Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
This came in today's mail thanks to a swap with @Jesse_O.

Post 951 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo I'm glad it arrived safe and sound!!
Post 952 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O - It did, but I was a little worried. You wrote “Do Not Crush” and even had Cap on there, but maybe you should have said “Do Not Puncture” too. Thankfully, no damage. I can’t even imagine what they do to these packages.

Post 953 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

First ever magazines graded and the grades were higher than my guesstimates. All 3 were eBay purchases that will go on my comic room wall eventually. I figure I will find some more worthy of submission, as it was a successful experiment.

Nice Conan books. I'm still hanging onto my Savage Sword #1 to submit when/if CBCS starts doing magazines
Post 954 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Two deliveries today:

Spectacular Spidey 64 was a purchase from @onlyhulk23 & Fear 19 is a ComicConnect purchase from Metropolis.

I'm very happy with both. Well packed and they appear to have been conservatively graded.

Post 955 IP   flag post

My pickups from Toronto Comicon on the weekend.

I now have all the Conan annuals

I got these from the only dealer that seemed to have any. I now only need 14 more to complete the 235 issue run.

Post 956 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by farseer
My pickups from Toronto Comicon on the weekend.

I now have all the Conan annuals

I got these from the only dealer that seemed to have any. I now only need 14 more to complete the 235 issue run.

Congratulations on the awesome Conan Mags! As I mentioned earlier its always nice to see collectors who still build complete runs. Ive been picking up a few Savage Swords myself but Im much ,much farther away from the Complete 235 Issue run. More like 214 How long has it taken you to get within 14 issues?

I will likely never approached completing the run because I seem to be so overly picky about the condition. Even so I did manage to crack out this one.

It now resides in my comic book cabinet collection

At the moment Im just working on picking up some of my favorite Covers, Savage Sword of Conan #10 is at the top of my list.

Again Nice work on the Savage Sword Run and the Annuals!

John
Post 957 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Jesse_O - It did, but I was a little worried. You wrote “Do Not Crush” and even had Cap on there, but maybe you should have said “Do Not Puncture” too. Thankfully, no damage. I can’t even imagine what they do to these packages.

I discontinued the practice of using "Fragile", "Do Not Bend/Crush" on packages. I think some postal employees get irked by it and intentionally go out of their way to bend or damage it.

I also don't recommend using anything wording or pictures that would make any kind reference as to the contents of the package. Plain Jane bombproof package is best.
Post 958 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

I discontinued the practice of using "Fragile", "Do Not Bend/Crush" on packages. I think some postal employees get irked by it and intentionally go out of their way to bend or damage it.

I also don't recommend using anything wording or pictures that would make any kind reference as to the contents of the package. Plain Jane bombproof package is best.

Unfortunately this is all too true nowadays. It never used to be the case but in today's world such entreaties are like a red rag to a bull.

We were all so much politer back in the day. Why are people such ******* these days?
Post 959 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It would be nice to sandwich a comic between two 1/4" thick steel plates. Maybe bubble wrap the comics and use glastic stand-off to space the plates apart. I envision packaging that would hurt the employee if they tried to kick it around or catch it like a softball.
Post 960 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 Thin copper or aluminum plates maybe? Honestly, I would love if I could ship books in a pelican case; but the charges would get steep fast. Depending on the book(s), it may be worth it.
Post 961 IP   flag post
@X51 - If you get get the steel plate idea to work, surround it with sharp-tipped jack-like pointy objects.
Post 962 IP   flag post
Congratulations on the awesome Conan Mags! As I mentioned earlier its always nice to see collectors who still build complete runs. Ive been picking up a few Savage Swords myself but Im much ,much farther away from the Complete 235 Issue run. More like 214 How long has it taken you to get within 14 issues?

I started collecting them in the early 80's when I was fairly young. I picked them up as they came out from then until the end of the run.I picked up a few missing issues here and there during that time.

About 24 years ago the LCS I was going to at that time got in a collection of great condition Savage Swords and I bought a good number of the ones I was missing at that time. I hadn't bought any comics for probably 20+ years after that until I decided to get back into it a couple years ago.

Last year on FCBD I was at my LCS and saw that they had a bunch of Savage Swords so I think I bought 20 or 30 that I was missing and then the 16 I picked up last weekend.

I'm concentrating on filling the run first but I've also re-purchased a few that i know are not in great shape. A good portion of the ones I got in the 80's were from a subscription direct from marvel so I know they aren't in the best condition.

All the issues I'm missing now are between #'s 6 and 42 so getting them in good condition may be a little more expensive than the average of about $5 each (Canadian) I've paid for the last 2 big purchases. I haven't been going out of my way to find them, I've just been looking at my LCS or at local cons, but now that I'm so close I might have to step up the pursuit...

