Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Please tell me that scribble mark at the top isn't something trying to pass as a signature


What a hateful thing to say.

Publicly denigrating someone's signature just because it doesn't conform to your idea of what a signature should look like is just wrong, especially after the rough personal time Frank has had over the years. He owes you nothing more than to sign the book.

Best Wishes to Frank Miller and his Family, and a Big Thanks for the outstanding work over the years that I have had the privilege to enjoy.

DocBrown
Post 451 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
It arrived! Christmas came early! Marvel Collectible Classics #1: ASM #300 Chromium!

Very lovely.

Did you know that those came out in 1998 for $10 each retail...?

And that, until about the about late 1999, they weren't really all that popular, being "reprints"...?

I bought a couple for $10, and sold them on eBay for $25 in the summer of 1999...thought I was hot stuff.

Post 452 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Mazz doesn't sign books. Nice.

Another d-bag creator who can't be bothered to do something nice for the fans that supported his work.


What's up with that? I don't know why they wont support. Which was why I got worried when Frank disappeared, i wanted both and I didn't think it was going to happen.

Another one I wish I had more of was Barry Windsor Smith


I don't, either. Unfortunately, a lot of collectors worship creators...oh, sure, they don't light candles in their shrines for them, but close enough...and put them on pedestals they have no business being on. And, sadly, some of those creators allow it to go to their heads.

If someone supported me and paid my bills by buying my work, I would be thrilled to sign it. That's how it works in the real world. Unfortunately, too much of comics is fantasy land, and when combined with addict behavior, you have a toxic mixture of people who will tolerate any bad behavior from creators and sellers, and then gladly slay you for touching their idols (i.e., "disrespecting" them in any way.)

Creators are human, just like everyone else, subject to the same flaws and foibles as everyone else, and also subject to criticism...just like everyone else.

In Mazz' and BWS' cases, they have a wildly unhealthy greed that tells them that no one should ever profit off of their work except them (and, you know, publishers, printers, retailers, distributors, etc.)...and that ESPECIALLY means fans who are the ultimate consumers of their effort.

So, they refuse to sign comics, because someone might sell them, and they don't think that's fair that someone should do what they want to do with their property. It's just simple greed. Does BWS reward me for the multiple copies of Weapon X and Archer & Armstrong I bought, thereby supporting him and his work...? Nope.

100% their right to refuse. 100% my right to criticize for it.
Post 453 • IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Another nice Filibuster spin Doc
Post 454 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Another nice Filibuster spin Doc


If you have a problem with what someone says, why, instead of sitting in holier-than-thou judgment on them, calling what they've said "hateful", can't you simply express your disagreement? You know, like "I don't think Mazzuchelli is a d-bag for not signing, but it would be nice if he did"...? or "you're a d-bag for calling Mazzuchelli a d-bag." At least that would be respectable.

There's nothing "hateful" about what I said. I express my criticism precisely because I appreciate Mazzuchelli's work so much, not because I hate it or him. But you don't understand that, do you...?

People complain about me being "caustic", "tone-deaf", and "lacking in self-awareness", very little of which is true, but they never quite manage to see their own toxicity.

Interesting.

PS. "I don't think that word means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya
Post 455 • IP   flag post


Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Your Bats #404, DJC, is lovely, and congrats to you for getting a rarer-than-hen's-teeth Mazz sig.

Post 456 • IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Doc:
Im sure if you type some more psycho babble Spin to justify calling the guy a D-bag simply because he won't sign your book, you'll eventually convince yourself of how right you are.
Post 457 • IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Now Back to our regularly scheduled program.


Ive been working on a Conan Run as of late. Im more interested in the Buscema Issues, but have picked up a few of the Earlier BWS issues when the price is right.


Post 458 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Doc:
Im sure if you type some more psycho babble Spin to justify calling the guy a D-bag simply because he won't sign your book, you'll eventually convince yourself of how right you are.


BidRed: I'm sure if you type some more derogatory comments, I'll respond to them, because confronting hostile, aggressive trolling head-on really is the best way to deal with it.

Oh, and you've made another error: I didn't call him a d-bag simply because he won't sign MY book. I called him a d-bag because he won't sign ANYONE'S books, because he's afraid someone besides him might "profit off his signature." That's naked greed, and for that, he's a d-bag. The greedy are d-bags by default.

Bit of a difference there, not at all subtle.
Post 459 • IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944



What a hateful thing to say..

Publically judging someone with vulgar name calling slurs just because they don't conform to your
personal wishes is just wrong. He owes you nothing more than the fantastic work he has done.

Best Wishes to David Mazzucchelli and his Family, and a Big Thanks for the outstanding work over the years that I have had the privilege to enjoy.

