Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection Thread #22223

Collector esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Spent the weekend in Maine with the wife. She wanted to do some Christmas shopping in the Freeport and Kittery areas. Stopped at a used bookstore and found nothing, and even found a used comic store south of Portland (overpriced mostly reader-quality books) where I only purchased two (empty) BCW short boxes.
Luckily, I had stopped at my LCS on Friday before we left. They were having a sale and I found these two comics:

Not perfect, but at a price I couldn’t pass up.
Post 426 • IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Happy to get this guy back. Needed franky
Post 427 • IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Please tell me that scribble mark at the top isn't something trying to pass as a signature
Post 428 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Please tell me that scribble mark at the top isn't something trying to pass as a signature

Yeah his sig isn't what it used to be.

What's scarier, and I know this sounds weird, but if you're not careful... or rather, if he's not careful, his signature can look like a dick. So you'll get this dick sketch on a book that you a)probably paid a lot of money for and b) paid $100 for him to draw.
Post 429 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Mazz doesn't sign books. Nice.

Another d-bag creator who can't be bothered to do something nice for the fans that supported his work.
Post 430 • IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

Another d-bag creator who can't be bothered to do something nice for the fans that supported his work.

What's up with that? I don't know why they wont support. Which was why I got worried when Frank disappeared, i wanted both and I didn't think it was going to happen.

Another one I wish I had more of was Barry Windsor Smith
Post 431 • IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
New goodness:

I had to cut off the top of the Spider-Woman; it's a 9.6, but from "across the street." The Secret Wars #8 is currently in QC; I can't wait to see what it comes back as. I have a bunch of other stuff I need to take pictures of; but these are the photos I have handy.
Post 432 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Got six copies of this one today. One for the collection and five for speculation.

Post 433 • IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament Just fyi - we're ok with posting pictures of CGC slabs. But that's it. No PGX, Halo, etc. Just CBCS and CGC slabs are allowed.
Post 434 • IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Halo? You mean there's another babka (besides cgc, cbcs and pgx)?!
Post 435 • IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I am gobsmacked, Australia has a grading company! Probably will never see a Halo, by cracky!
Post 436 • IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II

What's up with that? I don't know why they wont support. Which was why I got worried when Frank disappeared, i wanted both and I didn't think it was going to happen.

Creators "owe" us fans nothing, other than the best work they are capable of doing at the time. Anything else is gravy.
Post 437 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:

Creators "owe" us fans nothing, other than the best work they are capable of doing at the time. Anything else is gravy.

Oh god.

Thanks for your input
Post 438 • IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:

Oh god.

Thanks for your input

You're welcome.
Post 439 • IP   flag post
Aside from the hurricane-induced eternal backlog slowing down TAT's, I'm extremely pleased w/ CBCS thus far, and am not inclined to look elsewhere. The couple of CGC slabs I have are things I've bought. I've read enough PGX horror stories that I won't buy a PGX book, much less send my copies to them. I didn't know HALO existed; honestly it might be cool to have one in the collection for the "WTF" factor, but the shipping would be a killer.
Post 440 • IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user

Post 441 • IP   flag post
It arrived! Christmas came early! Marvel Collectible Classics #1: ASM #300 Chromium!
Post 442 • IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I've wanted this book for a while.

Razor Annual #1, first appearance of Shi, Gold Variant. One of 1200 printed.

This one happens to be double signed.

I don't expect more than an 8.0 after a press, but for what I paid? I'm very happy.

Post 443 • IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Says only 750 gold copies were made...not 1200.
Post 444 • IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. I'm not sure which number to believe. The certificate says 750, & Mycomicshop.com says 1200.

Either way, a rather low print run.
Post 445 • IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga nice ones
Post 446 • IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament congrats
Post 447 • IP   flag post
Quote:

What a hateful thing to say..

Publically judging someone with vulgar name calling slurs just because they don't conform to your
personal wishes is just wrong. He owes you nothing more than the fantastic work he has done.

