Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkSignatures

COLLECTING Personalized Sigs & Sketches2475

Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Back in the day my friend Art Spiegelman whom I have known since circa 1973 drew me as Obadiah Oldbuck and him as Maus. I had back then just recently had rediscovered the first comic book in America dating back to Sept

Post 1 IP   flag post
A couple years later during a Chicago comics show Chris Ware drew me also as Obadiah Oldbuck

Post 2 IP   flag post
Circa late 1980s I hosted Bill Sienkiewicz signing and such at my Haight Ashbury comic book store. We had fun that day - and he came thru yearly for a while.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Nice art!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool. The stories behind the art make it even better.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia +1
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
very cool. I'm trying to get Bill Sienkiewicz and Kevin Eastman to do a collaboration sketch cover for me right now. He agreed to do a "mail-in" to Kevin and it looks like it might actually happen. I'm excited.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh but on the OP title, I personally do not like personal autographs or sketches. I prefer them to be vague with no namesakes. I do that because the day I'm no longer around - I wish to make it a little easier for my family to sell my collection.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KaseyArt private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome! I have Maus
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics, great stuff as usual. I'm sure I'm not in the minority when I say that I truly appreciate your posts.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird I have known since before there ever was TMNT kicking around. When #1 was published I had pre-ordered 200 copies for my Bay Area stores back in 1984.

I fondly remember those guys once upon a time being so broke back then one of them had come to my SDCC tables around when TMNT first appeared, when the show was still at the downtown civic center auditorium, going thru boxes, pulling out reader copies building a ten buck stack, asking me if I would put em on 'hold' for a little while. He was going back to their table and hustle selling a few sketches and would be back with the ten bucks later in the day.

Soon thereafter they cut that Sat morn cartoon deal and TMNT sort of simply took off. Toys & action figures began soon after that.

Here I am with Kevin SDCC 2014. I had asked a guy there if he could take our pic with my color digital camera. Then after the show this B&W pic a different guy had taken which also shows the guy taking our pic which is just as neat.

The TMNT cover pictured is a contrib Kevin sent in to Russ Cochran for the benefit auction he volunteered to host Feb 2016 for Katy's healing from her 5th skull opening brain moving surgery. I love you, Kevin, and all those who stepped up to the plate to help me help her. Am hoping to finally begin to have the cosmic space time continuum align properly so I can attend comics shows again.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Back when Sergio Aragones was seeking a publisher for his then brand new character Groo co-created and written with long time friend Mark Evanier, he came up to the Bay Area for a week end doing signings at my Berkeley, San Francisco on Haight, then on Sunday we went up to my then Santa Rosa store.

While there then Eclipse publishers Dean Mullaney and Cat Yronwode came thru and the four of us went out for a late lunch at an outdoor eatery place. Sergio then began his sales pitch and began this Groo ink sketch which people tell me is one of his very earliest of the character.

The Tarzan piece was started as my felt tip pens were running out of color - this was the 1976 Berkeleycon held on the UC-Berkeley campus.

Circa 1976 Bill Gaines had come thru doing a signing at a "real" book store his publisher had arranged. Afterwards the late Clay Geerdes and I went up to his hotel room where he signed in my book.

Then maybe half a decade later Sergio saw that, said "that's my boss" and proceeded to draw Bill with a trailing mobile. Then maybe a decade later I met Al Feldstein who signed it at the top. We were in agreement that was the page he should be on.

So many fond memories of a life in comics.

Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics You gotta write a book man. Go talk to a publisher, with the guys you know that could be quoted as well, I'm sure it could be one helluva read 👍🏻
Post 13 IP   flag post
Wow I would love to pick your brain with endless questions
Post 14 IP   flag post
Now that Katy is moving inside healing mode after a rough repair period I am having more time working again on Comic Book Store Wars which I having been placing snippets over on my FaceBook page.

Had to place all the research on hiatus for a decade. CBSW is centered on the rise of the unfolding phenom of the comic book stores opening across America beginning in the mid 60s coupled with the myriad origin levels of what we came to call the Direct Market.

