Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What do you think of the new CGC holder?234

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Do you love it? Do you hate it? Perhaps you're indifferent? Are you comfortable with what seems to be static and pressure holding your book in place? If it's hit hard enough, will the insides separate from the cover? Will it tear at the staples? Is it too much like the CBCS holder? Do you like the prism/oil slick/Newtonian effect? Could you use it as a disco ball? Do you need a special tool to crack it open? What do you really think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Front:

Back:

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
That slab must be from heaven as it's wearing a halo.

Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't had a chance to hold one in my hands yet but I've seen too many articles about how it's a "game changer" or a "revolution" that I already know it won't live up to it in my mind. Looks pretty enough, I guess.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
I've not seen one in the flesh yet, but I've got 4 books going through the process, so .. we'll soon see.

Looking at it from the perspective of a bloke who doesn't really do this for an investment, I don't think the whole Newton Rings kefuffle is really going to bother me; but I can see the whole "doesn't present well" point of guys who've spent mucha $ on their books. If I was bothered about losing a trump-load of money, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Newton Rings aside, all they've done is matched the already awesome CBCS cases. The one grade point that they have above CBCS, is that the "frosting" around the edge has been eliminated. I look forward to CBCS sorting that out sometime soon
Post 6 IP   flag post
What concerns me the most is that the book in the cgc holder seems to only be sandwiched between the two haves of the inner sleeve. There is no well for the book to sit in.

The CBCS slab still has an inner well where the book is sitting within a recess. Less chance for movement and less chance for damage around the staples.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
I agree totally, and I look forward to CGC reintroducing the inner well in the near future (because that's the only way the Newtonian effect is going to be lessened, methinks)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector djpinkpanther67 private msg quote post Address this user
I will have an opinion sometime in June when my submissions come back.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
The Newtonian effect is very, very unappealing in scans. I haven't held one yet to see how it looks in person.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector RebellionComics private msg quote post Address this user
I do like the top label and how it is in the case rather than just a sticker I've seen to many start peeling up
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
The grade while a lot more prominent almost looks photoshopped on and if you didn't know about the change you might think it was
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Namrepus28 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't like how they've moved the "WHITE Pages" to the square that has the grade. It seems out of place. It was fine where it was before.

Also, the CBCS holders are still more informative.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector djpinkpanther67 private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if these issues will affect current/near future submission numbers for both companies?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Well, I'm not going to chime in too strongly here, but knowing my own tendency for verbosity this will end up being lengthy. But the bottom line is this, if what I'm seeing turns out to be the status quo, most if not all of my future submissions will be CBCS.

First, on the up side, ...the new CGC holder is clearer. The added clarity gives the new holders similar appeal as CBCS holders. Unfortunately, that's where the comparisons end.

From a presentation standpoint the Newtonian issue is serious. I'm sure most folks in the collecting community have been following it closely, but visual appeal is only one factor we should be considering.

The oversized grading box that projects like a neon sign on the new label makes the book within seem less important than the grade. From my perspective, that's just a poor aesthetic choice. The only thing that might be more useful to those having difficulty reading grades would be a Braile bump label.

As an artist with a bit of knowledge about presentation and marketing, I feel design is a critical part of any packaging. And IMO, purely from an aesthetic perspective, the new CGC packaging from product design to label is not an improvement.

Newton rings aren't new by any means, but in prior holders when the anomaly occurred the contact points were usually on the front and back, not along more fragile, stress prone areas like the spine.

I have growing concern that added pressure is being placed on spine and edges. This may not be an issue with most modern comics, but the possibility of spine splits should be of concern to those who deal and collect GA comics which may have already been stressed to excess by the crack-out and press cycle of eternal grade bump seekers.

Matt addressed the ongoing research into correcting the Newton ring problem this morning on the CGC boards. A promise of free reholdering for those unhappy with Newton rings on recent orders has been made. This is a positive step as it recognizes the seriousness of the problem.

