Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Question about comics from different Era's2126

Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
I grew collecting comics in the 80's to early 90's (I'm in my 30's now) and stopped collecting when I got into high school I guess mainly I didn't have money for it anymore. Anyways, I started collecting again a few years ago and realized I don't even recognize comics anymore that are being made now. The art style is so different and I guess "too flashy?" for me. I collect comic's from the 40's to early 90's but can't go past that Era of comics because I just can't get into the art style.

My question is for those that mainly are into the comics coming out today. Do you see older comics as ugly or boring? Is there something particular about today's comics you like compared to how you see comics were done a few decades ago? I'm just curious on other peoples thoughts.

(I don't want to come across as bashing today's comics, it's art and to each their own. I can totally understand liking a style of art you grew up with or just prefer.)
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I collect old comics, look at some of my posts, if you can find them not sure if you can search for a user's posts or not.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O posted something a while back about a company going back to newsprint for interior pages. I thought it was a GREAT idea, in terms of both cover price impact and the general feel of a comic.

The art style doesnt bother me, more the medium used being unnecessarily "flashy". Still doesnt stop me from buying and reading them though 😎
Post 3 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I've always prefered detailed art. Frazetta, Williamson, McFarlane and Neil Adams to name a few. I also totally agree with @shrewbeer and @earthshaker01. Theres nothing like the feel and SMELL of an old comic, love it!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13
I grew collecting comics in the 80's to early 90's (I'm in my 30's now) and stopped collecting when I got into high school I guess mainly I didn't have money for it anymore. Anyways, I started collecting again a few years ago and realized I don't even recognize comics anymore that are being made now. The art style is so different and I guess "too flashy?" for me. I collect comic's from the 40's to early 90's but can't go past that Era of comics because I just can't get into the art style.

My question is for those that mainly are into the comics coming out today. Do you see older comics as ugly or boring? Is there something particular about today's comics you like compared to how you see comics were done a few decades ago? I'm just curious on other peoples thoughts.

(I don't want to come across as bashing today's comics, it's art and to each their own. I can totally understand liking a style of art you grew up with or just prefer.)

Comic Book Collecting 101 - (IMO)

If you can't find the below link's artwork appealing or energetic or even crazy-ass good....then I really can't tell you what you are missing in order to get you into what modern artists are putting out there.

*winks*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-1-Del-Otto-Variant-NM-/322381780776?hash=item4b0f739728:g:RxsAAOSwnHZYb4oJ
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
honestly, i dig both new and old but I'm an artist so I'm biased.

oh that old comic book smell though... bring back newsprint! lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Even in moderns coming out right now there's a great degree of varying art styles. All modern books don't look the same. Rule of thumb, collect and read what makes you happy. Everyone has different tastes and there's stuff out there for everyone.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@zosorocks...I love those books..just sent them to Trinity for a Dell'otto signing. One of my favorite set of covers
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Old books or new, most of them have artistic value at least to me. But, like everyone says, collect what it is you like! I'm a huge venom guy and I would prefer some MacFarlane ASM to the new Del'Otto variants, but that's just personal preference! Not to say the Del'Otto variants aren't cool, they're just not my style.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
@enaz13 I don't normally buy modern books, but I did grab a few at 96% off last year when Hastings went out of business.
I prefer to collect older stuff, but I do enjoy art.
I don't like most of what's out there (J Scott Campbell, Scottie Young, etc.), but there are some really good artists turning out some nice work. I only got these for the cover art, I don't read comics anymore.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I love the style of many artists today like Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Jae Lee, the late Michael Turner, but one also must be honest and admit that none of them draw anatomically correct characters. Jim Lee said it best, an artist develops a style by making a mistake and repeating it.

Older comics may be bland in comparison, but they looked like slightly better than average people. I can appreciate that.

I just happen to prefer that artier side of it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think awesome art is unique to any era:

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I miss the days when a comic front To back was a good 1/2 hour or more read...now I breeze through an issue in 10 minutes or less...not really with the $4 cover price...so I've recently gone back to collecting the 70s - early 90s. Once in a blue moon I'll grab a modern.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I TOTALLY get what the original poster is talking about!! I got out of collecting comics for a few years when my kids were young and priorities were different in my life. But since coming back, I just can't get into the mainstream superhero comics anymore. I've tried numerous titles and different publishers, but somethings changed. Whether it is me, the story telling or the art, I'm not sure.

Now, having said that, I HAVE found some indie titles that I enjoy. Usually they are a limited series and not superhero based. Stuff like Wytches, Roman Ritual and Tithe. Good stories and good art make for an enjoyable comic.

And variants? I usually don't care for them, especially when one cover is 4 to 5 times (or more) than a regular cover. But then one will come along, like the Comic Mint Iron Fist coming out, and I'm floored!! I have a budget so I can't get everything that catches my eye, but there are some great artists out there right now putting out some tremendous pieces!!

But as far as collecting, I mostly stick to pre 1992. I'm still not a big DC guy, mostly Marvel when it comes to superheroes. But the more I dig into older (1940's to 1970's) comics, the more I fall for them, especially non superhero comics: horror, sci-fi, fantasy, funny animals, "kiddie" titles, war, etc.