John


Amen
Post 460 • IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
It arrived! Christmas came early! Marvel Collectible Classics #1: ASM #300 Chromium!

Very lovely.

Did you know that those came out in 1998 for $10 each retail...?

And that, until about the about late 1999, they weren't really all that popular, being "reprints"...?

I bought a couple for $10, and sold them on eBay for $25 in the summer of 1999...thought I was hot stuff.



I didn't know that Doc; very interesting. As much as I can appreciate the value of the comic, I'm more interested in the art. The ASM #300 cover swipes are my favorite cover design, and this was the capstone for my collection. I've got all of the Marvel-published ASM #300 swipes.

...Unfortunately, that isn't going to be enough. I've been hitting up the commission lists of some artists I like trying to get custom swipes made. So far I've gotten lucky, I have a gentleman doing a #300 swipe w/ the 2099 costume, Scarlet Spider (Ben Riley), & a really off-the-wall idea I asked for: a Venom Noir variant.
Post 461 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944



What a hateful thing to say..

Publically judging someone with vulgar name calling slurs just because they don't conform to your
personal wishes is just wrong. He owes you nothing more than the fantastic work he has done.

Best Wishes to David Mazzucchelli and his Family, and a Big Thanks for the outstanding work over the years that I have had the privilege to enjoy.

John


Amen


You've asked me not to comment to or about you on this board.

However, you continue to reply to comments about me on this board.

"Oh, I was only replying to the "Best Wishes" part", you may protest. If that is so, then edit out the derogatory comments, so it's crystal clear.

So I'll ask you again: please keep your comments about me to yourself. And, if you can possibly manage it, your serial "liking" of other people's criticisms & derogatory comments of and to me.

Thank you.
Post 462 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
It arrived! Christmas came early! Marvel Collectible Classics #1: ASM #300 Chromium!

Very lovely.

Did you know that those came out in 1998 for $10 each retail...?

And that, until about the about late 1999, they weren't really all that popular, being "reprints"...?

I bought a couple for $10, and sold them on eBay for $25 in the summer of 1999...thought I was hot stuff.



I didn't know that Doc; very interesting. As much as I can appreciate the value of the comic, I'm more interested in the art. The ASM #300 cover swipes are my favorite cover design, and this was the capstone for my collection. I've got all of the Marvel-published ASM #300 swipes.

...Unfortunately, that isn't going to be enough. I've been hitting up the commission lists of some artists I like trying to get custom swipes made. So far I've gotten lucky, I have a gentleman doing a #300 swipe w/ the 2099 costume, Scarlet Spider (Ben Riley), & a really off-the-wall idea I asked for: a Venom Noir variant.


It's funny...when ASM #300 came out, it didn't take the comic world by storm. In fact, for the first several years, #298 was "the" issue to have, back when an artist's first issue was the in-thing. When #301 came out, people thought it was a clever play on the previous issue. But over the rest of that year (1988), the comic world became more and more enamored with Todd's art, and those books became more and more popular.

There have been dips and lulls, but no one could have imagined when the book came out that it would be, hands down, the most valuable Marvel book of the entire decade...and, in fact, the most valuable Marvel book of the last 40 years. You have to go back to X-Men #94 to find one consistently more valuable, though IF #14 gives it a run for its money.
Post 463 • IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
As weird as it may be to say it; I'm not into it for the monetary value. I really like the art/image.

I can't tell you why; its not the most technically demanding cover (that'll probably be held by ASM #700 for a while due to all the detail), fine-art (any Alex Ross cover you care to find), or gimick-y (die-cut, holofoil, handcrafted by angels, etc.), its just art that appeals to me.

As such I'm going to do what I can to get as many costume variants as I can made, and hopefully Marvel will release new ones over time that I can put on the wall next to the custom commissions.
Post 464 • IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
It arrived! Christmas came early! Marvel Collectible Classics #1: ASM #300 Chromium!

Very lovely.

Did you know that those came out in 1998 for $10 each retail...?

And that, until about the about late 1999, they weren't really all that popular, being "reprints"...?

I bought a couple for $10, and sold them on eBay for $25 in the summer of 1999...thought I was hot stuff.



I didn't know that Doc; very interesting. As much as I can appreciate the value of the comic, I'm more interested in the art. The ASM #300 cover swipes are my favorite cover design, and this was the capstone for my collection. I've got all of the Marvel-published ASM #300 swipes.

...Unfortunately, that isn't going to be enough. I've been hitting up the commission lists of some artists I like trying to get custom swipes made. So far I've gotten lucky, I have a gentleman doing a #300 swipe w/ the 2099 costume, Scarlet Spider (Ben Riley), & a really off-the-wall idea I asked for: a Venom Noir variant.


