Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector FootNote private msg quote post Address this user
Any thing I can find out about this? I just bought a Phantom (1962 Gold Key/King/Charlton) #21 CBCS 7.5. I plan on sending it in to get reslabed, in the notes on the comic and this is highlighted so I imagine its important to some, it says "From the Wawa Collection." Looking at the list of pedigrees I don't see anything saying Wawa collection.

Also, I bought this from mycomicshop.com so I imagine it is a somewhat trustworthy site.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. Can you share a picture? Have you asked mycomicshop if they can provide you any more info on it?
Post 2 IP   flag post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132081407571?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looking at the front of the slab, I am not seeing anything about the Wawa collection (which I have no idea what that is)

Email is already typed up to mycomicshop.com to find out what info I can.
Post 3 IP   flag post
That certainly is interesting. mycomicshop should be able to tell you more, maybe ask if they consigner has any prominence to go along with it that states what it is. If it's noted in the description they have know something.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
It's not one of the recognised pedigrees, it's just a collection.

Personally, I wish I could get my books with "Orbit City Comic Collection" on the label.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
It's not one of the recognised pedigrees, it's just a collection.

Personally, I wish I could get my books with "Orbit City Comic Collection" on the label.

But it's not noted on the label, they've specified it in the listing description. I think he just wants to know what it is and why it was worth including.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Just yesterday CGC announced they graded the Jon Berk Collection which will being going to auction in May. It's not a pedigree, and some of the collection actually are other pedigrees. But CGC has put "From The Collection of Jon Berk" on all the labels from this collection.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?articleID=191226
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
The Wawa collection is not a pedigree it is a group of books that someone collected and maybe even bough a big portion off the newsstand. If you see something on the label whether it's from CGC or CBCS saying it's a collection that means it falls out of the guidelines to be recognized as a pedigree BUT is still a noteworthy collection.

Or the short asnwer" It's a marketing ploy"
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I have also picked up a book from my comic shop that was claimed to be from the Wawa collection (CBCS label) but there is nothing noted on the label. Doesn't matter too much to me, I just wanted the book lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
MyComicShop has been selling comics from the "Wawa Collection" for at least several months. It is not a recognized Pedigree, and none of the CBCS labels indicates that the books are Pedigreed.
Since the comics include both US and Canadian versions, I am going to make a guess that the books came from a large private collection that was based in Wawa, Ontario. But that's just a guess on my part. Any help from CBCS or our Canadian forum members?
PS - Anybody can put a sticker on a bag or slab that says it is from a private owner collection. You have probably seen others, like the Mighty Marvel Maniac Collection.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Since the comics include both US and Canadian versions, I am going to make a guess that the books came from a large private collection that was based in Wawa, Ontario. But that's just a guess on my part. Any help from CBCS or our Canadian forum members?

That was what I had initially thought. Wawa is an area in a somewhat remote part of northern Ontario. Personally, I've never heard of the Wawa Collection, and I use to drive through there 5-6 times a year, and if there was a collection worth seeing in the area I would have attempted to see it. I'll ask around at TO ComiCon and see if I can dig up any more info on it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Juan heard back from mycomicshop.com and they basically confirmed everything I learned here.

"Hi there, and thank you so much for dropping a line! The Wawa collection isn't an official pedigree, it's just a significant collection find named after Wawa in Ontario, Canada, near where the collection was found. There's no official paperwork or documentation for it, and since it's not considered a pedigree, it's not something that CGC or CBCS would put on the label or need any documentation for (though the majority of the books in the collection have already been slabbed by CBCS)."

Thanks for the help, it is rather annoying/pointless to say something is part of a collection, if it means absolutely nothing.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Been fishing in wawa
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Been fishing in wawa

Regardless of my complaints, I am pretty happy with what I caught from there.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootNote
Thanks for the help, it is rather annoying/pointless to say something is part of a collection, if it means absolutely nothing.

Not surprising, let's just say Wawa's sight seeing "attractions" are a 30' Canada goose statue and a pickle barrel.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Each time I read Wawa it reminds me of Charlie Brown..wah wah wah
Post 17 IP   flag post
601222 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?