. Heck, I was the original Primary Grader and restoration detection expert for them. I am still friends with some of the people there today, especially Mark Haspel, a true brother and one of the most knowledgeable & passionate people in our hobby.

Now, when it comes to pgx, I have seen way too many shady things like easily missed restoration that can be seen through their holder, pages missing, wrong back cover married, fake sigs, etc. I do not want new collectors to think that that is "certification". Same goes with the so called "grading services" that buy and sell their own books.

This is not to say that CGC or CBCS will not make mistakes, but those mistakes should be minimal. Both companies have made, and will make a few mistakes, but until you take the "human factor" out of the equation, there is no way to stop that. Every company, in any industry, makes mistakes.

Certification is a safety net for collectors, the "good housekeeping seal of approval", if you will. Certification is also a way to help sellers to sell their books with the buyers confidence. A seller might pick up a large collection and they need to processes it to get it to market quickly, as they have paid a lot of money and, like any business, need to recoup their money to buy the next collection to offer to you. They might miss a small amount of writing on a page, might not have the best eye for restoration, can miss very light stains, not know a strange page count (13-16), and many other things. The good ones do the the best they can, but many rely on the experts in certification to help them process a collection quickly and as correctly as the certification company can.

I love our hobby and want it to remain strong while bringing in new collectors. I have been doing this for the better part of my life because of my love for this incredible hobby and the friendships I have made in it. I was very lucky to have been taught the ethics of our hobby by friends like Bob Overstreet, James Payette, Jerry Weist, and many others. I want to pass those ethics along to everyone I can.

End of rant. Thank you for reading this.
As always, happy collecting!
Peace, Steve
Post 260 IP   flag post
Collector Generic private msg quote post Address this user
You rock, Steve!
Post 261 IP   flag post
@SteveBorock Rant? LOL!
Post 262 IP   flag post
Collector netherxvoid private msg quote post Address this user
Happy to be a member here and hello to all !
Post 263 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
comic book collecting is a fun hobby to be a part of. And its good to be here to see others passion for these funny books also
Post 264 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Bravo Steve!

Welcoming us to post pics from our collections that may include books graded by CGC speaks volumes. Not only for your passion of collecting, but also that you see the extreme benefit to our hobby by respecting one another for the quality services being provided.
Post 265 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with your reasoning Steve. I hope if I make a mistake and post a PGX label, your moderators just delete it and slap my wrist.

I assume a pic of a PGX slabbed book, that does not show the label or any other thing that would indicate it is in a PGX slab, is okay.

I made a mistake years ago and sent a bunch of books to PGX, and I will never do that again. I didn't find any mistakes on their part, with the grading of my books. But I have heard about and seen too many fails by them/him, to ever send them more books.

Just as an aside. I also will never send any more books to be graded by CGC. But that is a personal issue and not reflective of their prowess doing what they do. My future submissions will be to CBCS. I am getting a submission ready right now.

Be good to me, and I'll talk with Santa about you. Santa apparently likes me. He gives me comic books every Christmas.
Post 266 IP   flag post
Collector 1952MB private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Everyone, from Los Angeles.
Post 267 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Are we allowed to post pictures of CGC or PGX graded books, if it is just to share them?

Yes

I disagree.

Isn't this something you and the Mods should've already discussed?

Posting CGC comics on here is fine. Please no "bad mouthing" them. Everyone of us collects what we love and this forum is about sharing everything we love with our fellow hobbyists.

Our esteemed competition has been around for a long time. Heck, I was the original Primary Grader and restoration detection expert for them. I am still friends with some of the people there today, especially Mark Haspel, a true brother and one of the most knowledgeable & passionate people in our hobby.

Now, when it comes to pgx, I have seen way too many shady things like easily missed restoration that can be seen through their holder, pages missing, wrong back cover married, fake sigs, etc. I do not want new collectors to think that that is "certification". Same goes with the so called "grading services" that buy and sell their own books.

