Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
So this is a rant cause I'm mad. I purchased a trading card on eBay. (Yes it's not comics just need a place to vent and you guys deal with eBay as well) The card showed up on March 17. It was shipped February 27 which is a long time when it was shipped 1st class mail. That's not the problem though.

I opened the envelope and the graded card was broken in half and the card torn. I emailed the gentleman that sold me the card and he blaims usps for it. I tell him it was slow shipping but the card was destroyed by the inadequate packaging. Told him I would also file a claim against him.

He just emailed back saying it was my fault and I should have filed with eBay and emailed him sooner because of the slow shipping. Also he used a regular envelope instead of a bubble mailer cause he was leaving on a business trip and that's all they had.

Told him it did not fall into eBay's lost item claim as it arrived before 30 days and the tracking was updated every couple of days and that dosent count. the item was damaged because he did not package it correctly.

Come on. This is crap if you package like crap and the item is damaged it is your fault. Not the buyers.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
You can start a case on PayPal for item not as described.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Towmater that's what I am thinking about doing. I threatened it and he seems to not care.

I guess the real question is what do I put on his negative feedback?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
@cseale: SellerDidntPackageCardProperly&ItArrivedDamaged.Refuses2GiveMeRefund.Avoid! (Uses 75 of your 80 characters.)
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay will ALWAYS side with the buyer. That seller is gonna get it. Open a case, brah
Post 5 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke just started the process on paypal. Sent him a request for a full refund with the option that he can have the item back as long as he pays for shipping.

Would you also open a case on eBay?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Well I would have done ebay first. But, what's done is done, don't do a double case with both. Let's see how this goes
Post 7 IP   flag post
Personally, I would open every case available to me before the window for that option closes. (Some don't give you a ton of time to do so.) I would even contact my credit card company and see if I could open one there as well. I'm in the middle of a dispute now with a seller who won't do the right thing, and I'm going to hit him with EVERY possible option available to me!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hmm maybe that's something worth trying after all?
Post 9 IP   flag post
lol this is the email I just got from him.

Recommend you contact eBay. The item was packaged correctly. Unsure if you removed anything from the package but eBay should make a decision regarding your $12 refund.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
Just open a case with eBay, He messed up, he will have the money taken out of his account and returned to you. I would also leave him negative feedback for being a dick.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseale0223

Recommend you contact eBay. The item was packaged correctly. Unsure if you removed anything from the package but eBay should make a decision regarding your $12 refund.

Another thing: When I receive a package, I ALWAYS whip-out the old iphone, put it on a tripod, and record myself opening the package. Along with the date and time, I include running commentary about the exterior condition of the package noting any damage, and the condition of each book received, noting all the flaws I see. I flip through every page of every book I receive ON CAMERA. That way there can be no disputing in what condition I received the item you sent me.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Tried to do eBay but when I do it it goes to requesting a return and then says PayPal reports we cannot open a return.

@TruckJohnson I wish I had done that but this is the first crap seller I have dealt with. Everyone else just does a refund after the first email.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Cseal: We've all been screwed over. You live and lean. This is why I do what I do, the way I do it now.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseale0223

Another thing: When I receive a package, I ALWAYS whip-out the old iphone, put it on a tripod, and record myself opening the package. Along with the date and time, I include running commentary about the exterior condition of the package noting any damage, and the condition of each book received, noting all the flaws I see. I flip through every page of every book I receive ON CAMERA. That way there can be no disputing in what condition I received the item you sent me.

Not sure how well this would hold up in court unless it's done in the presence of the postal worker, with them handing you the package in one unbroken sequence. Otherwise how can it be proven the package you're opening in your recording wasn't packaged or altered by you?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Assuming it goes to court, that is.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Sigs: None of this is going to court. It ain't that deep. But it takes away the "he said she said zero sum" defense: It's easy for sellers to "claim" they packed something properly when I say they didn't. But it's quite another thing when I'm able to show and PROVE how you actually packed it. I've only had to let a seller know that I do this on one occasion. I posted it on Vimeo and sent him a link. Later that day I received a refund.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
We packaged it correctly
We didnt have the proper envelope and we were in a hurry

WHICH IS IT
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Kav this is what I said when I read his email. I have all his emails saved for evidence.
Post 19 IP   flag post
yeah you'll get your money, he'll get bad feedback. win-win
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Kav do I give the neg feedback now or wait?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Now. There's nothing he can do to stop the refund.
Post 22 IP   flag post
and remember next time open an ebay case so he gets a strike
Post 23 IP   flag post
I suppose I should mention I say all this with some SERIOUS books and $$$ in mind, not a relatively low $ purchase.

I've no doubt it can work with an honest seller, but without visual evidence of what the package looks like before it is in your possession, it can't be 100% proven to anyone that what is being opened on the video is exactly what the seller shipped.

So- IF you run across one of those underhanded sellers looking for sneaky ways to make more money, remember they're crafty and will probably recognize this window of opportunity.

I'm only saying it isn't iron clad. I HATE "getting German newspapers instead of Amazing Fantasy #15" stories, and I'm glad you don't have any
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Kav Im going to call eBay tomorrow over it and see what they say. Since it wont let me file both claims.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Leaving negative feedback is a waste of time, aside from the feeling of vengeance it gives (which is not insubstantial, admittedly.) Very few people check feedback anymore.

Much more damaging to a seller is 1. low DSRs ("stars" ), and the terrible "case closed without seller resolution; decided by eBay in favor of buyer", which essentially prevents someone from being a Top Rated Seller.

Question: how did you open a Paypal case if this was an eBay purchase? Paypal will always default to eBay, automatically, in situations like this. Did you call them?

As frustrating as it is, for your peace of mind, no need to get upset. The bad old days on eBay are long gone. Believe it or not, there used to be a time when there was no way to contact eBay directly; you had to do it through e-mail, which could be oh so easily ignored.

Try sending a money order for $1,000 through the mail, and hoping 1. your item even shows up, and 2. it was what the seller claimed it was.

Because you were SOL otherwise. There was NO way to do anything about it, aside from going to the state where the seller lived and suing them (like that's going to happen.)

I sued an eBay seller in 2007. I was tired of the shit that had been sent to me for almost a decade. I won. His name is Rick Berry, and he lives in SoCal.

He never paid the judgment...these scumbags never do...but he won't get away with it forever. Eventually, the mountains are leveled, and the valleys filled.
Post 26 IP   flag post
they will probably say yes sir once you open a case with paypal they will handle the refund opening a case with us at the same time would be redundant and confusing and slow things down thats why you have to do one or the other. you should always open a case with ebay unless the time period is up then paypal.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@DocBrown you click resolution center and find the transaction and then just fill in the information a lot like eBay's. Never done anything for 1000 done more high bid items (500-600) worried until i held the item.

@Kav okay. Never done this so wasnt sure what to do.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I always check feedback on sellers, I've actually paid more for a book just because of 100% feedback vs 99% with a bunch of negatives. Also eBays system sucks, because sellers who do huge volume can rack up dozens of negatives and still stay in 98-99% territory. It's a seriously flawed system.
Post 29 IP   flag post
likewise
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 199 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.