Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPQuestions

OA Slabs223

Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
I could not find a thread for this specific topic, so I thought I would start one. How many of you have sketch covers with the OA tab, instead of being graded? I was thinking that since any that I get are going to be for me, there would be no reason to grade them. Plus, in the slab, it will be a great way to display them with my graded books. I have a question though. Do I need a witness when I get a sketch cover done at a con that I will be submitting there?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
If you want the authenticity for signatures and sketches on the original art (ASP), then yes you will...
Post 2 IP   flag post
OK cool, thank for letting me know that. I have not seen very many of them posted, but I really like the idea. If anyone has some, I hope they post some pictures. :-)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Here are just s few of mine. I basically submit any sketch covers as OA unless I think they are for sure 9.8s.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Those are very cool!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RebellionComics private msg quote post Address this user
Nice Perez dk3 I got a harley joker alex ross style from a con awhile ago that I wanted to submit but not sure of the artist on the signature I just got it because it looked great can they verify the signature even if you are not sure?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebellionComics
Nice Perez dk3 I got a harley joker alex ross style from a con awhile ago that I wanted to submit but not sure of the artist on the signature I just got it because it looked great can they verify the signature even if you are not sure?

You would need to know the artist in order to submit for VSP. However, you could probably post the signature on the forum and I'm sure someone would be able to identify it for you before you send it in.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I was thinking of that maybe setting up a do you recognize this sign thread for others to use as well
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
I was thinking of that maybe setting up a do you recognize this sign thread for others to use as well

There already is one: https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/172/signature--autograph-identification-thread/
Post 9 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This was actually the first slab using the Art label. I got lucky in that it was already at CBCS when they announced the label. The artwork is actually done by a fb friend of mine that I met through the CBCS Comic Collectors Club on facebook. The blank comic was sent to me from another fb and club friend in a care package after my mom died last year. I wanted to do something special with it to connect my mom, CBCS and the club all in one. It worked out better than I had planned!!

Post 10 IP   flag post
And here is a Frank Brunner sketch I got through a CBCS AW.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Quote:

There already is one: https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/172/signature--autograph-identification-thread/
definitely missed that one awesome thanks!
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Those are some great books!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I notice there is no issue info/details on the newer ART labels. Any reason for this? Thanks.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@dpiercy Good question.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
I notice there is no issue info/details on the newer ART labels. Any reason for this? Thanks.

I believe it is because when it is submitted as ART, the issue is not really supposed to matter, the focus is supposed to purely be on the art itself. I actually do wish they would put some more info on it (even though i understand why they don't) because i think the ART labels look a little too plain for my taste. If my blank was in excellent shape, i would rather submit for potential 9.8 grading over ART label because of this.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I believe it is because when it is submitted as ART, the issue is not really supposed to matter, the focus is supposed to purely be on the art itself. I actually do wish they would put some more info on it (even though i understand why they don't) because i think the ART labels look a little too plain for my taste. If my blank was in excellent shape, i would rather submit for potential 9.8 grading over ART label because of this.

Yes, but look at the slabs Jesse posted, they have said info/detail. Obviously having that detail is more desirable than a blank label. It is a little thing, but still...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but look at the slabs Jesse posted, they have said info/detail. Obviously having that detail is more desirable than a blank label. It is a little thing, but still...

Yea you are right, I didn't pay attention to Jesse's label....that is how i'd like all the ART labels to be but all of the ART slabs I have gotten have been the plain labels with just "signed and sketched by..."

weird part is, i have ART labels that were done before and after Jesse's and they all look plain, so not sure how he got different label but lucky for him. Maybe someone from CBCS can chime in?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Good point! The OA on a blank that's significant (example, DK3 #1 was the first appearance of Carrie Kelley as The Batman) should be at least placed on the label. It gives extra oomph on the slab.
I had a couple of books submitted, but had them graded (coming back as 9.6 and 9.8). In my opinion, ASP (whether signed only or signed & sketched) will not lose it's eye-candy if the grade is lower than 9.8. The fact that it's a Gold/Yellow label, makes it already awesome!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_Comics
If you want the authenticity for signatures and sketches on the original art (ASP), then yes you will...

