Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Elephantmen (2006) #1A CGC 9.82302

Collector FootNote private msg quote post Address this user
Elephantmen is something I have been wanting to read for a while now, I just have not gotten around to reading comics, its been a long break. Just looking around for the fun of it, I find an Elephantmen (2006) #1A CGC 9.8 for $499.99 Now is it just me or is this insane? This is not a very old or rare comic. Now it does seem to be an awesome comic but there is a lot of those.

Is the seller just wanting to see who buys without thinking or is the #1 really worth that much? Because I just bought the same issue, granted, its no 9.8
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't pay this much, but the only other listing on ebay is for over $500. It is a cool title and the issues that are more rare (medium rare?) are coveted by those who collect it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Goes to show the nature of today's collecting. People have been fooled into buying new comics at ridiculous prices. Why is it only a 9.8, shouldn't be a 10, at those prices. It's all quit comical, no pun intended.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
I wouldn't pay this much, but the only other listing on ebay is for over $500. It is a cool title and the issues that are more rare (medium rare?) are coveted by those who collect it.

I can't think of a single comic that I would pay $500 for.. unless I knew I could turn it around and see it for more.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Supply and demand folks.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Goes to show the nature of today's collecting. People have been fooled into buying new comics at ridiculous prices. Why is it only a 9.8, shouldn't be a 10, at those prices. It's all quit comical, no pun intended.

That was kind of my thought on this.

On another note, how many 9.9's and 10's are actually out there? It seems 9.8's are pretty common but thats a ceiling.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Supply and demand folks.

My question, is there demand?
Post 7 IP   flag post
There is demand, yes. Kind of like how Invincible 1 and Chew 1 in 9.8 sell for upwards of $500.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
There is demand, yes. Kind of like how Invincible 1 and Chew 1 in 9.8 sell for upwards of $500.

Learn something new every day.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
There's a high condition bundle currently on Ebay which includes that book raw on a buy now for $150 (Not saying its a 9.8 as the photos may not show everything). The fact its still there may show that its either not as good a copy for someone to slab themselves or its not worth $500 as a graded book. id presume to have it graded wouldnt touch anywhere near the financial difference
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

What?

Invincible 1 and Chew 1 are both $100 books in raw VF/NM.
(Elephantman 1 raws around VF/NM seem to sell at cover price or less)

9.8 slabs of Chew and Invincible 1's in 9.8 do sell for around $500.

That much you have correct.....but Elephantmen #1 is a book that I have bever heard of.You can buy raw a "NM+" copy off eBay from Newkadia for 7 bucks + shipping.

This book has never sold, period.

There are literally 0 sales recorded in GPA.

Under a search for Elephantmen, the only result was 2 sales of a later issue.

The Elephantman 1 CGC 9.8 listed on eBay at $500 is the same slab listed on MCS.

It's a consignment, the seller is just shooting for the moon.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Point taken @CopperAgeKids. Apologies for any misinformation, thread readers, I can be a dummy sometimes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

What?

That much you have correct.....but Elephantmen #1 is a book that I have bever heard of.You can buy raw a "NM+" copy off eBay from Newkadia for 7 bucks + shipping.

The Elephantman 1 CGC 9.8 listed on eBay at $500 is the same slab listed on MCS.

The book has sold once, in 2013, for $25 as a 9.8. You have to search "Elephantmen", not "Elephantman", and you'll see the results on GPA.

It's not a realistic asking price.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand the mindset of sellers who list $25 books for $500 in the hopes some rich dumb smo comes along. You'd have better luck buying scratch off tickets.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

What?

The book has sold once, in 2013, for $25 as a 9.8. You have to search "Elephantmen", not "Elephantman", and you'll see the results on GPA.

It's not a realistic asking price.

Ah, gotcha.

Based on that $25 sale, and the fact thete are no slabbed 9.8's currently available..a realistic BIN IMO would be $49.99.

10% of what the efftard consignor is shooting for...maybe a realistic price would be at most pushing a $99.99 BIN.That's being generous.

$500 is just whackadoodle.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't understand the mindset of sellers who list $25 books for $500 in the hopes some rich dumb smo comes along. You'd have better luck buying scratch off tickets.

Shoot for the moon, hope others follow suit and possibly artificially jack the value lol!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Shoot for the moon, hope others follow suit and possibly artificially jack the value lol!

So what I need to do is get a 9.8 and sell it for $299 and I will seem the reasonable one.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

So what I need to do is get a 9.8 and sell it for $299 and I will seem the reasonable one.

That's how the market's worked for 50 years.

Thank God for lemmings.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600891 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?