Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

Batman 457 2nd Prnt UPC : SINGLE GRADED COPY2196

COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Just so you know my longbox are where books go that are not good enough for my regular collection.

The thing is I just went through these to wholesale leftovers the weekend before to MyComicShop. That's how I remembered the cover. The sad part is if it would have been on their buying list I probably would have shipped it off for 50 cents and not thought twice about it. I did not know about this book and it's something I probably would never buy. But with all that said it's going to be going to CBCS next week after that I may consign it somewhere or hell I may set on it for awhile. It's not to high grade you can't tell in the scan but the lower right corner has a 2 inch crease that does lightly break color.
Post 101 IP   flag post
I got my grade back from CBCS book is in transit I'll post it up when I get it in. It's kind of funny CBCS didn't scan it for their gallery oh and it's a 8.0 which I'm happy with, actually a tad higher then expected.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector slym2none private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like a good one, @JWKyle. Can't wait to see it!
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
I got my grade back from CBCS book is in transit I'll post it up when I get it in. It's kind of funny CBCS didn't scan it for their gallery oh and it's a 8.0 which I'm happy with, actually a tad higher then expected.

That was pretty quick, I'm assuming you didn't have it pressed before it was graded?

FWIW, another CGC boardie had his copy graded...he got back a 7.5.

It's on eBay now at around a $1500 BIN OBO.

I suggested to Carl that he have the 2nd copy of this book that I ptessed for him graded quickly, after he sold the first graded copy I pressed for him....I guess he just subbed it at the Big Apple because it hasn't popped up on eBay yet.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

That was pretty quick, I'm assuming you didn't have it pressed before it was graded?

I suggested to Carl that he have the 2nd copy of this book that I ptessed for him graded quickly, after he sold the first graded copy I pressed for him....I guess he just subbed it at the Big Apple because it hasn't popped up on eBay yet.

Did you press it for him?
Post 105 IP   flag post

Here is the graders notes not sure why they listed the corner crease twice though. I pressed the book to get it where it was the book had a lot going on. If I do decide to sell it I may send it to a pro to see if they could get rid of the corner crease. As it is you have to tilt it at a angle to see it. And I still don't have it in hand yet. It should be at my local Fedex tonight

Notes:
light bend top left edge back cover
light spine wear & stress some breaks color
small crease middle right front & back cover breaks color
light edge & corner wear some breaks color
3" crease bottom right corner front cover does not break color
3" crease bottom right corner front cover does not break color
Post 106 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Quote:

Did you press it for him?

Yes, I pressed both of his 2 copies of this book.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Ok here is the book I won't be doing anything with it for the foreseeable future except keeping it in a box again

Post 108 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok here is the book I won't be doing anything with it for the foreseeable future except keeping it in a box again

That would be my two bits of honest advice.

Hell, if you want a stack of silver and bronze books with keys...I'd give you $2000 worth of books in a straight up trade for that slab.

Eh, come on...I call dibs.

It's only fair, if I hadn't stsrted this thread you would have sold the book for fifty cents to MyComicShop. 😉

Kidding about the calling dibs bit but I'd definitely hook uou up with a short box of silver age for that book,
Post 109 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That is amazingly awesome 👌🏻. The epitomy of our kind. Finds the 12th book known to exist, in his .50c box no less, slabs it, and promptly stuffs it back in a box to hoard.

Hats off to you, sir 🎩
Post 110 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user

Post 111 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids yes and thank you for the thread. But it's not for sale or trade. Three have been graded and convention season is starting hopefully a few more will pop up but not a case of them.
Post 112 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm trying to think of something to say about JWKyle's longbox that won't be taken out of context...I've got nothing.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego It could be said that JWKyle has a hotbox.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids yes and thank you for the thread. But it's not for sale or trade. Three have been graded and convention season is starting hopefully a few more will pop up but not a case of them.

No problem, homes...I am not looking to buy the book, only was interested in trading lesser value books in order to cut down on my workload.That's why I would have let you beat me over the head in trade value.

FYI, the 4 or so copies that have popped up in the past year all came from sellers located in Florida.IIRC, 2 of the copies had a black marker/Sharpie mark over the bar code.The CGC 7.5 on eBay is one of the copies with the Sharpie marking.

The second copy I dry cleaned & pressed for Carl Elvis will likely come back from CGC as a 6.5.Even at a 6.5, it is a solid $1000+ book.

Dunno about the grades on the other 7 raw copies out there.

Based on how this book was originally distributed, a box full of them just does not exist.