So the witness will just have to watch me get it from the artist, not watch him do the whole drawing correct?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathyus_42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_Comics

So the witness will just have to watch me get it from the artist, not watch him do the whole drawing correct?

Correct. The witness just needs to pick it up; does not need to witness the whole sketch.
Post 21 IP   flag post
OK cool
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea you are right, I didn't pay attention to Jesse's label....that is how i'd like all the ART labels to be but all of the ART slabs I have gotten have been the plain labels with just "signed and sketched by..."

weird part is, i have ART labels that were done before and after Jesse's and they all look plain, so not sure how he got different label but lucky for him. Maybe someone from CBCS can chime in?

That is unusual. The Star Wars #1 was the first Original Art slab and I just figured they would all be that way. I've seen a lot of OA labels since and I've never noticed ones without SOME notes on them. I actually went and checked out some more on fb. All the ones I saw (in about 5 minutes of searching - around 20) had more info on the labels then what yours do.
Post 23 IP   flag post
OK, I have another question. Can an artist submit his own book at a convention to get the yellow OA label since he will be with a witness there? I am sorry for all of the questions. I just want to make sure I know all of the ins and outs before I go to the con.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathyus_42
OK, I have another question. Can an artist submit his own book at a convention to get the yellow OA label since he will be with a witness there? I am sorry for all of the questions. I just want to make sure I know all of the ins and outs before I go to the con.

If the artist is submitting at a CBCS booth then yes, that artist can fill out an ASP submission form and get yellow label since the CBCS employees and AW's will be right there. If the artist is mailing in a submission, it needs to be accompanied with an artist verification form which they can get from Steve Paulus or Mark Roman.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks Excellent!! Thank you for the help.
Post 26 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the observation, guys. I wanted to comment but have been so busy all day I didn't have a chance to give it the attention I thought it deserved.

The Original Art program was designed to showcase artwork. Some is on a comic book, some on paper, some on backing boards, etc. When the program launched, we processed everything through the system as if it were a normal submission.

We talked to many customers over the next several months, who expressed the concern that by putting information about the comic, we were taking focus away from the artwork. No matter what the artwork was on, they felt there needed to be consistency in the labeling for the OA program.

When our new website was being developed, we took these suggestions into consideration and chose to put the focus completely on the artwork and signatures, which was what we wanted to do with the OA program from the beginning. It was at this point that the format on the OA labels was changed to the format it is currently in.

Long story, short, is it a graded book, or is it original artwork?
It's original artwork.

Thanks again for bringing this up and allowing me the opportunity to explain the transition. We appreciate your support.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Thanks for the explanation @SteveRicketts. Would CBCS consider allowing a submitter to request having the info added to ART slabs? I have submitted quite a few slabs for ART and while i do agree on having the focus be on the ART, the ART labels look a little too plain for my taste so for that reason alone it makes me consider it for grading first just because i don't like the look of the plain labels.

Additionally, very often notes about the book contribute to why we get certain sketches on certain blanks (for example: ASM Renew Your Vows #1 is "Death of Venom" so that is a nice note to display when the art is venom on a Renew Your Vows #1 Blank).

Also, I have gotten Sketches done on certain blanks before and then had all the other creators that had to do with that particular book all sign the cover as well; without any kind of notes, it makes those extra signatures very odd and out of place considering they had nothing to do with the sketch.

Just some thoughts to consider that I know are on a lot of peoples minds about the change. Thanks
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I for one would still like to retain the book's info on the labels with the ART designation..
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Not mine, but I wanted to share how awesome this is, and how expensive it is listed at:

Harley Quinn Suicide Squad DK3 #1 CGC SS 9.8 painted sketch cover by Frank Kadar

Post 30 IP   flag post
597990 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?