Could you explain this last part a little more? Who is currently doing this?

This is not to say that CGC or CBCS will not make mistakes, but those mistakes should be minimal. Both companies have made, and will make a few mistakes, but until you take the "human factor" out of the equation, there is no way to stop that. Every company, in any industry, makes mistakes.

Certification is a safety net for collectors, the "good housekeeping seal of approval", if you will. Certification is also a way to help sellers to sell their books with the buyers confidence. A seller might pick up a large collection and they need to processes it to get it to market quickly, as they have paid a lot of money and, like any business, need to recoup their money to buy the next collection to offer to you. They might miss a small amount of writing on a page, might not have the best eye for restoration, can miss very light stains, not know a strange page count (13-16), and many other things. The good ones do the the best they can, but many rely on the experts in certification to help them process a collection quickly and as correctly as the certification company can.

So if CGC or CBCS make a mistake it's the "human factor", but if PGX makes a mistake they're shady? That's not how I feel personally but it's what I'm reading here. Seems a little hypocritical.

I love our hobby and want it to remain strong while bringing in new collectors. I have been doing this for the better part of my life because of my love for this incredible hobby and the friendships I have made in it. I was very lucky to have been taught the ethics of our hobby by friends like Bob Overstreet, James Payette, Jerry Weist, and many others. I want to pass those ethics along to everyone I can.

Post 268 IP   flag post
Collector VintageComics private msg quote post Address this user
Hey gang, just letting you all know I'm here.

Post 269 IP   flag post
Collector Nikelspot private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone, happy to be here for the friendships and being able to follow DrWatson again
Post 270 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton

1) Isn't this something you and the Mods should've already discussed?

2) Could you explain this last part a little more? Who is currently doing this?

3) So if CGC or CBCS make a mistake it's the "human factor", but if PGX makes a mistake they're shady? That's not how I feel personally but it's what I'm reading here. Seems a little hypocritical.

1) Not everyone has the breadth and depth of knowledge as you when it comes to the area of forum moderation.

2) Everyone knows that PGX purposefully perpetrates fraud. PGX is so crooked that when the company dies, it will have to be screwed into the ground. It's common knowledge.

3) He's is referring to honest mistakes. PGX puts books in erroneous holders with the intent to defraud. There's a difference. It could be analogous to asking legitimate question versus asking obtuse questions for the sake of trolling.
Post 271 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilverjanet
@greggy

STFU!

FU Manchu. Stay away from my hottie.
Post 272 IP   flag post
Collector 427Impaler private msg quote post Address this user
It's alive! So far it's a nice and relaxed atmosphere, nice to see.

As a car collector it is nice to see there are a couple of car guys here also, here is where my nickname came from:

Post 273 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintrageComics

there goes the neighborhood
Post 274 IP   flag post
Collector FForFake private msg quote post Address this user
Happy to see some familiar faces, and to have a new place to help me kill time at work! Now, make with the funny.
Post 275 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

2) Everyone knows that PGX purposefully perpetrates fraud. PGX is so crooked that when the company dies, it will have to be screwed into the ground. It's common knowledge.

Actually for # 2 I was referring to this: "Same goes with the so called "grading services" that buy and sell their own books." By using "Same goes..." after talking about PGX I thought he was referring to someone besides PGX. Either way, anyone can answer this question. Is anyone besides PGX currently (allegedly) slabbing their own books and selling them themselves?
Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageComics

And you are?
Post 277 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

Actually for # 2 I was referring to this: "Same goes with the so called "grading services" that buy and sell their own books." By using "Same goes..." after talking about PGX I thought he was referring to someone besides PGX. Either way, anyone can answer this question. Is anyone besides PGX currently (allegedly) slabbing their own books and selling them themselves?

Now that's a legitimate question, bravo!

I would also like to know. What other grading services are there?
Post 278 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageComics

And you are?

Complicated.
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Why you had to go and make things so constipated...?
Post 280 IP   flag post
601338 530 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?