It's funny...when ASM #300 came out, it didn't take the comic world by storm. In fact, for the first several years, #298 was "the" issue to have, back when an artist's first issue was the in-thing. When #301 came out, people thought it was a clever play on the previous issue. But over the rest of that year (1988), the comic world became more and more enamored with Todd's art, and those books became more and more popular.

There have been dips and lulls, but no one could have imagined when the book came out that it would be, hands down, the most valuable Marvel book of the entire decade...and, in fact, the most valuable Marvel book of the last 40 years. You have to go back to X-Men #94 to find one consistently more valuable, though IF #14 gives it a run for its money.


I never really understood why anyone cares about X-Men 94.

Giant Size 1 is the 1st new team, the first appearance of many Now iconic characters, and the actual second appearance of Wolverine.
Post 465 • IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

I never really understood why anyone cares about X-Men 94.

Giant Size 1 is the 1st new team, the first appearance of many Now iconic characters, and the actual second appearance of Wolverine.


Because it was the first "new" issue of the regular series after several years of reprints. There was a time when it was more valuable than GSXM#1...though that was also the time when you could get a NM Hulk #181 for around $20.
Post 466 • IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻

Post 467 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻



Same here. Was going to throw my hat in the ring but thought better of it as we’ve had the same argument over and over again here on the creator subject.

For the record, I dont think @BigRedOne was trolling at all.
Post 468 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻



Same here. Was going to throw my hat in the ring but thought better of it as we’ve had the same argument over and over again here on the creator subject.

For the record, I dont think @BigRedOne was trolling at all.


In that case, I'm not quite sure you know what "trolling" is.

And you don't think your comment here is trolling either, no...?
Post 469 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻



This is just fuel for the fire.

Although, it could be fun if we look at it the right way...


Post 470 • IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Guys - seriously - x-mas month and this is the role model you set for your kids and others. Are you guys still kids or grown-ups. Can you at least pretend peace for a couple of weeks or go hibernating until Spring!
Post 471 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
C'mon poka. You surely know that this place is full of grown-downs.

Your post made me chuckle.
Post 472 • IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
C'mon poka. You surely know that this place is full of grown-downs.

Your post made me chuckle.


I know - mission impossible
Post 473 • IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻



This is just fuel for the fire.

Although, it could be fun if we look at it the right way...



Doc, your post made me actually lol 😊
Post 474 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Guys - seriously - x-mas month and this is the role model you set for your kids and others. Are you guys still kids or grown-ups. Can you at least pretend peace for a couple of weeks or go hibernating until Spring!


Not sure who you're referring to, but I agree that attacking a poster and calling their comments "hateful" for expressing their opinion about a creator (who is NOT a member of this forum) who doesn't appreciate his fans is inappropriate and a bad role model...especially from someone who criticized someone else's signature a couple of posts prior.

Combined with the unintentionally ironic comments of others, it's downright embarrassing.

Not sure what x-mas has to do with it, though. Should civility be confined to only one month a year...?
Post 475 • IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Mazz doesn't sign books. Nice.

Another d-bag creator who can't be bothered to do something nice for the fans that supported his work.


What's up with that? I don't know why they wont support. Which was why I got worried when Frank disappeared, i wanted both and I didn't think it was going to happen.

Another one I wish I had more of was Barry Windsor Smith


I don't, either. Unfortunately, a lot of collectors worship creators...oh, sure, they don't light candles in their shrines for them, but close enough...and put them on pedestals they have no business being on. And, sadly, some of those creators allow it to go to their heads.

If someone supported me and paid my bills by buying my work, I would be thrilled to sign it. That's how it works in the real world. Unfortunately, too much of comics is fantasy land, and when combined with addict behavior, you have a toxic mixture of people who will tolerate any bad behavior from creators and sellers, and then gladly slay you for touching their idols (i.e., "disrespecting" them in any way.)

Creators are human, just like everyone else, subject to the same flaws and foibles as everyone else, and also subject to criticism...just like everyone else.

In Mazz' and BWS' cases, they have a wildly unhealthy greed that tells them that no one should ever profit off of their work except them (and, you know, publishers, printers, retailers, distributors, etc.)...and that ESPECIALLY means fans who are the ultimate consumers of their effort.

So, they refuse to sign comics, because someone might sell them, and they don't think that's fair that someone should do what they want to do with their property. It's just simple greed. Does BWS reward me for the multiple copies of Weapon X and Archer & Armstrong I bought, thereby supporting him and his work...? Nope.