Best Wishes to David Mazzucchelli and his Family, and a Big Thanks for the outstanding work over the years that I have had the privilege to enjoy.

John
Post 448 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

What a hateful thing to say..

Publically judging someone with vulgar name calling slurs just because they don't conform to your
personal wishes is just wrong. He owes you nothing more than the fantastic work he has done.

Best Wishes to David Mazzucchelli and his Family, and a Big Thanks for the outstanding work over the years that I have had the privilege to enjoy.

John

What a hateful thing to say.

Publicly (note spelling) judging someone with vulgar character assassination just because they don't conform to your personal idea of what someone's opinions should be is just wrong. I owe you nothing more than the fantastic posts I have made.

Best wishes to creators who appreciate their fans and take time out of their lives to interact with them, including signing the items that they helped to create, the purchase of which paid their bills and allowed them to do what they enjoyed doing.

Thanks also to David Mazzuchelli for producing some of the finest artwork of the 80's, complimenting some of the greatest stories to ever grace the medium. But no thanks to you for being unwilling to sign copies of that work.

DocBrown
Post 449 • IP   flag post
Cue the serial likers in 3...2...1....
Post 450 • IP   flag post
Quote:

What a hateful thing to say.

Publicly denigrating someone's signature just because it doesn't conform to your idea of what a signature should look like is just wrong, especially after the rough personal time Frank has had over the years. He owes you nothing more than to sign the book.

Best Wishes to Frank Miller and his Family, and a Big Thanks for the outstanding work over the years that I have had the privilege to enjoy.

DocBrown
Post 451 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
It arrived! Christmas came early! Marvel Collectible Classics #1: ASM #300 Chromium!

Very lovely.

Did you know that those came out in 1998 for $10 each retail...?

And that, until about the about late 1999, they weren't really all that popular, being "reprints"...?

I bought a couple for $10, and sold them on eBay for $25 in the summer of 1999...thought I was hot stuff.

Post 452 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't, either. Unfortunately, a lot of collectors worship creators...oh, sure, they don't light candles in their shrines for them, but close enough...and put them on pedestals they have no business being on. And, sadly, some of those creators allow it to go to their heads.

If someone supported me and paid my bills by buying my work, I would be thrilled to sign it. That's how it works in the real world. Unfortunately, too much of comics is fantasy land, and when combined with addict behavior, you have a toxic mixture of people who will tolerate any bad behavior from creators and sellers, and then gladly slay you for touching their idols (i.e., "disrespecting" them in any way.)

Creators are human, just like everyone else, subject to the same flaws and foibles as everyone else, and also subject to criticism...just like everyone else.

In Mazz' and BWS' cases, they have a wildly unhealthy greed that tells them that no one should ever profit off of their work except them (and, you know, publishers, printers, retailers, distributors, etc.)...and that ESPECIALLY means fans who are the ultimate consumers of their effort.

So, they refuse to sign comics, because someone might sell them, and they don't think that's fair that someone should do what they want to do with their property. It's just simple greed. Does BWS reward me for the multiple copies of Weapon X and Archer & Armstrong I bought, thereby supporting him and his work...? Nope.

100% their right to refuse. 100% my right to criticize for it.
Post 453 • IP   flag post
Another nice Filibuster spin Doc
Post 454 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Another nice Filibuster spin Doc

If you have a problem with what someone says, why, instead of sitting in holier-than-thou judgment on them, calling what they've said "hateful", can't you simply express your disagreement? You know, like "I don't think Mazzuchelli is a d-bag for not signing, but it would be nice if he did"...? or "you're a d-bag for calling Mazzuchelli a d-bag." At least that would be respectable.

There's nothing "hateful" about what I said. I express my criticism precisely because I appreciate Mazzuchelli's work so much, not because I hate it or him. But you don't understand that, do you...?

People complain about me being "caustic", "tone-deaf", and "lacking in self-awareness", very little of which is true, but they never quite manage to see their own toxicity.

Interesting.

PS. "I don't think that word means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya
Post 455 • IP   flag post
148981 632 30
destitute