Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
He attended the Yorba Linda,Ca convention. I imagine he's busy with others.
Post 776 IP   flag post
Collector EngineJoe private msg quote post Address this user
We can slab at conventions at art booths you say? I wish I would’ve known about Nola 2018! Could’ve gotten a slab and signature in one day! Oh, man! Quick search..Nvm it’s usually a drop off service same wait period..
Post 777 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Busy day at the local Clifton show.

Post 778 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
My December 6th submission (103 books) just moved to Grading! Yay! Time to celebrate...with more new comics!

ASM #298-300, because why not? The 298 & 299 are really nice, the whitest covers I’ve seen on these outside of a slab in a long time. I have 298 & 299 being graded right now, but whatever they come out at, I think these two will grade out higher. The 300 looks fantastic, no spine ticks or corner creases, but the red has some fade to it. Still a fantastic copy. It also helps that I got all three at a great price.

Dark Knights Metal, the foil cover first prints & one-shots. I’m not a huge Batman fan, but these look great. It’s the first Batman event I’ve found myself enjoying since Knightfall. When the Metal run is over I’m getting the books graded & framed, then having the frames mounted to a Bat-Symbol I’m having a metal shop cut out of polished stainless diamond deck. I’m going to float that over a black wood base w/ LED backlighting. Man-cave wall decor, writ-large.

The Dell’Otto Venom Inc. Alpha & Omega. These are getting graded & framed up; they look great & are a nice wall piece.

Post 779 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseale0223
Here is my latest books.

Clown next to a flowing gutter as Casper offers him a red balloon. It took a minute to realize this isn't a cool coincidence. For a moment I thought it was an actual cover from the bronze age, and thought it might've inspired King.
Cool idea!
Post 780 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Got this in the mail today thanks to a trade with @xkonk.

Post 781 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Bought myself an OA - Zombies. Measures 22*17 inch. Now I just need to pay for it - hmm

Post 782 IP   flag post

Post 783 IP   flag post
@poka Who is the artist? That’s mighty fine detail work, I might want to pick one up...
Post 784 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Friend of mine just closed on a house, I got him this for his cave.

This was an impulse buy, I might get it pressed and try to flip it.

Post 785 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@JustABitEvil What a cool cover on that TOS #98.
Post 786 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@poka Who is the artist? That’s mighty fine detail work, I might want to pick one up...
Artist name is Alan Quah - his work is extremely difficult to get hold of. I was lucky with this one
Post 787 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim That's why Kirby is the King.
Post 788 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Some more books to ad to my Black Widow mini-series sets plus one for the Harleys. Some could use a press but that can wait

Post 789 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Artist name is Alan Quah - his work is extremely difficult to get hold of. I was lucky with this one

This is his fb - https://www.facebook.com/KomikakiStudio/

I got mine through his UK agent
Post 790 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Another newsstand lot of 5. Saw the Gotham Police pint glass at the shop, had to grab that as well. Because comics and beer.

Giggidy

Post 791 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Another newsstand lot of 5. Saw the Gotham Police pint glass at the shop, had to grab that as well. Because comics and beer.

Giggidy

Nice - how many copies do you have now?
Post 792 IP   flag post
@poka 11. I’m all done buying for now, paid about $8 per and most are NM+. Did pretty well!

I **WISH** CBCS had a fast pass that was actually fast 😔 and $40 for a 2-day modern is too much. I just cannot wait that long and am really torn about having to open a CGC account. Idk what to do. CBCS having a census with newsstands was really great, but who knows if that will ever happen; I’d really rather not send any newsstands anywhere else in hopes of that :/
Post 793 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this in the mail!

Post 794 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Gotta tell ya' man, I'm nerding out over the comics *and* the kitchen. I'm renovating this fall & it looks like I picked the same glass tile backsplash you did (though I went for a lighter granite). Nice pickup sir. Well done.
Post 795 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

First ever magazines graded and the grades were higher than my guesstimates. All 3 were eBay purchases that will go on my comic room wall eventually. I figure I will find some more worthy of submission, as it was a successful experiment.
Post 796 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer Gotta tell ya' man, I'm nerding out over the comics *and* the kitchen. I'm renovating this fall & it looks like I picked the same glass tile backsplash you did (though I went for a lighter granite). Nice pickup sir. Well done.

Thanks. Dont forget the R2D2 coffee press, no kitchen remodel is complete without it 🍺😁
Post 797 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

First ever magazines graded and the grades were higher than my guesstimates. All 3 were eBay purchases that will go on my comic room wall eventually. I figure I will find some more worthy of submission, as it was a successful experiment.

That Savage Tales #1 looks sharp! Better than my 9.6.
Post 798 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS thanks it’s an awesome cover. The disappointing thing is the back has ink from the artist which dinged it down in the grade. But Bill usually takes a lot of my money at cons. But his prices are ridiculously good for what you get.
Post 799 IP   flag post
Collector Etkt private msg quote post Address this user
Just an observation for JustABitEvil in Post 785. I noticed there is a "star" near the 15 cent label on your Avengers 87. I was an Air Force brat back in the late 60s at Bitburg Air Force Base in Germany. I have many comics from that era with the same "star." It signified, I believe, that the comic was from a Base Exchange (BX), i.e., the Armed Forces Exchange. Not sure where your comic originated specifically, but thought others with similar stamps might be enlightened.
Post 800 IP   flag post
Collector Xobairowar private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this back last week! Looks GREAT!
Post 801 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

Love the Savage Tales! Better than my NM copy. Nice!
Post 802 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Couple of recent acquisitions. All the way from Hong Cong. Thanks to poka.

Post 803 IP   flag post
I already have 3 NM copies of Gambit's 1st appearance, so I figured it was time to get the hotter 2nd appearance despite the fugly parallelogram miscut.

I collect covers where characters are surrounded by a circle of enemies, so the 'Tec 411 fits.
Plus Talia, of course.
Fortunately, I'm satisfied with low grade 'keys' or 'hot' books if need be (you should see my Iron Man 55).
When it comes to DC I'm late to the party, being a Marvel fan as a kid and only giving DC's top titles a cursory glance. But that's okay because, while more expensive than if I were a life long fan, it's fun collecting Batman titles. In fact, I'd buy a modern Batman TPB before a modern Marvel TPB without hesitation. I'm sure Marvel has decent reads- don't light the torches , but for me right now, Bats is cooler. It just took me a while to truly appreciate how cool this non-powered hero is.

I like collecting the 1st appearances of Marvel's cosmic comic characters, and needed the ST 138

Post 804 IP   flag post
Some impulse upgrades, since they were affordable.
I've decided to actively hoard at least 4 similarly conditioned copies of 'hot' books because I have 4 grandchildren. Lord knows if they'll even care to keep them when the time comes, but wth, it's fun.

Upgrading my FINE-ish WBN 32 isn't likely to happen any time soon since that kind of money can be used for other biggies, and I like the cover for 33 more anyway, so at almost half of 2017's GPA avg, :takeit:
However, it's interesting to learn what measure of corner creases are allowed on VFs at CGC. Would a CBCS 8.0 have a 3/4" corner crease? Serious question.

The Spider-Woman 1 is just a great cover- There's something more aesthetically pleasing about her look from other curvy female characters of the BA, and Romita scored a bullseye with the art.

And obviously I'll want each of the kids to have a copy of Sandman #1, so I got another.

Post 805 IP   flag post
597868 999 30