Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer hadn’t seen that one but looks fun!
Post 526 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to make a whole new thread about it so this is as good a place as any to post this. I was catching up on some paperwork and filing and as I was going through some books I bought recently I found some free Halloween Comicfest books included.

After the initial excitement of finding the free books I noticed that each and every one of them had a sticker promoting the comic store stuck to them, pretty much eliminating the chance that any of them every becomes valuable.

So I will take this opportunity to thank the geniuses at Time Warp Comics in Cedar Grove, NJ for wrecking these books. Way to turn an otherwise great opportunity to do something nice for your customers into a disaster.

Some stores do this on free comic book day as well. If anyone knows why people feel compelled to do things like this, please feel free to chime in.
Post 527 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament If it wasn't for all of the pictures I was going to guess Gweneth Paltrow's severed head.

Post 528 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@BabaLament If it wasn't for all of the pictures I was going to guess Gweneth Paltrow's severed head.

I know its supposed to be an unboxing video, but I can't do video. I have been known to use the occasional four-letter word, and the mess of packing peanuts in the shipping box elicited more than a few. Seriously, what happened to the CBCS shipping boxes? I was not expecting a giant wad of bubble wrap & roll of packing tape.
Post 529 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Quote:

I know its supposed to be an unboxing video, but I can't do video. I have been known to use the occasional four-letter word, and the mess of packing peanuts in the shipping box elicited more than a few. Seriously, what happened to the CBCS shipping boxes? I was not expecting a giant wad of bubble wrap & roll of packing tape.

If you want something packed with way, way to many packing peanuts try buying some slabs from My Comic Shop when you get a chance.

I bought about 75 books from them (65 or so slabs I think) and got seven or eight huge boxes in the mail. It took me the better part of a morning to unpack everything.
Post 530 IP   flag post

Quote:
If you want something packed with way, way to many packing peanuts try buying some slabs from My Comic Shop when you get a chance.

LoL! Yeah, they ship packing peanuts in bulk with each order. However, they also send slabbed books in those nice, individual cardboard mailers; which is awesome.

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them; they are extremely nice if you ever have occasion to get them on the phone, and their in-house grading is extremely conservative. The ASM #500 & #600 out of the above photos came from them as VF+. This came in the mail today, and I'm not sure where along the scale its going to land. It looks like its never been read/opened. Anyone help me out w/ a guesstimate on this one? Its for my personal collection, so its getting a slab & going on the wall regardless, but it would be nice to have a solid guesstimate going in.
Post 531 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
Just picked these up recently. Happy to add them to my collection

Post 532 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
So excited!
Post 533 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Quote:

LoL! Yeah, they ship packing peanuts in bulk with each order. However, they also send slabbed books in those nice, individual cardboard mailers; which is awesome.

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them; they are extremely nice if you ever have occasion to get them on the phone, and their in-house grading is extremely conservative. The ASM #500 & #600 out of the above photos came from them as VF+. This came in the mail today, and I'm not sure where along the scale its going to land. It looks like its never been read/opened. Anyone help me out w/ a guesstimate on this one? Its for my personal collection, so its getting a slab & going on the wall regardless, but it would be nice to have a solid guesstimate going in.

Anywhere from a 9.8 to a 0.5, depending on whether the back cover is attached and the condition.

Sorry, I'm a jerk. πŸ€—
Post 534 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing special. Fished it out of a $1 bin, so can’t complain about that. Always thought this was a funny cover.

Post 535 IP   flag post
Gradually replacing my early run on Marvel Transformers with high graded slabs when I can grab them for essentially the price of slabbing.

Recent pick-ups. Issue #1 (Newsstand!) arrived today...heard a "plop" when I opened my garage door this morning...there it was...with "FRAGILE" written all over the box sitting halfway into my garage waiting for me to drive over it...

Fortunately that did not happen...(although it did happen last year with an x-mas gift)...not the brightest bulbs, my USPS carriers...
Post 536 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Nothing special. Fished it out of a $1 bin, so can’t complain about that. Always thought this was a funny cover.

