Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

What should I get graded?2246

Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
I have a bunch I want to get graded, but not sure what to start with? Hero for Hire #1, Ms. Marvel #1 vol. 1, Marvel Premiere #15, NYX #3, NTT #2, New Mutants #98, a bunch of old Neal Adams Batman, Detective #359...! What do you all think !?!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
All
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @Draco.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ha, I'd go broke! What should I do first?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Do all some books from 1975 up they will fall into the modern tiers and will be cheaper to grade. If your new to submitting books don't go hog wild until you get the feel for what should be graded. If you submit everything you could end up with some mid grade bronze age batman's in slabs with a whole lot less money in your wallet. Oh and the Detective 359 is a pretty safe beat either way.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector JCage private msg quote post Address this user
? Are any of those keys a possible 9.8 or they look nm if any of those books look close to perfect I would send the books in the best shape. If you do hit any 9.8's the price increase on your investment is significant.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Sounds good! My NYX #3 looks pretty darn good, I'm hoping a 9.8. I also have a nice Preacher #1, Saga #1, Y the Last Man #1, Batman Adventures #12 and a bunch more in really good condition. That's why I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to do first.
I'm also thinking of getting them pressed first.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I think I'm pretty good at grading, so I'm very interested to see what some of them come back as...hope I won't be disappointed! I think I'll just do two or three and see what I get!
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Sounds good! My NYX #3 looks pretty darn good, I'm hoping a 9.8. I also have a nice Preacher #1, Saga #1, Y the Last Man #1, Batman Adventures #12 and a bunch more in really good condition. That's why I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to do first.
I'm also thinking of getting them pressed first.

That whole list right there ⤴ should be slabbed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector JCage private msg quote post Address this user
Ya I agree you should push to get them all slabbed eventually
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Johnny_B private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @JWKyle. I am new to stabbing and just got back my first order. I went a little crazy and sent in a handful of books, and wish I'd started a little slower. I was not so impressed with a few of the grades, and way impressed with some others. So for me, it was an educational experience, but definitely a fun, enjoyable one. My newer books didn't need to be cleaned and pressed, but my older ones definitely did. They had started offering that service after my submittal, so I called them, and they said to send them an email to document the request, which I did. But somehow it never happened on them. So I got lower grades on a few of the older ones, but would have completely wasted my money on the newer ones.
But my vote would be for the Marvel Premiere 15, and the Nyx 3, because I want those books badly!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
All of the books you listed are worth grading.

What you omitted to mention is why you want to grade them.

If you are selling them you can get the first four or five graded, ell them, and use the proceeds to grade more books without having to go further out of pocket.

If you plan to keep the books then the question becomes not whether they are worth grading but what is the reason that you want to grade them?

Either way I would take a stab at guessing what the grade on each book will be and look at comparable sales on ebay (or elsewhere) and start with the most valuable books and work my way down from there until you get to the point where you either do not think the next book is worth grading or don't have the funds to get it graded right now.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I think you should grade them all, given the cost of shipping to submit and receive the return of your books.

Submitting two or three books would be cost prohibitive in my opinion. Others have discussed this on the boards and I believe the general consensus is that 10 or slightly more books makes the most sense based on the shipping tiers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Wow, I'm getting some great feedback! I appreciate all that have responded and will keep all points in mind. I will post what I'm sending in a d the grades I get back once I get them back. You guys are the best and I knew I came to the right place!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector AznBane private msg quote post Address this user
When I first started getting books graded I would first record how much I bought the raw book for. I then added the cost of shipping, grading, and pressing the book. I then went on http://comics.gocollect.com/ and looked up what grade I would need to make money back after all was said and done. I then put a grade screen for 1 grade higher than what was required to break even. So for example I had a Saga #1 where after the cost of what I paid + all the extra grading costs, I found that I need to have at least a 9.2 so then I submitted my book with a grade screen of a 9.4

If it doesn't make the grade you don't lose out on too much especially if you're submitting multiple books. If you do pass screen, you know you at least broke even. This is one of many ways to look at getting books slabbed but this is something that has worked for me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
More to think about. Thanks for the great info!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My first experience with grading was a bit different.

When I first started going to comic shows in NYC I met Comic Connect. At the next show they introduced me to Matt Nelson.

I kept showing Matt the books I picked up at the show until he finally liked one of them enough to recommend pressing and grading. I think I ate about $17 of shipping charges on the one book but when my Grendel 3 came back with a 9.6 it was well worth the cost (especially since I picked it up for $25 at the show).

A few months later at NYCC I brought 40 of my best books in for Matt to look at on Saturday and another 40 on Sunday. Comic Connect ended up taking all of them on consignment including the rejects. I think about 60-80% of the books got pressed and / or graded.

Results included:
(Four copies) ASM 300 CGC 9.8s
ASM 300 CGC 9.6
ASM 252 CGC 9.6
(Two copies) ASM 252 CGC 9.4
Aquaman 27 CGC 9.2
Incredible Hulk 182 CGC 9.6
Marvel Team-up 1 CGC 9.4
X-Men 46 CGC 9.6
X-Men 95 CGC 9.0
X-Men 96 CGC 9.2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 CGC 9.8
Amazing Spider-Man 17 CGC 5.5
Giant Siza X-Men 1 CGC 4.5
Wolverine LS 1 CGC 9.8
Wolverine LS 4 CGC 9.8
(Five copies) Wolverine 1 (1988) CGC 9.8
(Three copies) Wolverine 1 (1988) CGC 9.6
Post 17 IP   flag post
Nice haul!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Nice haul!

Thanks,

Except for the Aquaman and the X-Men 46 they were all books that I bought between 1984 and 1994.
Post 19 IP   flag post
597876 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?