Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Reviews of IRON FIST coming in, not good...2304

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
my wife burned through them all in 2 days. she said it's really good. her humor and tastes overall are really dry too.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
I watched episode 1 and part of 2.

I'll watch more just to see where they take it but I'm not expecting them to get any awards
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Starting off with the slow orgin was not the best idea, but once through it I think the show has been great. Havent gotten to 7 yet, good to know its something to look forward to!
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Starting off with the slow orgin was not the best idea, but once through it I think the show has been great. Havent gotten to 7 yet, good to know its something to look forward to!

Yah, the origin is cliche and dull and not done very well, but Danny's relationship w/his father has some significance later on.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
They should have had The RZA direct every episode.
Post 55 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
They should have had The RZA direct every episode.

I was actually under the impression that he did
Post 56 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I watched ep 1 and 2. The dojo woman is very attractive. The sister of the brother is not. The origin story is slow. Reminds me of Arrow, but a plane instead of a boat. Does anyone else think this kid Danny could use a shower and some clothes and shoes? Is he not going to get his costume or tattoo until season 3 like Daredevil? arg with the cookie cutter format of Marvel Netflix superhero shows! Stupid Hollywood. I miss the glory days, the "all or nothing" days, the "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" days. I am a YUGE kung fu fan. I own 400 fung fu films, many out of print films from the Shaw Bros vault... I have a Bruce Lee dragon tattoo. This show is not kung fu. It's more like the poor lady's dojo self defense classes in real life.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I finally watched the first episode last night. I was explaining how it went down to my teenage sons and they were cracking up. They both said" that sounds just like Arrow." It does seem to have a lighter feel to it than Luke Cage and JJ. I am looking forward to watching the rest of it soon. Good martial arts parts. @kaptainmyke Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry is a bad ass movie. Love that era od film. Great car action.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Yes, he gets a shower and a shave. Everything else you have to watch for.

It gets a lot better w/each episode, I think, w/some minor lulls when Rosario makes the scene.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I finished the season over a few days. For me it was a lot like Supergirl, it wasn't very good but I couldn't figure out why I was still sitting there watching it lol. The "Martial arts" were really weak. You have the "Iron Fist Master" that hits a bad guy ten times and the bad guy keeps getting up or just runs away. Not a very accomplished fighter if you ask me. And the nurse that shows up in EVERY Marvel show? Does she take an ad out in the paper? "Are you a super hero? Are you currently wounded? Call Habias and associates...err..I mean call me I'm a nurse.

I did enjoy watching Ward and his father. Their relationship and Ward's journey to the dark side was interesting to me.

The end of the season was super predictable. I won't be watching a second season, if there is one.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I was overjoyed when all of the "comics" shows were coming out and that were serious, not comedic. But now most are just getting ridiculous. Gotham, DD and Jessica Jones are still really good. DC Legends, I'm on the fence with this one. I hope it gets better. Supergirl, I started out liking it but as it progressed, the political correctness started to set in and now its just getting old and boring. The Flash is still just "okay". I'm probably most critical of The Green Arrow. It seems to rehash the same thing over and over again. Oh, the hypocrisy of it all! Oliver with the "do as I say, not as I do" is just as stupid as the fight scenes. I'm over that one.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Carmbad private msg quote post Address this user
I did not like this series at all. First of all, I didn't see any real character development throughout the series. The plot was weak and I wasn't even sure who the "bad" guy or girl was supposed to be. I am positive the creators didn't know either. The fighting was horrible! I know.. he can still kick my a$$ but the fighting in Daredevil was above and beyond this and he's not even a trained Iron Fist! Here is my biggest peave with the show. I was so tired of hearing the hand fighting the fist or the fist fighting the Hand that I literally muted some parts of the show. The ending was horrible and for them not to know who was sitting behind them listening to the conversation was absurd! Then the sister completely changes her character at the last second of the last episode.. Dumb! I have watched Daredevil twice.. all episodes and I honestly couldn't wait for Iron Fist to be over. The only character who I did like was The brother Ward. He did a great job. In the beginning you hated him, then you felt sorry for him, then you liked him. He did a complete 180 and I wish some of the other characters would of followed suit.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster I stopped watching Supergirl as well due to the political preaching and other characters "choices"

@Carmbad I agree, Ward became the most interesting part for me as well.

Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones and didn't enjoy it
Haven't seen Luke Cage yet. Daredevil drove me crazy..I'm so sick of these Heroes just talking, shut up and through the bad guy off the building already. This is why I never liked Spider-man or Deadpool, they talk too much.
Post 63 IP   flag post
@mattness I would suggest giving Jessica Jones another try. I thought it was done really well. Killgrave hands down is the best villian of all the Netflix Marvel shows done so far.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Danny already has his tattoo, they just take a few episodes before you see it.

Spoiler Alert: Danny left before completing his training, it's why he isn't as good as the Iron Fist should be.

RZA definitely did not direct every episode. Each episode shows the director in the opening credits, the only one I noticed him on was episode 6. But he might have been in there between 1-3 because I hadn't started paying attention. Currently on episode 10 I think.

Jessica Jones is awesome.

I love Supergirl, despite the political shenanigans.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Iron Fist was disappointing. Part of the problem is high standards to live up to, as I have loved all the Marvel Netflix offerings to date.

It's much to slow. They should have spent much more time on Iron Fist and his mystical origins and a whole lot less time on Danny Rand, the Rand corporation and Danny's place in this world. Who cares? It's supposed to be about Iron Fist.

