Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Sell Comics, Start a Business?2263

COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I send my stuff to MyComicShop.com. They take 10% or 5.00 for each item on commissions on items up to $300 dollars. Over $300 it's 8%. You don't have to worry about shipping or returned items. Plus you can get a check mailed to you so Paypal need not be involved.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting article @ZosoRocks. According to it:

"Generally, any income you receive from all sources is subject to income tax unless it is specifically exempt by law (hint: eBay profits are not exempt by law). That means that a lot of activities that you might not think of as taxable, such as garage sale income, gambling winnings, and yes – eBay profits – are taxable."
Post 27 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If you find a bag of cash, gold, etc. in the street the IRS expects you to pay tax on it.

It is also a crime not to pay tax on income from illegal activities (theft, prostitution, drug sales, illegal gambling, etc.) so if you get caught doing something illegal that you gained from they can tack on tax evasion to your list of charges. You are then subject to the tax plus any unpaid interest and penalties.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
It is also a crime not to pay tax on income from illegal activities (theft, prostitution, drug sales, illegal gambling, etc.) so if you get caught doing something illegal that you gained from they can tack on tax evasion to your list of charges. You are then subject to the tax plus any unpaid interest and penalties.

I believe that's what they got Al Capone on.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
Quote:

Capone was equally careful about keeping his illegal earnings hidden. He endorsed only one check in his lifetime, and he never had a bank account in his own name. With the exception of that one check (for proceeds from a gambling racket), Capone dealt exclusively in cash.

The FBI worked in conjunction with the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service to dig up dirt on the gangster. Eventually, they found enough to convict him. The check he endorsed, along with testimony from the very few witnesses the feds could persuade to testify, provided enough evidence to put Capone away.

He was ultimately found guilty of evasion for not paying taxes on his ill-gotten wealth. Capone was sentenced to ten years in federal prison and an additional year to be served at in Chicago.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The publisher was taxed on their profits selling the book to the comic store. The Comic store was taxed on their profits selling the book to you. On top of that you had to pay a sales tax. On top of that, the money you spent had taxes deducted from your paycheck before you even spent it. How many damn times does a single item need to be taxed? The government is not entitled to jack shit from the reselling of your belongings that you spent already taxed hard earned income on. Screw the government.
Post 31 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Found this article from the IRS that sheds a little light on the subject.

https://www.irs.com/articles/tax-tips-people-who-earn-income-hobby
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If you find a bag of cash, gold, etc. in the street the IRS expects you to pay tax on it.

You aren't helping the issue Doctor.

I know, I know..."I'm just a doctor, Jim"....

:o)
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
taking that to th

Whew-whew...I passed each that would show I am just a hobbyist not out to make any money!!

I'm taking that to the bank!!!

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector four_loko_dude private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my list of the best to worst ways to sell one's comics:
1. Auction for the best, consignment for the rest.
2. Local con/show like BrianGreensnips did
3. Ebay
4. Dealer

From all the comments I think we can all say in unison that the laws are stacked against we the people, it's crazy sometimes. I started this thread so some of these nuances could be discussed.

I think sending some books off to consignment is a great idea. I live in central PA and there are many antique shops that are usually crowded with people. There are some comics in these places but nothing really comparable to the collection that I have. They charge a monthly fee to stock your stuff, you set the price, and when it sells they remit state sales tax for you. So far so good. Then we come to this issue of tax. I think I might talk to an HR Block accountant or something because I am sure they know all the answers.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
Quote:

Capone was equally careful about keeping his illegal earnings hidden. He endorsed only one check in his lifetime, and he never had a bank account in his own name. With the exception of that one check (for proceeds from a gambling racket), Capone dealt exclusively in cash.

The FBI worked in conjunction with the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service to dig up dirt on the gangster. Eventually, they found enough to convict him. The check he endorsed, along with testimony from the very few witnesses the feds could persuade to testify, provided enough evidence to put Capone away.

He was ultimately found guilty of evasion for not paying taxes on his ill-gotten wealth. Capone was sentenced to ten years in federal prison and an additional year to be served at in Chicago.

You forgot one thing, Rex Banner.... He filled the balls with a funnel.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
taking that to th

Whew-whew...I passed each that would show I am just a hobbyist not out to make any money!!

I'm taking that to the bank!!!

Yeah, it's about as clear as mud to me. Looks like if it's a hobby, you can only deduct your expenses up to and equal to your profits, but you can't declare a net loss unless you are a business.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
IMO - eBay and other services - since they charge you a service fee, this eliminates the need to include your sales amount as additional income, because you are paying another company to sell the item at a cost.

In addition, when you bought this item, it immediately went to the secondary market - in which you have already paid sales tax to own the item.

Question - if you sold something at a garage sale, would you include that amount as part of your income on your taxes?

Probably not, huh?

I'm not quite sure if selling at a Con would mitigate any of the sales tax.....unless you are in a state that requires you to report it.

I have taken some tax classes in the past, but the laws change yearly, so it would probably be best to ask the IRS.

You'd think that the local and state governments want their share of the sales taxes for sales at conventions. I wonder if the organizers have to report who attended so those entities get their money too.

It is not common (yet) but some shows do indeed have State Tax employees there, issuing temporary collection licenses to dealers and collecting sales from all at the end of the show. I've seen this at a couple of shows in neighboring Kentucky.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I send my stuff to MyComicShop.com. They take 10% or 5.00 for each item on commissions on items up to $300 dollars. Over $300 it's 8%. You don't have to worry about shipping or returned items. Plus you can get a check mailed to you so Paypal need not be involved.

Do the 8/10% cover all fees (e.g. Ebay and shipping) as they sell a lot of their items on eBay or only applicable to their auctions?
Post 39 IP   flag post
600787 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?