I've also recently found a love for foreign comics. It's so cool to find a favorite comic or character that is published in another country. Sometimes the covers are the same, sometimes the colors are changed and sometimes the covers come from an interior panel or is original art done in that country!! Sometimes there will be a DC story and a Marvel story in the same comic!! It's just another cool avenue of collecting comics. I have one that I will gladly show off in 6-8 months from now - after it is signed, pressed and slabbed. Then you'll see what I mean.

But all in all, there is no right or wrong way on what to collect and I think we all can agree on that. We may disagree on the how to collect, or store, etc, but essentially, to each their own when it comes to eras and genres.

Just my long winded two cents.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I TOTALLY get what the original poster is talking about!! I got out of collecting comics for a few years when my kids were young and priorities were different in my life. But since coming back, I just can't get into the mainstream superhero comics anymore. I've tried numerous titles and different publishers, but somethings changed. Whether it is me, the story telling or the art, I'm not sure.

Now, having said that, I HAVE found some indie titles that I enjoy. Usually they are a limited series and not superhero based. Stuff like Wytches, Roman Ritual and Tithe. Good stories and good art make for an enjoyable comic.

And variants? I usually don't care for them, especially when one cover is 4 to 5 times (or more) than a regular cover. But then one will come along, like the Comic Mint Iron Fist coming out, and I'm floored!! I have a budget so I can't get everything that catches my eye, but there are some great artists out there right now putting out some tremendous pieces!!

But as far as collecting, I mostly stick to pre 1992. I'm still not a big DC guy, mostly Marvel when it comes to superheroes. But the more I dig into older (1940's to 1970's) comics, the more I fall for them, especially non superhero comics: horror, sci-fi, fantasy, funny animals, "kiddie" titles, war, etc.

I've also recently found a love for foreign comics. It's so cool to find a favorite comic or character that is published in another country. Sometimes the covers are the same, sometimes the colors are changed and sometimes the covers come from an interior panel or is original art done in that country!! Sometimes there will be a DC story and a Marvel story in the same comic!! It's just another cool avenue of collecting comics. I have one that I will gladly show off in 6-8 months from now - after it is signed, pressed and slabbed. Then you'll see what I mean.

But all in all, there is no right or wrong way on what to collect and I think we all can agree on that. We may disagree on the how to collect, or store, etc, but essentially, to each their own when it comes to eras and genres.

Just my long winded two cents.

I agree about the non-superhero stuff. Two of my favorite comics are DMZ by Brian Wood and Transmetropolitan. 100 Bullets was a good book, as was the Vinyl Underground.

I give DC a lot of credit for giving books that would be stuck on small indie labels and never really given a chance at mass market for doing so with their Vertigo line.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Are their any comics today anyone can suggest that "maybe" considered having an "old school" art style?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector fourpaws private msg quote post Address this user
I've got to agree as well. I stopped collecting in the 80s and re-entered in 2007. The only superhero comic I continued with was Amazing Spider-Man, though it was bizarre trying to get back into it again. So much had been missed in the intervening years. The others I was able to get into were some of the "First Class" and "Untold Tales" books. Those that took the original 60s characters and told stories that fit in between the first issues. I think it was all about familiarity and not about artistic style. For instance, I love painted covers and Bill Sienkiewicz' stylistic work, as well as the detailed coloring that goes into today's comics.

But I'll always love the slightly primitive style of the Silver and Bronze age books.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I like comics from all eras but I have always been a modern collector primarily. The main reason is that they deal with "current" and relatable topics/time. I have a much harder time relating to the material prior to about 1968. That's not to say I don't enjoy or respect earlier books I just don't enjoy them quite as much. I also like that the art can tell the story as much as the script can. Some older material was far too text heavy and some of the earlier script basically treated the reader like they were visually impaired. (I can damn well see that Superman is swooping in on the bad guys.)

Now do I think the new stuff is better or that everyone will/should enjoy it? Not at all sometimes folks just can't get into the eventual changes that come about. Lots of people like the text heavy standard four to six panel layouts and they never got into the changes that occurred through the 90's. Granted it took some time for the writing to get up to snuff but that got fixed through the latter 90's and early 00's

I certainly won't bash anyone for not getting into the modern stuff as long as they don't go bashing the new stuff. Especially if they don't even give it a fair shot (since there are so many great options out there from lots of publishers). It really irks me how much new stuff gets bashed. Considering that has been the case for the entire 38 years I have been collecting. When I started in 1979 it was the late 60's and early 70's that was trash, then the 80's, then the 90's, and so on. I don't know when people will realize that probably 90% of what is released in any decade will be considered drek by a majority of people. There are so few true keys and impact stories every decade. The books prior to about 1965 just have the advantage of having massive attrition rates that the nostalgia really can build up in insane ways.

Finally, whether one likes the new stuff or not they should be happy that there is still a robust new floppy market out there. It helps all eras of comics out. We should even be happy for the crazy-ass speculator market out there. It has really pushed the prices of all sorts of books that no one ever used to pay any attention to up and up in price.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Are their any comics today anyone can suggest that "maybe" considered having an "old school" art style?
To me, the Daredevil run by Mark Waid/Chris Samnee had a strong 60's vibe.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity
Quote:
To me, the Daredevil run by Mark Waid/Chris Samnee had a strong 60's vibe.

I'll check that out, thanks!
Post 20 IP   flag post
598013 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?