Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeQuestions

Rai #0 - glossy or matte?2141

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
If Rai #0 comes in two "different" editions - the Glossy variant:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141721530933

...or the "matte" copy, why doesn't CBCS include "Matte variant" on the label like they had done with the "Glossy variant" as shown in the ebay auction above.....in order to differentiate the two types?

Is the non-description on the label, actually the "Matte version"?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
If one was considered the "regular" cover and one the "variant" cover only the variant would get the notation, the lack of notation denotes the regular. I don't know if that is the case here, but a possible explanation.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
That is the case here.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thsnks S!

May I ask, how can you tell the difference?
Post 4 IP   flag post
One is uber glossy. The other is printed on the same paper every other copy of a Valiant comic was printed on.

If you look at the book and wonder if it is glossy or not, it's not the glossy variant. It's obvious when you hold one.
Post 5 IP   flag post
LOL..."uber glossy".....is that like 'U-u-u-uge!....

:o)

Just to alert....CGC identifies both versions on their label. Their preference I guess.

Personally, I think the added info helps with a better identification of the comic - for this one, IMO. Maybe not others, because I also understand that the "regular" issue does not need to be labeled as such because of its commonality.

Thanks again for responding.

Glossy...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rai-Glossy-Cover-Issue-0-Comic-New-Unread-CGC-4-5-1992-Valiant-Comics-/142221218801?hash=item211d0b93f1:g:rXMAAOSwnHZYXHW3

Matte....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rai-0-CGC-GRADED-9-0-first-FULL-appearance-of-Bloodshot-MATTE-version-/302210435234?hash=item465d2548a2:g:9sAAAOSw241Yj3jY
Post 6 IP   flag post
There is no "matte" version. It's a regular version on the same paper all other Valiant books were printed on.

The variant wasn't intended. From what I understand, they were having problems during production with the black inks not laying on the paper properly. Some books had streaking, others had an unclean strike where the black wanted to bleed into the negative areas of the paper.

They stopped production at some point and tried a different cover stock, the glossy paper, to finish out the run in the hopes it would correct the problems they were having.

Coming from a printing career, I can say that is a very likely possibility on how the "glossy variant" came into existence. Things like this are very common during the production process.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Interesting. Okay. "So be it."

May the "FORCE" be with you!

:o)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
To tell the difference of ungraded Rai #0 online look for a strip of the first page being visible on the open right side "glossy". Its cover is a tad smaller. The regular has a more even cover size to interior pages "cant see first page easy". Once you see the two side by side you will see what I'm talking about. Now you can determine future ones being glossy or regular from just pictures online.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Just as an FYI, when I had a bunch I was selling, the market for the glossy "variant" was stronger.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks K! Good hint.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So after reading this thread I hunted down three glossy's using @Kanaloa method. Do you guys think it's worth holding on to them, or should I flip two and keep one?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Glossy 9.8 sell for a little over $200. Glossy 9.6 or Matte 9.8 sell for about the same $75.

The Glossy 9.8 have gone UP about %25 in last year. Glossy 9.6 or any Matte has gone DOWN some.

Therefore, only Glossy 9.8 is worth casing/selling depending on what $ you have in it. 9.6 and Matte are long term keepers only if Bloodshot movie gets made. Value will go up if it is.

Bloodshot was slated for 2018 with Harbinger Wars after. Rumor is though that they have been flipped with Harbinger Wars being first one out if they actually get made at all.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
By the way....there are at least two cover stock versions of ASM #129 (1974)
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaloa
Glossy 9.8 sell for a little over $200. Glossy 9.6 or Matte 9.8 sell for about the same $75.

The Glossy 9.8 have gone UP about %25 in last year. Glossy 9.6 or any Matte has gone DOWN some.

Therefore, only Glossy 9.8 is worth casing/selling depending on what $ you have in it. 9.6 and Matte are long term keepers only if Bloodshot movie gets made. Value will go up if it is.

Bloodshot was slated for 2018 with Harbinger Wars after. Rumor is though that they have been flipped with Harbinger Wars being first one out if they actually get made at all.

Bloodshot 0 is a key book in the Valiant universe, both versions are worth grading in 9.6 & 9.8.