As a person who desires nothing more than a healthy competitive market with two smoothly running, profitable, grading services capable of providing first class product, my hopes are for a quick resolution to this problem for the good of the hobby.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Other than removing the inner well (which may be problematic to the structural integrity of the comic in the long-term if not at least mildly unattractive due to the Newtonian effect); what is so dang special about the new cases? Serious question.

The first thing I notice is that the grade is darker and maybe slightly larger which almost distracts my eye from the book which is probably just due to the fact that they are using better plastic now. The second is that the shading on the label is a little different. Forgive my criticism here but I honestly feel like CGC has been resting on their laurels as the only "legit" game in town for way too long. Rising prices, rigid tiers, absurdly late TAT's and fees for everything. I think that CBCS showed CGC what they should have been doing all along and now CGC is trying not to look like they are sleeping at the wheel by following CBCS with tier adjustments and now new cases and I also think that there are many CGC loyalists out there who cant stand the fact that CBCS is legitimate competition to CGC and now believe that these new cases are somehow proof of CGC's innovation and leadership in the industry. Personally these new cases are a bit of a improvement over the old ones but I really dont think its justifies all the hype.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Evangelon private msg quote post Address this user
I just got one back and can honestly say they've lowered the standards in Regards to grading as well. Got a 9.8 with a color breaking spine tick and other multiple issues which should have rendered it a 9.4 That beautiful oil slick that hugs the outside edges of the book is not really a plus.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
This is off topic, but I did not think a new thread would be worthy of this question. I have seen some CGC cardboard storage boxes. Similar to the regular long box, but they fit the graded books. Does CBCS have these, and if so, how can I get one?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

i looked at these pics over and over and have no idea where a problem is on the case. Nothing was showing up on the computer I was using and now my phone either
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector MusterMark private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

i looked at these pics over and over and have no idea where a problem is on the case. Nothing was showing up on the computer I was using and now my phone either

Hi,
In the second pic (of the back cover), look along the spine/right edge of the book, and also the left edge of the book. You will see what looks like "discoloration" up and down the spine and the left edge. THAT is the Newton Rings effect.
Post 20 IP   flag post
It's more noticeable on this one:

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrepus28
I don't like how they've moved the "WHITE Pages" to the square that has the grade. It seems out of place. It was fine where it was before.

This x 1,000.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Also, the more prominent numerical grade looks like it's for the visually impaired. Too "loud."
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector jsilverjanet private msg quote post Address this user
Hm
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Also, the more prominent numerical grade looks like it's for the visually impaired. Too "loud."

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
I like the back of the CGC label more than the front. But I have not seen it in person yet. I am sending five books there soon enough, so will judge on that basis.

I also think, as noted above, and as often happens when there is relative monolopy on something, that CGC became a bit entitled to collectors's business and stopped innovating and showed signs of lazy client care. CBCS is forcing them to play catch-up.

And since can trust both of CBCS and CGC for grading and resto checks, the extras (holders, client care, shipping flexibility etc.) will determine where submissions go. Competition is good for the hobby!
Post 27 IP   flag post
ah that. yeah I don't seem too concerned about that. I have this book that I bought a frame for and I got this UV static cling sticker like thing that goes over the front and it does the same sort of thing
Post 28 IP   flag post
One used to be able to slide a piece of paper between the outer shell and the inner well and get rid of the prism spots, but the new slab is sealed all the way around so that's a no go.

What I find the most amusing is that after spending years working the convention circuit and listening to CGCers tell me everything that was wrong with the CBCS holder, the cgc turns right around and incorporates a lot of the same features into their "new" holder.

They should should have "borrowed" their inner well design as well. It would have gotten them a lot more mileage than trying to trademark a damn star.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector IncentiveComic private msg quote post Address this user
I'm very happy with my CBCS holder. Perfect for me.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600782 500 30