Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Should I risk a press or just reholder it?2191

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So I have a CGC 9.6 white pages copy of Marvel Tales #2 from 1965. I have been going back and forth for months on what to do with it though. The grader notes are:

*Bottom Front Cover Small Indent
*Spine Lite Stress Lines

The case has a hairline crack so there are two options open to me.

1) Crack it, press it, submit for a possible 9.8

2) Submit back to CGC for reholder and keep the 9.6

The value jump is HUGE from 9.6 to 9.8, but I'm not sure how well books like this press out. There is only one 9.8 on the CGC census by the way. Please help me decide!

Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
So cracking it, press it and resubmit to cgc. If you submit it to cbcs you risk getting a 9.4 to 9.6. Which IMHO is a good thing. Cgc is much looser with thier grades. Cbcs is more accurate with their grading. So if you are looking to flip it for cash then shoot for cgc to maybe get a 9.8.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
So I have a CGC 9.6 white pages copy of Marvel Tales #2 from 1965. I have been going back and forth for months on what to do with it though. The grader notes are:

*Spine Lite Stress Lines

The case has a hairline crack so there are two options open to me.

1) Crack it, press it, submit for a possible 9.8

2) Submit back to CGC for reholder and keep the 9.6

The value jump is HUGE from 9.6 to 9.8, but I'm not sure how well books like this press out. There is only one 9.8 on the CGC census by the way. Please help me decide!

Both of those defects in the graders notes can be pressed out by any presser who knows what he's doing.

Have it pressed, send it to the presser in the slab as it is...along with a silver/gold pre-creased Mylite2 with 2 full backs and a mag sized top loader for shipping to CGC or CBCS.

No guarantee pressing out those defects will get a 9.8 but if so....

Ca-ching.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
So cracking it, press it and resubmit to cgc. If you submit it to cbcs you risk getting a 9.4 to 9.6. Which IMHO is a good thing. Cgc is much looser with thier grades. Cbcs is more accurate with their grading. So if you are looking to flip it for cash then shoot for cgc to maybe get a 9.8.

I was thinking crack, press, submit to CBCS. I would not feel as bad getting a 9.6 from CBCS even after a press, but if it got a 9.4 I would be devastated. I'm going to look over the book again in the morning just in case there is something else CGC may have missed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Good odds of pressing that a 9.8
Post 5 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes you have to leave well enough alone.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Darth and Earth...on paper it looks good for a 9.8..but man, when you already have the Ferrari , why add horsepower
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I am very good at pressing square bound books. No guarantees on a grade bump, but I'd be happy to give it a shot. 😊
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga

*Spine Lite Stress Lines

Do those stress lines break color? There's a lot of white on that cover but the image is too small to see finer details.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
No way I would have it pressed on the possibility it would get a .2 bump. It's a gorgeous book as-is.

Keep it intact or re-holder. Why chance that it will come back lower?

The assumption with going forward with pressing and re-grading is that those minor defects can be addressed such that a new grader, without access to those notes, will bump the grade. Who knows whether that's likely?

As an aside, I haven't checked any sources, so what's the difference in market value?
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
s an aside, I haven't checked any sources, so what's the difference in market value

My source says down $200 for 9.4 and up 1k for 9.8!

IMO send to Steve for pre-screen opinion and go from there
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
s an aside, I haven't checked any sources, so what's the difference in market value

My source says down $200 for 9.4 and up 1k for 9.8!

IMO send to Steve for pre-screen opinion and go from there

That sounds like the smartest thing to do. If he doesn't see a possible 9.8 through the case, then I'll reholder it. Thanks guys!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Stronguy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think you'll get a grade bump. That CBC in the corner box and the wear on the bottom left corner will likely keep you out of 9.8.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
Many ways to mess up a square bound. Just sayin
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
I hate pressing those bigger books. The staples are the main issue.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Never had a problem with square bound. I have done tons of Dell giants and other square bounds. I tell ya based on the minor flaws @Stronguy pointed out, plus any other things that could happen once removed I would stick with the 9.6 as is, buy a 9.8 , then sell the 9.6 to recoup some of the 9.8 cost and be done with it. I mean you have to pay a presser, pay for regrading, and run the risk of something happening to the book once it's out and hands are touching it again.
Post 16 IP   flag post
597868 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?