Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

When is the next comic era and who decides?2491

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
So, just curious, but we've been in the "modern era" since what, late 80's early 90's? Something like that. How long will we continue to define late 80's early 90's as "modern." They are over 20 years old at this point. Is there some pre-determined criteria for when we draw the new line and start referring to those books as, I don't know, the "iron age" or something?

Just curious, and bored at work. Mostly bored at work.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
Probably going to be the "Digital Age" or something similar.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
After the modern age they have the multiple alternative cover age, which we still haven't left yet . . .
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The 80s and 90s are already being called Copper and Bronze. Not sure exactly when each begins and ends.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The 80s and 90s are already being called Copper and Bronze. Not sure exactly when each begins and ends.

You're right. I thought Copper Age stopped in the mid-80's, but looks like it covers early 90's too.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like we're fully in the variant age...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
Digital age. I read most of my comics digitally and only buy special keeper comics like first appearances.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
I refer to any thing past 1999 as the "millennial age", "digital age" would be another good term.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
There will be no more "age" names, because 1. no one can agree on what to call it, and 2. "age" names are, at their core, silly and arbitrary past a certain point.

The "Bronze Age" wasn't called that until some time in the 90's (still trying to nail that down), and the "Copper Age" is, essentially, a 00's invention.

Consider history...there are essentially "Golden" ages, which are functionally mythological, but there are no "Silver" ages.

There IS a "Bronze" age and an "Iron" age, and even a "Stone" age, but those literally refer to the prevailing materials used in the manufacture of tools, weapons, and vehicles.

I don't know of anyone who argues when the Golden Age began: Action Comics #1. But that is the only "age" delineator about which there is near unanimous agreement.

But everything else? Is SA Showcase #4, or FF #1? Is Bronze Conan #1, GL #76, 15 cent price? Is Copper age NTT #1, TMNT #1? Who knows? Gold, Silver, Bronze...maybe Copper...beyond that, it just gets silly.

"90s"

"00s"

"10s"

Pretty simple.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
There will be age names in the future. Just like bronze and copper came about, the next one is coming, and one after that as well. Collectors will never stand for calling ages 90s, 00s, etc lol. When? No idea, but as soon as someone popular enough manages to get something to stick; @Themaxx35 I like your idea 🍺

There will always be different opinions though. Even CBCS lists ages that most overlook/ignore
Post 10 IP   flag post
Yes, and those names will be "90s", "00s", "10s."

No one is going to come up with a new name that will stick, because there aren't any non-silly, non-deprecating names left.

"Foil Age"? (what about all the books that aren't foil?)

"Variant Age"? (what about all the books that aren't variants?)

"Gimmick Age"? (..etc.)

"Copper" isn't really all that accepted by a lot of people, because, after all, what does it mean? Is Copper somehow less than Bronze? It's supposed to be a progression...right?

No one is going to call their books "Tin Age" or "Aluminum Age" or somesuch. The named eras are done.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Eras are stupid. IMHO. I wish we would just go by decades.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hey Doc, what kind of toys did you play with as a kid?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

I turned 5 the weekend Star Wars came out...so I'll let you guess.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:

I turned 5 the weekend Star Wars came out...so I'll let you guess.

You're just a pup like your avatar!
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Whatever the last 10 years are will always be the modern age. That will slide forward in time as we do. The 15 years prior would be the Chromium Age most likely.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ive read some interesting conversations around the correlation between era changes and changes in CCA rules and standards.

Being that the Comics Code Authority no longer exists, would that by extension also mean that's era designations are no longer relevant?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Who decides? Probably Overstreet.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I agree with @shrewbeer. Just like golden age books aren't actually gold, and silver age books aren't actually silver, and so on, new "eras" in the future merely need names that encompass the most prevalent features of their time. So I do believe there will be shorthand names for current and future periods of collecting.

It would seem silly, however, to refer to these new eras as the iron or stone ages, which connote a level of advancement from prior years -- but also imply a lack of sophistication that is not representative of modern manufacturing and publishing techniques. So digital age is certainly a possibility, but what of future "ages" when everything is more digital?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen the '90s often referred to as the Chrome Age. Mostly due to the amount of chromium covers that were released.

The question now is, how long until it becomes standard.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
I've seen the '90s often referred to as the Chrome Age. Mostly due to the amount of chromium covers that were released.

"Chrome" sounds kinda silly, but it would fit the 90's gimmicks.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Things to consider:

1. The Golden Age was named in the 60's.

2. The Silver Age was named in the late 70's, maybe early 80's.

3. The Bronze Age was named in the early 90's.

4. Copper age came with the internet, maybe very late 90's/early 00's.

5. "Copper Age" isn't a widely used era designation, and has neither a clear start, nor a clear end, especially relative to the other eras.

6. It's been nearly 20 (or over 20, depending) since the last era was "named." People have been talking about "the next era name" since that time, and nothing has "stuck", precisely because of the self-limiting nature (and ever-shrinking periods of time they represent) of the previous eras.

PS. No, comic books weren't made of gold and silver. "Golden Age" has to do with the (perception of the) greatness of the era, the foundation of comics as an artform, not the most prevalent feature of the time.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Personally, I think the Copper Age should end, and the current age we are in begin with Batman #1 New 52. That's just my 5 cents (not 2 cents, because you know, the copper age is over.)
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

"Chrome" sounds kinda silly, but it would fit the 90's gimmicks.

Those "gimmicks" remain in some form or other. "Gimmicks" are used to sell books. They weren't the downfall of that era the influx and exit of inexperienced collectors from the sports card crash and the rather indulgent distribution system was the major cause. It was also a time of change mostly artistically and writing didn't keep up. So even without "gimmicks" there was lots of flash and not much substance. Nevermind the growing markets of other distracting easy to get media.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
simple.

The POST Modern age
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
PS. No, comic books weren't made of gold and silver.

Wait, are you sure?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Don't forget about the Atom Age. This is wedged between the Golden and Silver age. I think most collector's just classify it as Golden Age. I think the modern age should continue being called that for awhile.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Quote:
PS. No, comic books weren't made of gold and silver.

Wait, are you sure?

Maybe. I dunno. There might have been. But probably not.

Since then, however, there have been a couple.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Modern age is always the age we are in today. What has to be determined is where to cut off the end of Bonze and Copper. We don't need to name the age we are in until we are no longer in it, at which point the new age at the time will still be Modern and the age we are in today will be named something.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
It could really get confusing if we go the way of tv. They're currently in the "Third Golden Age of Television".
Post 30 IP   flag post
601285 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?