It now resides in my comic book cabinet collection

At the moment Im just working on picking up some of my favorite Covers, Savage Sword of Conan #10 is at the top of my list.

Again Nice work on the Savage Sword Run and the Annuals!

John

I love Ernie Chan's work. He and John Buscema defined the look of the character for me on the Conan the Barbarian books in the 70's and 80's.
Post 963 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Just bought this a few minutes ago...decided Im a sic fi guy not horror..and the price for the 9.4 was way better than the 9.6 Gaines from 2 wks ago --even though still high in my opinion.
Post 964 IP   flag post
@Watcher - LOVE IT!
Post 965 IP   flag post
Collector SpeedforceKJ private msg quote post Address this user
Got to finally see the piece that my fiancé and I had Ethan Van Sciver draw for us for our wedding invitations

Post 966 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

One of the last shipments I received was a few well packed books in a priority envelope with DO NOT BEND written on it. As the clerk approached the counter, he says, "How do they think we're going to bend this?" and proceeds to effing try!! So I loudly replied, "Despite all your efforts?" He quickly backpedals with, "No, no. I didn't mean that!" I simply burned a hole in his face with my eyes and nodded.
I think he got it.
Post 967 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
So, earlier in this thread, @esaravo posted the slab that I swabbed for some of his comics. Here are the comics I got. He also included some bonus comics (not pictured). But as I was looking at these, a thought occurred to me. If you like to read, I'd highly suggest you pick up some Silver or Bronze Age horror comics. Most of them were story driven titles with the art supplementing the story. I mean, just look at the two covers of the Ghostly Tales comics I have pictured. There are more words on those covers than some current comics have between the covers!! I exaggerate, of course, but not by much!!

Post 968 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Watcher - LOVE IT!

Thanks brother!
Post 969 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@X51 Thin copper or aluminum plates maybe? Honestly, I would love if I could ship books in a pelican case; but the charges would get steep fast. Depending on the book(s), it may be worth it.

Those metals are too soft and bend easily. I could bend those with my hands.
Post 970 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
Just bought this a few minutes ago...decided Im a sic fi guy not horror..and the price for the 9.4 was way better than the 9.6 Gaines from 2 wks ago --even though still high in my opinion.

Shock/Crime/Sci-fi are my favorite EC's. The horror stuff is my least favorite.
Post 971 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 - If you get get the steel plate idea to work, surround it with sharp-tipped jack-like pointy objects.

I'm afraid that would poke through the cardboard and be obvious. We did receive a ~75lb transformer in a box. The box should have been square but it arrived round. Fedex delivered that and my eyes were rolling. To be honest, I was more annoyed that a supplier would ship a part that heavy without banding it to a pallet.
Post 972 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Finally arrived today! USPS lost this, and much to my surprise, they found it! Been waiting for this lil' guy since December. Venom #6 McFarlane! Its the Spanish language variant; because paying $20 for the same art others pay $1k for just makes sense. McFarlane has said he won't be signing Venom 1:1000 variants, but I wonder if he'll make an exception for the foreign edition.

Post 973 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher That is a really nice EC you picked up.
Post 974 IP   flag post
Okay, I already posted a pic of the NYX #5 that arrived today. I didn’t post these yet (PS: my wife wants to know how come if I am getting RID of comics, the FedEx and UPS truck keep DELIVERING packages of them!).

When I saw the pics of this FF #73 and it’s price, I had to make the purchase. I thought it was grossly undergraded, it looked like a 9.0! Well it arrived today and it does look great bagged. I thought it was undergraded due to the red overspray, but close inspection reveals staining to both the front and rear covers. Nothing huge, but enough to knock it down to probably a 6.0. In my opinion, it does present very well. If Joe Sinnott comes back to RICC, I think this would look even better with his signature on it!

Post 975 IP   flag post
Bought these just because the cover caught my eye. I will probably keep one and sell or swap the other.

Post 976 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Watcher That is a really nice EC you picked up.

Thank You !
Post 977 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

You just can’t beat a boy and his dog. 1953 was a much more innocent time. Been looking for this one for awhile.
Post 978 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Cover recreation commission from Mike Perkins. I emailed him directly and cost was $450. This is a recreation of the lenticular homage cover he did for Iron Fist #73. Turn around time was in the neighborhood of a month. He messaged me yesterday saying he had started and again today to say it was done. To say I am completely satisfied with it would be an understatement. He hit the nail on the head and I'm glad I went through with the transaction. Thanks Mr. Perkins!

Post 979 IP   flag post
sweet
Post 980 IP   flag post
600855 999 30