Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Open letter to CBCS.....2140

COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS said they were listening to their customer base when they put out the new label. They said they were listening when they put out the new new label. When they opened a pressing department I don't remember a press release saying we heard you and here is our in house pressing department. But anyway we got one.

The reason I'm starting this thread and maybe if enough people get behind it maybe we can make something happen. CGC has a value teir where you send in a minimum of 15 books pre-1975 and with membership discounts "and I'll even add in that stupid 5.00 invoice fee " It's basically 22.83 per book for a 15 book lot. This has no grade screening and the books get what they get.

It would be great if CBCS could somehow create a submission bracket where ,maybe no grade screening is available and it's a 15 book minimum that could come in at $22.50 to $23.00 a book. Right now it costs $27.00 for me to grade a pre-1975 book. I may be more inclined to submit older books to them and not just moderns if the price points were closer together.

I look at the online auction houses and it looks like most of the people that use them use CGC. Could it be because of the difference it cost from one company to another. All I ask is CBCS takes some time to think about this. If the price was more comparable to the other guys maybe CBCS books would start having a bigger showing at the bigger auction houses.

This thread is not to say how crappy the other company is,that's why they have to offer that price. But I just wander for people who submit pre 1975 books would you submit 15 or more books if the price points started getting better? This is one thing that I have a hard time swallowing is the difference in prices. I'm curious what others think on this.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Totally agree. I have a batch of 15 comics with cgc which I will get within the next 1 or 2 weeks for the same reason. If cbcs offered this pricing I might submit this type of books to them
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I've gone out of my way to find 15 books just for that reason
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
CBCS said they were listening to their customer base when they put out the new label. They said they were listening when they put out the new new label. When they opened a pressing department I don't remember a press release saying we heard you and here is our in house pressing department. But anyway we got one.

The reason I'm starting this thread and maybe if enough people get behind it maybe we can make something happen. CGC has a value teir where you send in a minimum of 15 books pre-1975 and with membership discounts "and I'll even add in that stupid 5.00 invoice fee " It's basically 22.83 per book for a 15 book lot. This has no grade screening and the books get what they get.

It would be great if CBCS could somehow create a submission bracket where ,maybe no grade screening is available and it's a 15 book minimum that could come in at $22.50 to $23.00 a book. Right now it costs $27.00 for me to grade a pre-1975 book. I may be more inclined to submit older books to them and not just moderns if the price points were closer together.

I look at the online auction houses and it looks like most of the people that use them use CGC. Could it be because of the difference it cost from one company to another. All I ask is CBCS takes some time to think about this. If the price was more comparable to the other guys maybe CBCS books would start having a bigger showing at the bigger auction houses.

This thread is not to say how crappy the other company is,that's why they have to offer that price. But I just wander for people who submit pre 1975 books would you submit 15 or more books if the price points started getting better? This is one thing that I have a hard time swallowing is the difference in prices. I'm curious what others think on this.

A valid request.

The brass at CBCS will be having a meeting in a few weeks. I'll be sure I bring this up for discussion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts sweet I have books ready to go
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@SteveRicketts sweet I have boos ready to go

Boos? 😆
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
I second this request!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
A valid request.

The brass at CBCS will be having a meeting in a few weeks. I'll be sure I bring this up for discussion.

A few weeks? I'm wondering outloud here, so please bare with me. How big is this CBCS business? Is it a huge corporation where the board meets once in a blue moon..or in a few weeks? Really?

I would HOPE that the "powers in charge" are located within the same building that the grading goes on, and if need be, they could yell from one end of the building to another and "someone" would hear them...that being said..perhaps- Weekly meetings would be a better way to have the Pulse on what is needed and wanted. The Comic grading business is volatile and changes quite rapidly.

I am aware that certain staff members travel for the Comic cons and I would think they communicate how well the show was or how crappy it was. I am guessing few actual phone calls and more email and txt messages get exchanged.

CBCS , like other grading companies are fighting for each one of our "hard earned pennies", so I hope they pay attention to the most subtle things..like requests for Magazine holders, discounts, registries etc- and the more meetings they have the better off they as a business will be.

Thanks for listening.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I am ok to wait a few weeks if that is what it takes
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
Quote:
A valid request.

A few weeks? I'm wondering outloud here, so please bare with me. How big is this CBCS business? Is it a huge corporation where the board meets once in a blue moon..or in a few weeks? Really?

I would HOPE that the "powers in charge" are located within the same building that the grading goes on, and if need be, they could yell from one end of the building to another and "someone" would hear them...that being said..perhaps- Weekly meetings would be a better way to have the Pulse on what is needed and wanted. The Comic grading business is volatile and changes quite rapidly.

I am aware that certain staff members travel for the Comic cons and I would think they communicate how well the show was or how crappy it was. I am guessing few actual phone calls and more email and txt messages get exchanged.

CBCS , like other grading companies are fighting for each one of our "hard earned pennies", so I hope they pay attention to the most subtle things..like requests for Magazine holders, discounts, registries etc- and the more meetings they have the better off they as a business will be.

Thanks for listening.

That was quite entertaining, and cogent.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector tjr909 private msg quote post Address this user
I would definitely submit lots of 15 books at this price point.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
How about bulk discounts for the Modern books too?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

How many is bulk?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
History Lesson

First, let me say that I am a CBCS fan and think they do a great job grading and encapsulating books. But some things could be done better, and in fact some things used to be done better than they are done today. I also think its good to have competition, since it should in theory make both companies want to keep improving to gain more business (at the other's expense).