Books spike up when movies are confirmed and tend to fluctuate in FMV.IIRC, the Valiant movie deals were confirmed late 2014-2015...so between a 3-4 year span, rumors and so on will make prices fluctuate in the interim period.

As Steve said in this thread, these sort of printing defects vetween the glossy and regular/matte version of this book are not uncommon.

Over a bit more time, the 2 versions will hold relatively equal value, I'd say.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I think the glossy will overcome the matte version in FMV , just because of the print run is lower......I think only about 15K of the glossy.

This is similar to another Valiant book...
The Visitor vs the Valiant Universe #1 (~15k) and #2 (~13k) editions. The newsstand editions have overcome the direct sales regular issue FMV - due to the print run was also similar in size.

http://www.valiantfan.com/guide
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Bloodshot 0 is a key book in the Valiant universe, both versions are worth grading in 9.6 & 9.8.

Books spike up when movies are confirmed and tend to fluctuate in FMV.IIRC, the Valiant movie deals were confirmed late 2014-2015...so between a 3-4 year span, rumors and so on will make prices fluctuate in the interim period.

As Steve said in this thread, these sort of printing defects vetween the glossy and regular/matte version of this book are not uncommon.

Bloodshot 0 is NOT a key Valiant book. No first appearances and can be picked up raw for a $1. It cost more to case than the comic is worth after casing. Eternal Warrior #4 "fist Bloodshot appearance" or RAI 0 "this threads comic and arguably first Bloodshot appearance" are considered key Bloodshots to have.

My opinion is that Harbinger #1 "1992" at 9.8 is the key Valiant book. Has many First appearances. There are others but for the general collector Harbinger #1 is the one to have. Especially IF the movies ever get made. Some of those first appearance characters in Harbinger #1 could have spin offs such as Faith if movies work. Faith is one of the freshest/best comics of 2016. A fat female superhero like Faith hasn't been done yet in movies. Faith's new solo comic is cool because it doesn't mentions her fatness.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
I think the glossy will overcome the matte version in FMV , just because of the print run is lower......I think only about 15K of the glossy.

This is similar to another Valiant book...
The Visitor vs the Valiant Universe #1 (~15k) and #2 (~13k) editions. The newsstand editions have overcome the direct sales regular issue FMV - due to the print run was also similar in size.

http://www.valiantfan.com/guide

Yes, the glossy will (and arguably should) command a premium.

But I do think that the price differential between the two versions will signifigantly lessen.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Oops..
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bloodshot 0 is NOT a key Valiant book. No first appearances and can be picked up raw for a $1. It cost more to case than the comic is worth after casing. Eternal Warrior #4 "fist Bloodshot appearance" or RAI 0 "this threads comic and arguably first Bloodshot appearance" are considered key Bloodshots to have.

My opinion is that Harbinger #1 "1992" at 9.8 is the key Valiant book. Has many First appearances. There are others but for the general collector Harbinger #1 is the one to have. Especially IF the movies ever get made. Some of those first appearance characters in Harbinger #1 could have spin offs such as Faith if movies work. Faith is one of the freshest/best comics of 2016. A fat female superhero like Faith hasn't been done yet in movies. Faith's new solo comic is cool because it doesn't mentions her fatness.

Huh?

Rai #0 , per CGC and CBCS label notes:

1st Full Appearance Of Bloodshot
1st Appearance & Origin Of The New Rai

Is it as big of a key as Harbringer 1?

No...but it is still a key Valiant book.

Back to your pricing and "investment" advice....price trends on movie related books are not static, especially over a 3-4 year arc from the time a movie announcement is made intil the movie is released.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Huh?

Rai #0 , per CGC and CBCS label notes:

1st Full Appearance Of Bloodshot
1st Appearance & Origin Of The New Rai

Is it as big of a key as Harbringer 1?

No...but it is still a key Valiant book.

Back to your pricing and "investment" advice....price trends on movie related books are not static, especially over a 3-4 year arc from the time a movie announcement is made intil the movie is released.

Correct, but you said Bloodshot 0 which is why I corrected it to RAI 0 and Eternal Warrior 4. Eternal Warrior 4 is considered the first appearance of Bloodshot by most and is the one to get out of the two but RAI 0 is still good to have.
Post 21 IP   flag post
597893 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?