Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What do you think of the new CGC holder?234

Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicMadman
Why the CGC Holder is doomed to fail, courtesy of Ditch..

I feel sea sick
Post 451 IP   flag post
Here is a personal favourite

Class action lawsuit anyone?
Post 452 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 453 IP   flag post
CGC are immoral and CBCS I wish you all the luck in the world
Post 454 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I really don't care if it is happening to a minority of books as CGC claims. This shouldn't be happening at all.

I too will avoid anything slabbed in the new slab.
Post 455 IP   flag post

Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterus023

Oh my!! I'm definitely woozy.
Post 456 IP   flag post
The really bad thing about all this is that some may now feel like they need to get their comics pressed who aren't at all fans of this process. For me I don't mind pressing at all but I appreciate those that do. So surely CGC should have to heavily compensate as why should some who strongly feel that pressing is a form of restoration now have to go down this route to get their comic back looking not wavy?

It is truly awful what CGC have done. I am shocked not by what has been done (as so many people are immoral when money is involved) but I am shocked at why a successful business would try and trip themselves up the way they have. Did not one person say come on lads this will end very badly.
Post 457 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I just returned to collecting after a two year hiatus and I am glad that I stumbled upon CBCS and this forum before I bought any new CGC slabs. CBCS didn't exist when I left, so it was a nice surprise to see a new grading company with a good reputation pop up on the scene. I can't believe CGC is going to continue putting out slabs that are actually harming the books and act like everything is fine. It doesn't take a degree in physics to understand the damaging effects of differential pressure, and it's obvious they pushed out a design that was based around cost savings rather than archival protection with zero field testing first. All my slabbing business will be going to CBCS and I won't ever buy any of these new CGC slabs off eBay. If any dealers choose to stick with CGC during this train wreck they are going to loose money, no one will willingly buy a slab that causes damage instead of protecting the investment.
Post 458 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's my book. My ex partner has it, and told me it looked bad. I didn't realize how bad..
Post 459 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
if i were to send cbcs my books right when i get them back from cgc in the case (ss) could they crack them out immediately before the possibility of waves happens?
Post 460 IP   flag post
Collector Thorrodin private msg quote post Address this user
In regards to Ditch's video, several of the books in it as examples of wave damage are mine. I thought you would like more info. The books came back in the first iteration with severe Newton Rings on all - 47 books. I sent them back for re-holdering, so the second iteration they came back with most having reduced Newton rings, but some were even worse, but they were all nice and flat. Four weeks later, bam, waves on almost every one of them. The worst waves are on the ones with the least Newton rings, which validates Ditch's chart showing why this case is doomed to fail. You use a lot of pressure keeps it flat but you get Newton Rings and possible staple damage, flattened spine, etc....you use a little pressure and you get waves and a potentially loose comic. When using pressure (instead of an inner well) there is no middle ground that can be achieved on EVERY comic due to varying size, thickness, paper stock, pressure load, etc.....way too many variables that require human decision making on each case. I am not wasting my time sending these for them to have a third try as there is no way they can fix a design that is fundamentally flawed from a pure physics standpoint and that requires so much human decision making on how to assemble the case. Opening the case is tedious, time consuming and high risk which is another negative. I will NEVER BUY ANY books in the new cases until the Newton rings are ELIMINATED (or at least reduced to old case levels which was pretty limited) or that could exhibit waviness, even IF PRESSED (most books you buy in the new cases are most likely pressed nowadays anyway lol).
Post 461 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorrodin
In regards to Ditch's video, several of the books in it as examples of wave damage are mine. I thought you would like more info. The books came back in the first iteration with severe Newton Rings on all - 47 books. I sent them back for re-holdering, so the second iteration they came back with most having reduced Newton rings, but some were even worse, but they were all nice and flat. Four weeks later, bam, waves on almost every one of them. The worst waves are on the ones with the least Newton rings, which validates Ditch's chart showing why this case is doomed to fail. You use a lot of pressure keeps it flat but you get Newton Rings and possible staple damage, flattened spine, etc....you use a little pressure and you get waves and a potentially loose comic. When using pressure (instead of an inner well) there is no middle ground that can be achieved on EVERY comic due to varying size, thickness, paper stock, pressure load, etc.....way too many variables that require human decision making on each case. I am not wasting my time sending these for them to have a third try as there is no way they can fix a design that is fundamentally flawed from a pure physics standpoint and that requires so much human decision making on how to assemble the case. Opening the case is tedious, time consuming and high risk which is another negative. I will NEVER BUY ANY books in the new cases until the Newton rings are ELIMINATED (or at least reduced to old case levels which was pretty limited) or that could exhibit waviness, even IF PRESSED (most books you buy in the new cases are most likely pressed nowadays anyway lol).

Thanks for the post and background information. I'm truly sorry about what has happened to your books.
Post 462 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing is nothing but CGC's scapegoat. Pressing isn't causing the waves at all, the differential pressure caused by the case design itself is the cause. If CGC had any integrity left they would shut down encapsulation immediately instead of harming more books, admit the design is fundamentally flawed and start from scratch with a new design. It doesn't matter if that will take them 18 months, time for them to put on their big boy pants and suck it up.
Post 463 IP   flag post
Collector ComicMadman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

To your point about variables.

CGC flat out stated publicly that the new process is more an "art form" which is scary as heck.
Post 464 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicMadman
Quote:

To your point about variables.

