Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

New Mutants98 CBCS 9.8 Mark Jewelers Variant2443

Collector Carmbad private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone I just picked this up and I am not sure if this variant is worth any more than the regular issue. Any responses would be appreciated. Here is the link for the video where you can see it.

Thank you
Me!
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Some people specifically collect Mark Jewelers Inserts. I would think it would be worth a little more.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I think it'd be worth signifigantly more actually, anywhere from $100-$300 over a regular 9.8.

I'd check GoCollect and GPA for recorded sales of the book in 9.8.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
My Amazing Spider-man run from issues 100-200 are ALL Mark Jeweler's inserts! I picked the collection up from a soldier on ebay a few years ago

Most people agree they aren't worth anymore than a regular comic issue. A small fraction are on the fence. The only difference was the insert and the book's location being near a military base or outpost of some sort. I also do not think it's limited to overseas. These were scattered across US bases as well. Collectors who hunt specifically for MJI are the ones who you'd want to sell/appease to if trying to squeeze a few extra pesos out of the deal imo brah
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
found this..I had no idea either..
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
In the video, RE: Dr. Strange comic... So lemme get this straight: a UPC symbol is "ugly" and takes away from the look of the cover, but a hideous signature or signatures in black sharpie ON TOP OF the art doesn't? LMAO!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few Punishers with the jewelers ad, they don't seem to cost much more if at all

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=mark+jewelers&pubid=&PubRng=
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
My experience is most MJI collectors will pay a 10% or so premium for a common book in a Fine or better condition. I don't know if GPA breaks it down, but i'd be curious in the difference of an IM #55 or ASM #129 with and without the insert.

I like the MJI's even more than price variants and have little rationale as to why. I think it obviously adds a little bit to the provenance of a comic if anything. "This comic came from Fort Hood in Texas". Yahoo. I just find it interesting.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely find the MJI's interesting. While I wouldn't necessarily pay more for a MJI insert copy, if I were presented with two copies of the same issue - one with MJI and one without - I would absolutely go for the Mark Jewelers Insert copy first.

I liken it to car modifications. You wont necessarily get more money for the car but it will probably sell over a plain model first (assuming the proper audience of course)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
GPa does not identify if it's a mark jewelers edition. However if you check the Cgc bar code you will get the notation if it is the MJ. By looking at GPa a New Mutants 98 9.8 sold earlier in March for 1025.00 and it is a Cgc 9.8 Mark Jewelers variant. Likely the reason for the highest recorded sale for 2017. GPA does not track CBCS sales.
Post 10 IP   flag post
598095 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?