When I submitted my first 16 books to CBCS in 2015, there were more grading tiers (and cheaper prices) than there are today. Now the basic tiers (with normal turn-around times) are Modern, Expanded, and Consumer. There used to be other tiers, including an Expanded Modern and an Expanded Consumer, that bridged the gap in prices between Modern and Consumer. Because of those tiers, CBCS was less expensive than CGC for those same books, and that was one of the reasons that I decided to try them.

Then CBCS redesigned their site (and we somehow lost access to the gallery, still not sure why) and they changed their prices and tiers. At that time I did send an e-mail to CBCS (I believe it was to Steve Paulus) asking him why those tiers were eliminated and never got a response (probably the obvious reason, to make more money). By the way, none of the 16 comics I submitted in 2015 were Consumer tier. They all fit into Modern, Expanded Modern, or Expanded Consumer, so I knew that losing those tiers would cost me money on future submissions (my collection includes a decent number of pre-1975 comics). (Note: one of the comics I submitted was bumped up to the Consumer tier after grading because it was valued more than $250 and I was charged the difference.)

There is definitely a noticeable gap with the current prices for the current tiers. You jump from $16/18 to $27/30 from Modern to Expanded, while the difference between Expanded and Consumer is only $3 to $4. Either another tier is needed, or the pricing for Expanded should be closer to the mid-point between Modern and Consumer.

I would also like to add that I have no problem with a 10 to 15-book minimum for submissions to get a better rate. Due to shipping costs, it doesn't make sense for me to send in less than that anyway.

I like the fact that we can ask about things like this on the forums, and get a quick response from CBCS. I am anxiously awaiting their response to this topic, as I am surrounded by numerous piles and boxes of books to submit, and about half of them are SA.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
The difference in price for submitting pre-1975 books is a reason I have been considering using the other guys, but CBCS is my preference. I appreciate the commitment CBCS has shown to considering customer concerns, and am glad to hear the issue will be raised internally.

Also, thanks to @JWKyle for raising the issue.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I would also like to add that I have no problem with a 10 to 15-book minimum for submissions to get a better rate. Due to shipping costs, it doesn't make sense for me to send in less than that anyway.

I'll use this as a possible option when I bring it up.
Whatever the result, I'll report back with an answer.
Post 17 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@poka books, lol.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'd say 10 or 15 would be a decent bulk number.
Post 19 IP   flag post
How about a discount at 15 and another at 30 or more. I usually send in 30 at a time. Whoop whoop.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector SpeedforceKJ private msg quote post Address this user
I'm facing this situation right now as I'm currently on the hunt for Silver age Flash 105-131 and looking to grade the keys in that run. I'd be much more inclined to use CBCS then CGC if the price was cheaper on a bulk submission, I have to take in the consideration as well that bc I'm stationed in England I have to pay the conversion rate to pounds as well.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector fingfangfoom private msg quote post Address this user
There is definitely a lack of CBCS Gold, Silver & Bronze available at auction and dealer sites. I think CBCS should be even bolder with the pre-1975 pricing tier, maybe across a 60 or 90 day period, and create pricing that opens the floodgates of for Gold , Silver & Bronze submissions. Perhaps by summer these tiers will be fully represented in CBCS holders across the dealer circuit and auction houses.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Gotta be mindful looking at auction house showings, considering most of the stock is pre-CBCS existence. Considering both companies' age CBCS should only be showing at 21% [3/(17-3)] without considering the minor variables.

Better pricing would certainly help that along a bit faster though, @JWKyle you've been saying this a while now good call putting it right out front 👍🏻
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Gotta be mindful looking at auction house showings, considering most of the stock is pre-CBCS existence. Considering both companies' age CBCS should only be showing at 21% [3/(17-3)] without considering the minor variables.

Better pricing would certainly help that along a bit faster though, @JWKyle you've been saying this a while now good call putting it right out front 👍🏻
I didn't want to sound like a broken record or that I had any type of agenda , I don't. I was hoping it would grab hold in the VS thread or even a couple of the other times I bought it up. Wait I am a broken record. Anyway it's out there Steve is going to take it up in a meeting and hopefully something will change. I know Darth mentioned moderns and I submit moderns. I already feel CBCS offers more then CGC does with moderns so to ask anymore on moderns is kind of pressing your luck. CGC is $16.20 per modern with a discount no pre screening on anything less then 25 books and only 1 prescreen grade say 9.6 per lot of 25. Oh and that $5.00 invoice fee added in somewhere. We know CBCS is $16.00 a book with membership and pre grading all around .
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts more for the Brass:

also any updates on the Rewards program? My membership is about due, will I lose any of these reward points if I dont renew? is it retroactive? if so, is some one keeping track?

any word on a CBCS registry?

thanks Steve!
Post 25 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

How many is bulk?

A 30 book submission would be a bulk submission for modern books.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
@SteveRicketts more for the Brass:

also any updates on the Rewards program? My membership is about due, will I lose any of these reward points if I dont renew? is it retroactive? if so, is some one keeping track?

I second this, Steve. My membership will be up in another month or so and I was wondering the same.
Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post

Post 29 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts - any update?
Post 30 IP   flag post
598086 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?