I'm low hanging fruit when it comes to comic related movies and series adaptations. So I didn't hate it. But there isn't a single episode I'd watch again. I might watch the hall fight again. That is after all something that has become a signature of a Netflix Marvel adaptation. The hero has to have some massive brawl in a hallway.....

After 13 hours, Danny still doesn't really understand shit about his abilities, he doesn't really know what he wants to do, he hasn't had any meaningful effect on his sworn enemies and viewers haven't seen K'un-Lun, the immortal dragon or have any clue as to Iron Fist's training. Yawn....

I gave it three stars on my Netflix review - but I was being nice. It deserved less as it is overall a disjointed mess. Thank goodness Coleen Wing, Gao and Ward had interesting moments.
Post 66 IP   flag post
The show is very low budget, there's no way they could have done anything with K'un-Lun that would be satisfying.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Yeah, they couldn't even swing the budget enough to have him Iron Fist his fist enough. For a show named Iron Fist, there's not much of Iron Fist. "Slow Burn: The Life and Times of Danny Rand" would be more appropriate.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't watched it yet. My wife likes it and recommended watching it. She had no idea who Iron Fist was so she watched it expecting a dramatic story rather than a superhero show.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_2199
I haven't watched it yet. My wife likes it and recommended watching it. She had no idea who Iron Fist was so she watched it expecting a dramatic story rather than a superhero show.

You tell your wife that SHE IS AWESOME!
Post 70 IP   flag post
I'm going to try and do this without spoilers....I don't feel it was a slow burn or a slow show. The fighting was fooled to an untrained eye viewer who doesn't study or know kung fu movies. A lot of Danny's up close combat was obviously an extra in low/no lighting frames. Some of those fights where total blackout frames when hits or roundhouse kicks landed on opponents.

I watched the entire first season. I was amazed and engaged the entire show, except the finale.

I can figure everything else out for the most part but - I have 3 big questions:

When Danny did the Iron Fist ground pound in the boss man's office, every window, door, table, picture frame shattered into a million glass pieces. Looked cool. You and I both know that the "Hand tablet" would have been smashed, too. Disconnected.

Also, when saying goodbye to the boss man, they did not execute the intended action to make him say goodbye for good. Instead, they decided to cremate the remains of said boss man. What gives?

In the finale, If a certain unamed someone was clobbered on the head with a golf club and drew a LOT of blood....is it safe to assume he has the same abilities as the one who smacked him upside the head?

Thank you.

Delete any of my post or edit it if you think it's a spoiler.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
The show is very low budget, there's no way they could have done anything with K'un-Lun that would be satisfying.

Getting the origin and story within hailing distance of the original material wouldn't have affected the budget.

The only thing they got right were the names...and even then they miss a little.

Unless this series is totally based on some new story I haven't read, it's not even close
Post 72 IP   flag post
i never read it so i was wondering how much "swing and miss" is on the meter.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
i never read it so i was wondering how much "swing and miss" is on the meter.

So far the only things they're getting wrong are the origin, motivations of the characters and the main thrust of the original storyline this appears to be based on.

They've got the names correct for the most part, the glaring one is in the comics the company is Rand-Meachum and not just Rand. Which I feel is an important distinction since Harold Meachum and Wendell Rand were partners...calling it just Rand makes it seem like everyone just worked for Danny's father.

Another odd decision made is that Ward is now Joy's brother as opposed to her Uncle in the comics and changes the entire dynamic of the relationship.
Post 74 IP   flag post
I am trying to avoid this post. Too many spoilers that I try not to peak at. 2 episodes down. So far. It is ok, but that is it. I rewatched the first episode with my sons and daughter. My older sons were bored but my 12 year old daughter liked it. It felt the most kid friendly of the Netflix series so far. She has not watched the other shows being I felt they were not appropriate for 12yr olds.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
the glaring one is in the comics the company is Rand-Meachum and not just Rand. Which I feel is an important distinction since Harold Meachum and Wendell Rand were partners...calling it just Rand makes it seem like everyone just worked for Danny's father.

I have wondered as I watched the show "why is it just called Rand if there are other partners?"
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
the glaring one is in the comics the company is Rand-Meachum and not just Rand. Which I feel is an important distinction since Harold Meachum and Wendell Rand were partners...calling it just Rand makes it seem like everyone just worked for Danny's father.

I have wondered as I watched the show "why is it just called Rand if there are other partners?"

Some of the stuff only makes sense because they're trying to tie in all the Marvel Netflix shows together, which I don't have a huge problem with.

Some stuff like it being called just Rand is a head scratcher.
Post 77 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Spoilers ahead for those who care.

1) The tablet: It was in a safe, I can let that one slide.

2) Big Bad Boss Man: Cutting his head off post mortem before the police arrived would have raised too many questions. (don't know how they all escaped jail as it is) Cremation was smart, destroys his body, nothing to come back.

3) You might be onto something...that was a lot of blood...however when Big Bad Boss Man died he took like a whole day or more to come back, the first time he died he was dead long enough for the whole family to have a funeral.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@kaptainmyke

Spoilers ahead for those who care.

1) Safe's aren't shock proof. Fire/water/smoke/security only.

2) Cremation is still not chopping the head off.

3) I'm not sure time is a factor to this healing ability. Plus, he DID have a drug addiction treatment from Gao's successor...maybe that's what activated it?
Post 79 IP   flag post
Cremation is chopping off every cell in the body.

Remember is power wasn't not dying, it was reanimating after death. He's not like a vampire from the hit CW show Supernatural (cheap pops ) where the coup de gras has to be delivered to cause death.
Post 80 IP   flag post
598076 87 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?