Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Overhang?? Do Not Encapsulate?2412

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I'm hoping someone can enlighten me? I'm confused. I searched the forum threads but can't find any. I cracked my Iron Man # 1 (1968), CGC 8.0 and Had it pressed and sent to CBCS. Just got it back today. Well, suprise, it wasn't graded. It had a sticker on it saying "Do Not Encapsulate: Overhang".

What is an overhang? Will CBCS refuse to grade this one? I gotta send it back to cgc then? 😮

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector NeganKilledMe private msg quote post Address this user
The cover of the comic book is lager than the interior pages. I would think encapsulation would damage the cover, hence why CBCS sent the book back ungraded.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@NeganKilledMe OIC. Seems kinda weird. They'll grade double covers, trimmed covers, but not overhanged covers. CGC has a FAQ on this I found:

New Holder FAQ

Q. Does the new holder allow for books that have overhang to be encapsulated?
A. The new holder can now accommodate books with overhang.

So I guess CBCS' case is not yet designed to accommodate this. Is this a printing defect? I've never heard of overhanged until now. How rare is it?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
That blows. I have a bunch of books with that issue (didnt actually think it was an issue at all), you're telling me I gotta send em to CGC if I want them graded? Balls.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer yup basically. I had this one in the new cgc case already but it had tons of newton rings so i wanted to swap it into a cbcs case. Gotta drop $60 to send it back to cgc now. 😑
Post 5 IP   flag post
Gross.

How much overhang are we talking?
Post 6 IP   flag post
From what i can tell about 1-2 millimeters on top and bottom of cover.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@KingNampa I would think any kind of holder that uses a inner well design would potentially damage a book with overhang. Which CGC holder was it in before you broke it out?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I thought you were talking like an eigth or a quarter lol. Half a mil? I guess I got lucky so far in my submissions, but I have a lot of 80s books with larger covers than the page. Wonder what the issue is that cgc seems to have solved?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@NeganKilledMe its was graded 7/1/2016 with inner well. CGC "fixed" the creep engine cases in june 2016. You can see the notes on verify #1292947012

CGC Verify
Post 10 IP   flag post
Maybe its not an inner well issue. It could have something to do with how much pressure the CGC case puts on the book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hmm. Ya we could speculate, but i'd like to hear the official response from a CBCS rep as to how much overhang disqualifies a book from their case. 1 millimeter? Would save everyone here time and money if they knew before hand not to send certain books to cbcs.
Post 12 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Overhang over time tends to curl inward and cause hard creasing to the paper (top edge), or if the book is stored improperly gravity can cause one or more edges to get crunched. I have seen and even rejected many books (the pressing side) due to the amount of overhang it had since I knew they would not be encapsulated. While many may trivialize this issue, it is the course of wisdom not to encapsulate the book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics that makes a lot of sense. However I have a cgc book at home with a good amount of overhang, and it looks great (maybe it hasn't been handled much?).

Are we then to conclude that this is an issue that CBCS heads off while CGC ignores it, or that CGC has a way to do it without risking in-slab future damage?
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@CFP_Comics that makes a lot of sense. However I have a cgc book at home with a good amount of overhang, and it looks great (maybe it hasn't been handled much?).

Are we then to conclude that this is an issue that CBCS heads off while CGC ignores it, or that CGC has a way to do it without risking in-slab future damage?

I have seen and know of many instances where CGC rejected books for encapsulation due to overhang and in some instances, foreign substances on the cover. Either of these can damage the book while it is in the slab due to the pressure the inner well puts on the cover. I can only reason that this does not happen with regular bags, boards and Mylar's due to the minimal pressure they put on the book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Good to know CBCS cares about not damaging books.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

What ERA book is it?
Post 17 IP   flag post
1982 in 9.8. I'd post a pic of the overhang but its at home. Definite overhang, and its still nice and straight (no bends or crumpling)

its the only CGC slab I own
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Overhang nottathang w/CGC in some instances, perhaps.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't take any pictures but I found it interesting. I deslabbed a CBCS book that had a thick piece of petg in the center of the book. The book had overhang i thought it was in there to keep the book in the well solid so it wouldn't damage the overhang by movement.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
How then does this explain the encapsulating of myriad of 60s books that were printed with "overhang"?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Hypothetical question but if i were to trim off the overhang of a book, back to its "original" dimensions. Would that then be able to be encapsulated? Lol. 🤣 How would they be able to detect the trimming if the measurements are what they are "supposed" to be. 😂
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Hypothetical question but if i were to trim off the overhang of a book, back to its "original" dimensions. Would that then be able to be encapsulated? Lol. 🤣 How would they be able to detect the trimming if the measurements are what they are "supposed" to be. 😂

I heard a serrated steak knife works best for this. Get a good back-and-forth sawing action going , it'll chew up the book quite well😁
Post 23 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I didn't take any pictures but I found it interesting. I deslabbed a CBCS book that had a thick piece of petg in the center of the book. The book had overhang i thought it was in there to keep the book in the well solid so it wouldn't damage the overhang by movement.

You are correct. We can encapsulate books with overhang on the right side in most cases, however overhang at the top/bottom are harder for us to keep the book from being damaged.

In answer to someone's question earlier, there is no set size of overhang that will get the book rejected. It's determined on a book by book basis.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
. We can encapsulate most books with overhang on the right side in most cases

Well that clears it up completely for me, the books I was thinking of in my collection are all right-hand. 👍🏻
Post 25 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Thanks for the clarification.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe use the new RAW grading instead.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Kanaloa That's a good idea, never thought about that. Thanks.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
There we go, the raw grade service has found its niche market.
Post 29 IP   flag post
600659 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?