There will be special section on Pop Hollinger who opened the earliest presently known comic book store back in 1942. Claude Held issued his first comics only price list by 1955. Bill Thailing by 1958. Leonard Brown by 1959. Howard Rogofsky age then all of 16 by 1963.

There were hundreds of us young brash completely naive lost souls 40-50 years ago who fought a real war going all the way to SCOTUS a few times now. Late 60s thru early 70s comic book stores were perceived by many to be alien invasion bugs to be squashed exorcised eliminated. There were over 80 busts on comic book stores & such following the June 1973 ruling on Zap Comics #4

The origins of the DM have a nexus beginning when Print Mint took Zap Comics with Robert Crumb, Rick Griffin, Gilbert Shelton, etc summer 1968. I knew all the players on most levels of this business just being an accident of birth being 20 years old when me, Bud and John Barrett opened that first Comics and Comix store in the Bay Area Aug 1972 less than ten days after the first El Cortez Hotel San Diego Comicon coupled with seeking all these wondrous creators out. Brought quite a few in for store signings. Free to all.

Long time friend Walt Simonson also helped me help heal Katy contributing to her Russ Cochran hosted benefit auction last Jan 2016. My humble thanks forever to all of my friends in this wondrous art form which has been a part of American popular culture since 1842.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Ridley Scott premiered "Alien" at the Seattle Film Festival in 1978 with a shoestring budget. Phenomenal. I can't wait for the sequels this year.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Ridley Scott premiered "Alien" at the Seattle Film Festival in 1978 with a shoestring budget. Phenomenal. I can't wait for the sequels this year.

When Aliens debuted in San Francisco circa May 1979 20th Century Fox sent me 23 "free" premiere first showing tickets at IIRC named North Point Theater down towards Fisherman's Wharf. Lots of press.

I gave one to every 19 full time employees, closed the stores, sign hanging in front door windows, "Gone Alien"

We came out that experience moving verbal promo machines.

HR Geiger art also captured imaginations that summer - all summer in to Holidaze Season.

Am sure many were inspired by this Hugo Gernsback Amazing Stories pulp - cover for War of the Worlds by HG Wells inspired thousands of us over the decades. I love Ridley Scott movies - The Martian rocks as well!

Post 17 IP   flag post

Larry Todd is a long time friend of comics
Post 18 IP   flag post
First met Carl Barks at his first mid 1970s San Diego Comicon - this Uncle Scrooge is one of just two sketches he did all week end. Helen Hamilton, wife of the late much missed Bruce Hamilton, secured it for me by asking Carl. Asking him about his love of Hal Foster art on Tarzan and then Prince Valiant was a lot of fun.

Post 19 IP   flag post

Gary Hallgren remains a good friend for close to 45 years now. In retrospect mayhaps the Air Pirates creative studio should not have put out that second issue. Back then it was legal to satirize something some one just once which is why Mad magazine generally made fun of something just once. Twice is subject to copyright violations. This is what comic book lawyers told me back then. I am Chapter 19 of Bob Levin's excellent book Air Pirates vs The Mouse from Fantagraphics. It is the tale of how I got Walt Disney Company to lift their $750K judgement. A tale fully told in Comic Book Store Wars.

"Ever see the Kirk Douglas Spartacus movie?" is what I said to Dan O'Neill in the very late 70s.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Marshall Rogers was a very good friend whom we all miss. Back in the late 70s he began riding high off his Batman run with Steve Englehart writer and inker Terry Austin. This was done during a signing at one of my Bay Area stores back then. He had come thru closing his deal with Eclipse then HQ'd 41 miles north of my stores.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Wow that's really cool. I bet you have quite the portfolio!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
oh but on the OP title, I personally do not like personal autographs or sketches. I prefer them to be vague with no namesakes. I do that because the day I'm no longer around - I wish to make it a little easier for my family to sell my collection.

When I made my first submission for OA, I requested that the "character name" to be included on the label for better identification....but it didn't happen....*sighs*....

Maybe that will be a change we see in the future.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598094 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?