Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What Scanner is the Best Scanner23

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
to use to scan graded comics?

The best one I have found without spending a lot of money is the Microtek 800. However, you will jave to find a used one on something such as eBay.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I use the HP 8300. Not the cheapest, but makes great scans of slabs. It was recommended to me by greggy, so it has the stamp of approval
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KevinGawthrope private msg quote post Address this user
I just picked up an HP Scanjet on the aftermarket (eBay) last week. I had to install 3rd-party software on my Mac because I had upgraded to El Capitan - but it was well worth it. Scans like a DREAM! (example attached)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Is it still in the bag?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Looks like it's in mylar. Scan looks great, too
Post 5 IP   flag post
yeah, I was still doing tests this weekend...here's one with no bag. Probably the better way to go. LOL! :-)
Post 6 IP   flag post
@KevinGawthrope You should post those in the "May I have your autograph, please" thread
Post 7 IP   flag post
@The_Watcher Will do! I plan to add to the sketch cover thread as well. Only a few mins in and already having a blast! :-)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I heard there was some software to improve scanners resolution, specifically to make books come out better? Anyone here ever heard this?
Post 9 IP   flag post
That's a first for me, but I bought my scanner almost ten years ago. Things have changed since then, I'm sure
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a scanner that is about 6 or so years old. I have not used it for anything fancy. I will be trying it out tonight. It is a HP Desk Jet 1051 3 in one...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathyus_42
I have a scanner that is about 6 or so years old. I have not used it for anything fancy. I will be trying it out tonight. It is a HP Desk Jet 1051 3 in one...

My scanner is almost 10 years old, so age shouldn't be an issue with your scanner
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
My scanner is almost 10 years old, so age shouldn't be an issue with your scanner

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know that. :-)
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon
I heard there was some software to improve scanners resolution, specifically to make books come out better? Anyone here ever heard this?

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0. It's as old as the hills, but I still think it's best and easiest to use when it comes to adjusting images.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Awesome. I'll have to ask my friend which thing he was talking about to improve clarity.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I use the Auto Level and Auto Focus features on the scan once the scanner has finished scanning... if that makes sense.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector UncaBen private msg quote post Address this user
I just picked up an HP Scanjet 7400c yesterday.
Goofed around with it last night. Works well!

edit: I removed image. Sorry. I wasn't thinking, just got up from a nap
Post 17 IP   flag post
Well, my scanner will not work. The slabs do not fit. LOL
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Mathyus_42 A scanner needs to be legal sized for slabs to fit
Post 19 IP   flag post
@The_Watcher OK cool. Thanks for the info.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BlowUpTheMoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaBen
I just picked up an HP Scanjet 7400c yesterday.
Goofed around with it last night. Works well!

edit: I removed image. Sorry. I wasn't thinking, just got up from a nap

The HP Scanjet 7400c is a fantastic scanner. Have been using mine for years.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector iron_maniac private msg quote post Address this user
This is from my HP Scanjet 8300

Post 22 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
The HP 8200 and 8300 series scanners all use Charge Coupled Devise (CCD) image sensors. What you want. Contact Image Sensors (CID) is what you DON'T want.

CID is cheap and smaller, so except for very high end scanners (think $1K or more) CID is what is in all scanners made the last 10 years.

CID can only "see" that which is pressed flat against the glass. CCD has a depth of field of 1/4" or more. Since comics in slabs are actually held above the scanner bed, CID cannot clearly "see" the comic.

Older, good quality scanners on eBay are your friends. The HP 8200-8300 series were very popular with large businesses and Government agencies. (My 8300 was from the US State Dept and had a label that said "non-confidential only" . Large businesses and Government agencies refresh equipment periodically. So these HP's are easy to find. Another appeal of the HP Scanjets I and others have mentioned is HP has kept up to date drivers for the scanners as new versions of Windows have been released. Microtec made great scanners as well, but you'll likely have to download (and pay for) third party scanner software to work with many of their scanners and Windows 7+

Also keep in mind you need a legal size scanner bed. 14" or more. Because slabs are longer than a regular sheet of paper.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
HP Scanjet 8300's my scanner too! It delivers superb images, and the aftermarket price is super-cheap. I bought mine for £50
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector thirdgreenham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGawthrope
yeah, I was still doing tests this weekend...here's one with no bag. Probably the better way to go. LOL! :-)

Ooh, I like this book!
Post 25 IP   flag post
we have this Konica Minolta copier at work that allows for scanning and so I wanted to see what a book looked like under a scan. it came out really well I think and you can read the cert # on it really well too. I put it through photobucket and so the image is smaller than the actual scan but it defaults to 1200 dpi I believe so its pretty big as a raw scan but its also quite clear.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I use the Microtek Scanmaker 9700XL because I can also use it for my OA and it is the best! As IronMan stated you want to look for a CCD scanner which has more in depth scanning. I have yet to upgrade my Windows because I don't want to use a third party scanning software in order to use my old scanner. I think I have to buy a new computer and just leave this old one exclusively for scanning.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
This is from my HP scanjet 8200 - nice over sized scanner
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding scanners, I know some have a black background and some have a white background which would be the best to use in order to optimize slab highlighting?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgreenham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGawthrope

Ooh, I like this book!
Post 30 IP   flag post
600893 54 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?