CGC flat out stated publicly that the new process is more an "art form" which is scary as heck.

Agree.
A ridiculous statement.
Post 465 IP   flag post
Collector stophmaster private msg quote post Address this user
I know pretty much how the forum members here feel about the new CGC holder, but I wonder what the general consensus amongst other collectors is? I'm on Instagram a lot, and I haven't seen any squawking about it there. I even posted a link to Ditch's YouTube video, with no response or discourse. I've asked some people who are proudly displaying their newly slabbed CGC books and no one seems to care or maybe know about these issues. Maybe it will take some time for the less knowledgeable to figure it out...? Anyone been to any cons lately and talked to any of the bigger dealers about their opinions on this subject?
Post 466 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
That new case RUINS books.
Post 467 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stophmaster
I know pretty much how the forum members here feel about the new CGC holder, but I wonder what the general consensus amongst other collectors is? I'm on Instagram a lot, and I haven't seen any squawking about it there. Maybe it will take some time for the less knowledgeable to figure it out...? Anyone been to any cons lately and talked to any of the bigger dealers about their opinions on this subject?

Guessing only 10-20% of folks know about the horrible new CGC case. Spread the word, folks. Used to love CGC, but the new case RUINS books. It sucks and HAS GOT TO GO.
Post 468 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I know pretty much how the forum members here feel about the new CGC holder, but I wonder what the general consensus amongst other collectors is? I'm on Instagram a lot, and I haven't seen any squawking about it there. I even posted a link to Ditch's YouTube video, with no response or discourse. I've asked some people who are proudly displaying their newly slabbed CGC books and no one seems to care or maybe know about these issues. Maybe it will take some time for the less knowledgeable to figure it out...? Anyone been to any cons lately and talked to any of the bigger dealers about their opinions on this subject?

I know that some of the same folks here are on the CGC boards, but the posters over there have been pretty vocal. I have seen a few more videos up in YouTube about the case. I've been even talked to shop owners who submit books on behalf of customers and they were baffled at it. As far as the overall collector market's thoughts on it, I'd be interested to know. Also, there are probably folks who aren't talking about it on the boards.
Post 469 IP   flag post
Collector Marc_1 private msg quote post Address this user
Bottom line for me is none of my books are going to CGC until they prove to me the cases aren't problematic. I need a lot of evidence before I send any books in.

CBCS is getting a nice stack of ECs and DCs from me soon.
Post 470 IP   flag post
Collector aggr1103 private msg quote post Address this user
The thread about the issues with the new CGC case over on the CGC boards keeps getting whitewashed. Ditch's video was removed, and basically any comment to the effect of "I don't trust their product anymore" gets removed as well.
Post 471 IP   flag post
It's no surprise. I want their case to succeed. If they can fix it without having to retool the whole thing, i'll be happy for them.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude and I'm not posting in that thread on the CGC boards anymore. It's gone past beating a dead horse.
Post 472 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I was excited about the new design, but having seen it in action, it's very flawed. The pressure put on the spine for long periods of time can cause splits, popped staples, etc.

The only thing they can do is scrap it and go back to the old design with a new plastic or start from scratch.

Unless CGC does one of those things, I'm done with them.
Post 473 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

I know that some of the same folks here are on the CGC boards, but the posters over there have been pretty vocal. I have seen a few more videos up in YouTube about the case. I've been even talked to shop owners who submit books on behalf of customers and they were baffled at it. As far as the overall collector market's thoughts on it, I'd be interested to know. Also, there are probably folks who aren't talking about it on the boards.

The two local shops that I frequent submit books to CGC on behalf of their customers. Both shops have told me that they have put a hold on submissions until the case issues get resolved due to complaints from customers.
Post 474 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

The two local shops that I frequent submit books to CGC on behalf of their customers. Both shops have told me that they have put a hold on submissions until the case issues get resolved due to complaints from customers.

I was telling my shop owner about the issues today and he was dumbfounded at the damages caused. We both agree that whether it is hapening on one or a hundred books it is too much.
Post 475 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago19
Quote:

Oh my!! I'm definitely woozy.

That's just unreal.
Post 476 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Quote:

That's my book. My ex partner has it, and told me it looked bad. I didn't realize how bad..

Hope you don't mind I put the pic on here.

How long did it take for it to fold in like that?
Post 477 IP   flag post
Collector Treco private msg quote post Address this user
Please forgive my ignorance and laziness ( I don't feel like combing through pages of posts to find this answer) but, why did CGC change the slab design in the first place?
Post 478 IP   flag post
Several reasons.

1. The company making the Barex for the inner well went out of business. So they needed to do a redesign

2. The old case had problems with shaken comics so they wanted to fix that when they redesigned the holder

3. Because CBCS came out with a better holder and CGC needed to step up their game.

Unfortunately, they failed horribly.
Post 479 IP   flag post
Collector Treco private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_1
Several reasons.

1. The company making the Barex for the inner well went out of business. So they needed to do a redesign

2. The old case had problems with shaken comics so they wanted to fix that when they redesigned the holder

3. Because CBCS came out with a better holder and CGC needed to step up their game.

Unfortunately, they failed horribly.

Thanks for the answers. I've tried to keep up with this side of the conversation. I've avoided the talk across the hall for the most part. It seems to me that things have been calmer here. Thankfully.
Post 480 IP   flag post
600649 500 30