100% their right to refuse. 100% my right to criticize for it.


I've actually discovered that I was becoming hypercritical of creators due to all the bad experiences with them not simply doing what they say they will do. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that they are always trying to position themselves for their next work assignment while my work assignments are already lined up and processed within a very specific schedule. I've never had to juggle contracts to keep the income flowing. I show up and do my job and get a weekly paycheck. I know now to be disappointed if I deal with a creator before they even utter a word. I'm more likely to be upset with myself for expecting them to do what they say they will do. I think their intentions are good, but they have priorities that will never align with what I expect from them. One creator was going to locate some artwork for me to buy. He said "I'll Look for it when I get home." Three months later he hadn't looked or made any effort to give me feedback. A year later he finally shows up with the art and I buy it. I think a year is a little excessive when you say you'll do something that day. I still respect their talents.
Post 476 • IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown


I don't, either. Unfortunately, a lot of collectors worship creators...oh, sure, they don't light candles in their shrines for them, but close enough...and put them on pedestals they have no business being on. And, sadly, some of those creators allow it to go to their heads.

If someone supported me and paid my bills by buying my work, I would be thrilled to sign it. That's how it works in the real world. Unfortunately, too much of comics is fantasy land, and when combined with addict behavior, you have a toxic mixture of people who will tolerate any bad behavior from creators and sellers, and then gladly slay you for touching their idols (i.e., "disrespecting" them in any way.)

Creators are human, just like everyone else, subject to the same flaws and foibles as everyone else, and also subject to criticism...just like everyone else.

In Mazz' and BWS' cases, they have a wildly unhealthy greed that tells them that no one should ever profit off of their work except them (and, you know, publishers, printers, retailers, distributors, etc.)...and that ESPECIALLY means fans who are the ultimate consumers of their effort.

So, they refuse to sign comics, because someone might sell them, and they don't think that's fair that someone should do what they want to do with their property. It's just simple greed. Does BWS reward me for the multiple copies of Weapon X and Archer & Armstrong I bought, thereby supporting him and his work...? Nope.

100% their right to refuse. 100% my right to criticize for it.


Hm...

Trying to think of a way to formulate my thoughts.
I absolutely agree with you that you have every right to complain about it. I see some people jumped down your throat for having an opinion on here.

I see that is the growing trend of the internet. If you voice dissatisfaction with something, someone else will be quick to call you names and point out how wrong you are. You know who you are.

But in any case, this is the bloody irony about the whole thing...

To all the creators who obviously will never read this...

There is no money in it. None. Zero. Zero money.
If someone thinks that another person is going to make a living off of selling someone else's signature to other people... Then they have no idea how expensive it is to live.

Not even 'To get rich off of...', but just to LIVE. Impossible.

I'm certain many of us here have sold books before and I challenge anyone to argue otherwise.

Creators that refuse to do signings only hurt their fans and themselves.

If creators don't participate for any number of reasons... health, inability, or even just a lack of caring, fine, you're still a dick, but it brings me back to my original point. Only hurting themselves and the fans.
Post 477 • IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻



Same here. Was going to throw my hat in the ring but thought better of it as we’ve had the same argument over and over again here on the creator subject.

For the record, I dont think @BigRedOne was trolling at all.


He wasn't trolling.

He was being a hypocrite

Insulting one creator for his poor signature style, then insulting someone else for them also having a negative view on creators.

Dunno... Sounds like a hypocrite to me.
Post 478 • IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻



Same here. Was going to throw my hat in the ring but thought better of it as we’ve had the same argument over and over again here on the creator subject.

For the record, I dont think @BigRedOne was trolling at all.


He wasn't trolling.

He was being a hypocrite

Insulting one creator for his poor signature style, then insulting someone else for them also having a negative view on creators.

Dunno... Sounds like a hypocrite to me.



Let's just go with the "Dunno" part, because obviously you don't
Post 479 • IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Keeping an eye on this thread 👍🏻



Same here. Was going to throw my hat in the ring but thought better of it as we’ve had the same argument over and over again here on the creator subject.

For the record, I dont think @BigRedOne was trolling at all.


He wasn't trolling.

He was being a hypocrite

Insulting one creator for his poor signature style, then insulting someone else for them also having a negative view on creators.

Dunno... Sounds like a hypocrite to me.



Let's just go with the "Dunno" part, because obviously you don't


Don't be going with plausible deniability because now you just sound like a cheating spouse.

If you're referencing the dunno as a form of intellectual deficit, then I'd be more than happy to take you down a peg or two.

So as far as I can see, you're still a hypocrite. Your move.
Post 480 • IP   flag post
143278 501 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute