Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector Silentstrider private msg quote post Address this user
Keep forgetting to posts these. Jeffery Moy Front/Back Covers.

Post 576 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this back from CBCS yesterday. Shout-out to Trinity for getting me the sig.

Overall I'm a little disappointed. It was a private signing at Boston Comicon...and Boston Comicon isn't even isn't even mentioned in the label. The details of the contents (e.g., reprints AF15, artists, etc) are all on the back of the label. The front of the label is practically blank. I'm not understanding why such information that normally is on the front was placed on the back. I plan on looking at some examples of this comic slabbed and other signature series as examples to see if this is routine...and maybe contacting CBCS about it if I find it's not.

I was also hoping Mr. Lee would sign with a blue marker which I identified in several places around the window for the signature. I even included a marker in hopes he would use it...but that was somewhat wishful hoping as I'm sure he's rushing through them as fast as he can...as evidenced by the sloppy signature.

Then there's the grade, I was hoping for a 9.0 or better. It's a really nice comic, corners perfect, no blunting or folds or "hanging chads"...lays flat and crisp color; however the few spine ticks around the staples and the horizontal "scratch" along the bottom killed it...mostly the scratch (probably an entire 1.0 hit). Was thinking being a newsprint reprint that came as an insert within a newspaper there would be a sliding scale for these types of defects. I even had it pressed to get the best grade possible. I knew a disappointing grade was a risk and actually searched for better copies on ebay, but could not acquire one in time for the signing...so I went with the one I had acquired myself as it adds something person too.

Overall if I'm stuck with it, I'll be content. I do want a comic with Mr. Lee's signature (what's a comic collection without one?) and it has to be AF #15...not interested in any others. May see if I can snag a better condition copy and if the opportunity presents itself try to do this again for a better result...then sell the one I don't want. May actually break even with the cost I put into it.

Post 577 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Asked Mr. Portacio what character he wanted to draw, and said Apocalypse, which is awesome because I love his work and Remender's Apoc Solution is epic.

Post 578 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
New arrivals!

I have to give thanks to Lone Star Comics (www.mycomicshop.com). I've had a first edition first-printing set of "V for Vendetta" on my want list for a while. The e-mail came in a couple days ago, and they are beautiful.

Next up, a full set of "Ronin". I have to admit, not a huge fan of the story; but the art is so eye-catching, it's going to look great on the wall.

Finally, a pair of Dark Horse Aliens comics, the regular & platinum editions.

Post 579 IP   flag post
Collector mr_brendo private msg quote post Address this user

Picked these asm 692 variants up today. Pretty excited to add them to my collection.
Post 580 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I'm a little disappointed. It was a private signing at Boston Comicon...and Boston Comicon isn't even isn't even mentioned in the label. The details of the contents (e.g., reprints AF15, artists, etc) are all on the back of the label. The front of the label is practically blank. I'm not understanding why such information that normally is on the front was placed on the back. I plan on looking at some examples of this comic slabbed and other signature series as examples to see if this is routine...and maybe contacting CBCS about it if I find it's not.

Yes, all of that is standard routine. CBCS stopped putting the name of the show where the book was signed on the label when they switched away from the rivet label, regardless of it being a private signing or not.

CBCS puts the credits for reprinted material on the back of the label. If there is new material for the book, like a new backup story or a new cover, those credits will be listed on the front. Again, that is normal

CGC has a similar policy. On their Gen 2 slabs at least, the back of the label was filled with fine print so they just didn't include the reprint credits. I'm not sure if that's changed with the latest slabs now that the back of their labels are pretty much empty.

Post 581 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Thanks for the examples. I looked at some online auctions and concluded the same thing. So I'm good. Wish cbcs would put more info on the front, but then again if that bothers me that much then in the future I'll go with cgc if their slabs provide more information.
Post 582 IP   flag post
@Drogio They don't. The front label on the new slabs look the same as my example above and the back label only reproduces the information from the front without any reprint credits

Post 583 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user

Finally! I don't usually go for Moderns but Saga is great stuff. Been wanting this book for a while now. Got it at a fair price too.
Post 584 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanw
Hi All

I also picked these up yesterday from a secondhand bookshop that also sells old comics. Chance upon this shop while my wife was doing some after Christmas shopping across the street. These cost me 50 cents each so I think they are a steal....

I picked them out from just the first box I was going through before my wife called me. Brought them home and put backing boards on them.