Your slabbed 8.0 has a decent amount of pressable defects, based on the notes and the FC pic you posted.

If CPR'd, I'd say you'd get a minimum of an 8.5 and as high as a 9.2.

That said, you could very well be sitting on (potentially) the highest graded copy.

There are 7 other copies that could compete with yours for highest graded.

Carl sold his CGC 8.5 for $1200 via best offer, the first day it was listed.I dunno how many offers he got but personally, I think he could have gotten signifigantly more than $1200 for the book, if he had ran a 7 day auction.Not that $1200 is an offer I'd be quick to turn down...but even so, this book is a bigger grail for copper/modern Batman collectors than the Hush RRP variant because it is just plain old scarcer.

That said, it is best IMO to strike while the iron is hot.

Wait intil convention season and one of the 7 other raws could be subbed and wind up as thr highest graded copy.

Selling a book like this at a con also limits your potential buying audience.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Quote:

Based on how this book was originally distributed, a box full of them just does not exist.

How was this book originally distributed?
Post 116 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Original distribution of this book was a twofold process.

It was originally bundled by the hands of magical Elves, in a mystical portway that briefly existed between The Land Of Fairie and DC's warehouse.

Subsequently, all copies were spirited away to select newsstands with the greatest of speed, under the wings of Fairies.

Obviously.
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Original distribution of this book was a twofold process.

It was originally bundled by the hands of magical Elves, in a mystical portway that briefly existed between The Land Of Fairie and DC's warehouse.

Subsequently, all copies were spirited away to select newsstands with the greatest of speed, under the wings of Fairies.

Obviously.

lol

Ok, so how did it really happen?
Post 118 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think that was his clever way of saying it's a mystery and will likely always be. Probably some poor smo named Ash working manager at an S-Mart in Florida accidentally ordered a case of these right before his store was destroyed by demons.
Post 119 IP   flag post
CAK doesn't know how these were distributed. It's not wise to say things like "Based on how these were originally distributed, a box full of them just does not exist", when you don't know how they were distributed.

Just be honest about it.

Post 120 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Easy math. @JWKyle's longbox produces one every 2.25 years. 😁

Quote:
CAK doesn't know how these were distributed. It's not wise to say things like "Based on how these were originally distributed, a box full of them just does not exist", when you don't know how they were distributed.

Just be honest about it.

Its obvious you're just trying to pick a fight; thus there's no point in giving a real answer 🍺
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Quote:

Just be honest about it.

Its obvious you're just trying to pick a fight; thus there's no point in giving a real answer 🍺

It is? How do you know?

So, people can make things up out of thin air, and imply that they know something they don't, but if someone challenges that, it's "obvious they're just trying to pick a fight"...?

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm trying to make sure inaccurate information isn't spread, and that trying to appear that one knows more than they actually do isn't tolerated.

I was actually hoping CAK might know something about this, but his non-serious answer showed that he didn't.

But, to you, that's "just trying to pick a fight."

Very bizarre.

Not that this is necessary, but I like CAK, in his own weird way. He's earnest, but frequently incorrect...but he doesn't get hostile when he's corrected, unlike many.

Why are you trying to instigate a fight by impugning my motives?

And all the "likes" of your instigating post are quite telling. You pick a fight to make it look like I'm picking a fight. And people like it, but exposing the truth...that there wasn't any "real" answer...that's bad, and wrong, and doesn't deserve any "likes" from those people.

You people are quite amazing.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Quote:

Just be honest about it.

It is? How do you know?

So, people can make things up out of thin air, and imply that they know something they don't, but if someone challenges that, it's "obvious they're just trying to pick a fight"...?

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm trying to make sure inaccurate information isn't spread, and that trying to appear that one knows more than they actually do isn't tolerated.

I was actually hoping CAK might know something about this, but his non-serious answer showed that he didn't.

But, to you, that's "just trying to pick a fight."

Very bizarre.

Not that this is necessary, but I like CAK, in his own weird way. He's earnest, but frequently incorrect...but he doesn't get hostile when he's corrected, unlike many.

Why are you trying to instigate a fight by impugning my motives?

Thanks, but I dunno about the "frequently incorrect" part.

To your point, I know absolutely nothing more about the original distribution of this book than has already been discussed in this thread.

Could 300+ copies be sitting in
storage somewhere?

Yes, they very well could be.

Based on the fact thst the handful of copies that have been found recently all seem to have come out of Florida, that could be indicitive of something.

What that something is, I don't know.
Post 123 IP   flag post
600503 123 23
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.