Robin & David Carradine, eh?
Post 537 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

Got all these for a very fair price. Happy to have them.
Post 538 IP   flag post
@Drogio If you are looking for upgrades I have a 9.8 copy of issue 2 up on Comic Connect:

Post 539 IP   flag post
@drchaos Thanks for the heads up. I just wanted 9.4/9.6 copies as I knew I could snag them for $50 (or less). The upgrade to 9.8 is a price hike I can't afford.

And if I get one at 9.8, then they all have to be 9.8's! And I really can't afford that!

I am in the market for issues 5 through 8 in 9.6/9.8 though.
Post 540 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35

@Themaxx35
My son is a huge Batman fan but hates Robin. He was going to collect covers where Robin dies or is getting beat up. When I explained that he would actually be collecting Robin books, he changed his mind.
Post 541 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
@drchaos Thanks for the heads up. I just wanted 9.4/9.6 copies as I knew I could snag them for $50 (or less). The upgrade to 9.8 is a price hike I can't afford.

And if I get one at 9.8, then they all have to be 9.8's! And I really can't afford that!

I am in the market for issues 5 through 8 in 9.6/9.8 though.

I have been picking up multiple copies of 1 and 2. I got Bob Budiansky to sign several of them. One of the 2s also has Michael Golden and Jim Salicrup. I paid a facilitator to get Bill Sienkiewicz on a copy of issue 1.
Post 542 IP   flag post
@drchaos #2 was the first comic I ever bought, summer of 1987. Paid $6, I believe. I read that issue so many times, and didn't care for them like I do today. I believe I sold it with a bundle of other lower grade issues years ago as I was striving for higher grades and to complete my run of 1-80. 30 years later here I am, buying a 9.6 copy..paid $31 slabbed, though. Not bad.
Post 543 IP   flag post
Picked up a set of Deadpool: Back in Black + a very nice copy of ASM #252
Post 544 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't intend to buy my own Christmas presents, but it worked out that way. Tommy Castillo .passed away in June, 2017. A few months before that, I had paid him for a commission. Due to his health struggles, he never got beyond doing some preliminary rough sketches. After he passed, I was able to work with his widow, Sammy, to get a few pieces of his artwork for what I had paid for the commission. This is one of those pieces and it arrived yesterday! I TRIED to wait to open the package for Christmas. I think I made it 10 minutes!! LOL Anyway, it is Batman in a cemetery with Madame Leota, from Haunted Mansion comics, in the lower right. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!!

Also, here are a few comics that were gifted to me recently.

During this holiday season, I'm thankful for all the friends I've made in the comic book community!!!
Post 545 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user

Mail call
Post 546 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@AndyRexia wow that is a very clean book, nice find πŸ‘ŒπŸ»
Post 547 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@AndyRexia wow that is a very clean book, nice find πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

Thanks SB. I'm hoping it grades high. We'll see.
Post 548 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

These arrived just before Christmas. My last additions for this year.
Post 549 IP   flag post
Always nice to get a few comics under the tree πŸŽ„. My wife was too good to me. She doesnt care much about grades, so I dare not ask what she had to pay for these.

I’d put them at 9.2 and 4.5, and will certainly enjoy them!

Post 550 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O That HoS has a great cover!
Post 551 IP   flag post
Quote:
Always nice to get a few comics under the tree πŸŽ„. My wife was too good to me. She doesnt care much about grades, so I dare not ask what she had to pay for these.

I’d put them at 9.2 and 4.5, and will certainly enjoy them!

Some of my favorite comics in my collection are the ones my wife has bought me. It doesn't happen often which makes it that much more special to me.
Post 552 IP   flag post
Here it is at last. CBCS was kind enough to take a picture of it before shipping it back to me πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

Post 553 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here it is at last. CBCS was kind enough to take a picture of it before shipping it back to me πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

Congratulations on making an appearance on the Featured Comics Page
Post 554 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up a couple nice books for my ASM run

Post 555 IP   flag post
601280 999 30