Cheers
Sean

A Steal indeed! Especially the Jack Kirby New Gods!
Post 585 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
First Kitty Pryde for .50 cents? Yeah, I'd say you did good.
Post 586 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

Finally! I don't usually go for Moderns but Saga is great stuff. Been wanting this book for a while now. Got it at a fair price too.

Very cool. I think we're all kicking ourselves for not picking this book up for cover price.
Post 587 IP   flag post
Added a few more really nice books to my Conan Run. It's taking all the will power I have to resist starting in on some of the cooler "Savage Sword" Mags. I will eventually start in on them, but Im trying to stay focused on my #1-#100 Conan the Barbarian Run first. Im now at 50 out of 100. Of coarse I still need most of the BWS issues, including #24 (1st Red Sonya. I find the BWS issues much less appealing than the John Buscema, Gil Kane Issues which I consider to be the books that really defined the look and feel of Conan in the mid to late Seventies.

Post 588 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Daddy just slammed home a cherry copy of a SA Marvel key.....for about 10 cents on the dollar..
Post 589 IP   flag post
What did ya get, @CopperAgeKids?
Post 590 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Daddy just slammed home a cherry copy of a SA Marvel key.....for about 10 cents on the dollar..

You can't do that here. Pics or it didn't happen.
Post 591 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Didn’t realize Adam Hughes did some Red Sonja covers. Added this to my stack of catwoman and zatanna covers to be signed.

Post 592 IP   flag post
Collector seanw private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All

Picked these 4 Wolverine issues up from the same secondhand bookshop again on Sunday evening before they closed for the day for 50 cents each. They are space fillers and an additional #8 for my collection. I wonder how would the badly removed price tag by the previous owner affect the grade.

Cheers
Sean

Post 593 IP   flag post
Nice cool Early wolverines. As for the price tag damage. For somewhat more modern books I don't think I would be too concerned about the grades. they appear to be fairly low grade and the price tag damage would only contribute to lower grade yet. They're .50 cent readers..... The Hulk #8 Issue is a fantastic read! Well worth the price of admission! Enjoy the read!
Post 594 IP   flag post
So Ive been working on a High grade Swamp Thing Run #1-#100

I Picked off the last two Alan Moore Issues I needed. Im still debating on cracking the graded book out.

Upon filing my new copy of #36 I noticed that my Copy of #35 was not as nice as I had thought, so now it is back on my want list Two steps forward.... One step Back I guess.

Happy Collecting
John
Post 595 IP   flag post
Up Next! Frank Millers "Dark Knight Returns"

I really wanted all 9.8, but they were just to damn expensive!

Post 596 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 funny you brought this up. Just bought one . Will upload tmr or day after once done packing all the DNM 4
Post 597 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@BigRedOne1944 funny you brought this up. Just bought one . Will upload tmr or day after once done packing all the DNM 4

same actually!

recently bought my #1 I was hunting for... so happy that I got it. will upload tonight as well

Was it Dark Knight Returns season or something?
Post 598 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 - Nice pickups, John. I wish you would have told me that you were looking for a DNR set.

If anyone is still looking for a DNR set (all graded by CBCS - 3@9.4 and 1@9.6), send me a PM.
Post 599 IP   flag post
Collector GrimJack private msg quote post Address this user

Very rare Mitch Gerads signed copy.
Post 600 IP   flag post
I just got my books from Aspen's post-Christmas sale! I didn't go overboard, just Civil War #5, Tribute to Michael Turner (which is even cheaper now), and the Fathom Definitive Edition Hardcover w/ mini Print

I'm especially happy with the Hardcover since it (mostly) completes my set of Fathom hardcovers

Post 601 IP   flag post
A few months ago i bought/won a small silverage Daredevil collection. I bid on it due to #1 which seemed to be a solid mid-grade. i received the collection this week and not disappointed. i will keep these two. Joe @CFP_Comics coming your way for pressing and submission. given they are for my own collection i would love to submit to CBCS but given the comics i submitted and was received by CBCS more than a month ago still haven't made it to the “received” stage and not getting any replies from customer service - easy choice to use CGC for these comics.

Post 602 IP   flag post
Aside from the fading/lack of gloss, that DD #1 looks pretty sharp, @poka.
Post 603 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Aside from the fading/lack of gloss, that DD #1 looks pretty sharp, @poka.

yep it is a bit faded
Post 604 IP   flag post
Purchases which I made in December, except for this beautiful sketch drawn by a Polish girl and a gift from my Santa gift. Had actually been thinking of getting a HQ sketch done for a long time.

Post 605 IP   flag post
597930 999 30