Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Stan Lee "Bubble"?2113

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@zosocane ya I'm torn. I've seen some 4.5 X-men #1 with Stan Lee Sigs go for $5k+. Without the signature maybe around $3k is what I can get. Trying to maximize selling price. If I was gonna keep it I would never get it signed.

Regarding the case The newton rings covered 75% of the front cover. I already cracked it out. I want CBCS' case anyways.

I got till March 2nd to decide I guess. Thanks for the input.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
That's a beautiful book, I wish I had the cash, I'd take it right now. Let me know if you're looking for anything to trade or are open to time payments!

As for signing, I wouldn't do it and I'm a big time signature guy. You run the risk of a blunt sharpie, sloppy signature, and/or lousy placement.

On a loosely related note, I think it was Harlan Ellison (I may have the wrong person here) that teased Ray Bradbury that he had signed so many books that his unsigned copies would be far more valuable in the future.
Post 102 IP   flag post
@MedicAR I see your point (I don't care much for signed comics in my personal collection) but can you agree with me about the selling price? Right now in this "Stan Lee bubble" I can sell it for $1,000-$1,500 more signed.
Post 103 IP   flag post
In looking at the completed listings on eBay, I'm not seeing a big jump in price for the signed books. In my opinion, the value here is the actual book. There is a clique of collectors that will absolutely pay more but there is a fair sized gamble involved. The first part being in the signature itself and its quality. The second part is that a member of that clique will be looking for this particular book at the same time you're selling and have the means to take it off of your hands.

As I'm so fond of saying, it's your book, do what you like!
Post 104 IP   flag post
@MedicAR Ya you make great points. I would probably sell it at Comiclink during one of their featured auctions. I look at comics like stocks. Stan Lee's "Stock" is high right now. Events in the future can cause that stock to go up or down. Example: I had some Steve Dillon signed books. After he suddenly passed away (RIP) their value doubled. Stan Lee being 94 years old. He may retire very soon. He already said he will no longer do East Coast shows. Next year he could stop all together.

I'm thinking if I take this chance to get it signed now and hold it for the next year or so... hard to tell its always a gamble.
Post 105 IP   flag post

Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane

If your X1 is a lower-grade (say 3.5) or lower book, yes, get it signed. 4.0 to 4.5, coin-flip. 5.0 or higher? No.

What is the logic around this? I'm not challenging you, I'm legitimately asking your opinion on this comment.

Truly vintage keys such as these in mid grade and up shouldn't be defaced with a signature. Lower grade, doesn't bother me as the signature makes the copy more attractive. That's my opinion.

Look at the 4.5 copy posted on this page. Gorgeous. A signature would add nothing to it and in my opinion detract from it.
Post 106 IP   flag post
In the interest of full disclosure, when I'm asked about comic investing, I always tell people to take a long hard look at what I'm buying and avoid those at all costs! I suck at picking trends.

In doing a search just now, "CGC SS" brings up 13,502 results on eBay. Searching "CGC SS Stan Lee" I get 3,164 items. Stan Lee makes up 23.4% of CGC signed books. I didn't use CBCS due to the smaller amount of time CBCS has been available to get Stan Lee certified on. Stan hovers between 20% and 30% of these searches on any given day, so clearly there is a healthy market for his signature. I personally wouldn't do it, but as I said it's your book so it's your choice.
Post 107 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The thought of that book being signed makes me sad. That is all I'll say about that.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Stan Lee's signature has been good for me on Ebay. I've been lucky, and almost all of mine have sold for astronomical prices. I have also kept quite a few in my personal stash for a rainy day someday. Even an ASM 300 lol.

For sure. I have a hard time believing his signatures on spiderman keys will be worth less after he passes away. However I buy those lee signed keys already yellow slabbed half his sigs look terrible.
Post 109 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Soon after they will be grading his signature based on quality and if he was tired or not lol
Post 110 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like after years of Stan making a bundle on the backs of greatness, and having contributed much himself also, collectors will be trying to make bundles on the top of his coffin. Kinda sad really.
I don't think I'd be betting the house that money is to be made. He has signed enough for everyone that wants one to have one. It's like any collectible, if you can go online and find a bunch (20-50) to choose from at any time, the market is saturated and I believe a correction will occur.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@Jeremy_K Information I learned at RICC: Stan also signs with his OTHER hand when he gets tires, so that explains his sloppy sigs..(not sure, I think he is a lefty and the messy one is the right).
Post 112 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, confirmed. I've seen it with my own eyes. He signs with his left hand I think predominantly. In the afternoon, after his first break, he signs with his right hand when he's tired. You can see this in my Stan signatures. All the Rose City comicon signatures were done after 1pm with his other hand. They are all sloppy and slanted. The signatures I had done at Emerald City comicon were done in the morning, within 30 minutes at the front of the line...and they are flawless.

Sigh.
Post 113 IP   flag post
So.. I decided to have Stan sign my X-men #1 at ECC Next week. I made a window at the top (The picture is an example). The picture is a perfect example of how I would like him to sign it in the white space below the title, but I've been told he is so blind now that is not possible. I don't want him to sign across the action scene at the bottom, so if he signs across the "X-Men" title I'm fine with that. I've seen other X-men #1 that he signed across Magneto or Iceman, it looks horrible. After I get it back from CBCS I'll probably hold it for awhile and see what the market does. Will post pics when I get it back. Thanks for your input!

Post 114 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa Want to trade?

Post 115 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
@KingNampa Want to trade?

Cool. You should resubmit that to CBCS to get the Jack Kirby Verified. But no thanks, I'll keep my original . Nice reprint though.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
The comments above make me think of Gene Simmons of KISS. Musically, not the greatest, but he sure knows how to market the band and himself. If you talked to him, I bet he would convince you that they are the greatest band of all time. He is the king of self promotion, right above Stan Lee. Lol.

Gene Simmons could talk to me from now until Jesus comes and he'll NEVER convince me that KISS is the greatest band of all time. Great gimmick and great marketers, but as musicians they SUCK!

Post 117 IP   flag post

Post 118 IP   flag post
You like many others dismiss KISS as a band lacking talent, which i've always found amusing. They were indeed talented. The BEST? I don't know how one even quantifies such a claim, but perhaps they were not "the best" whatever that vague statement means to a general audience.

Here are a few things that are facts: Music almost everyone knows? yep! A live act rivaled by many? Impossible! Lasting and hard working performers? Second to no one. Unique and remembered for perpetuity? Bet your arse. Marketing of their brand/product equaled by no one? Not even a competition. Haters gonna hate. Thats what haters do. KISS is one of the great rock bands of ALL-TIME...that fact is indisputable!
Post 119 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@VillageIdiot - got KISS? They even put their blood in the ink for this magazine!

Post 120 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@VillageIdiot - got KISS? They even put their blood in the ink for this magazine!

Love that book. Remember buying it when I was 8
Post 121 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user

Post 122 IP   flag post
Collector Agent007 private msg quote post Address this user
I like Stan Lee SS on books, if it doesn't deface the cover or ruin the art work. Some signatures look great, others look sloppy. I pay a premium for his SS on books I want.
My 1st post.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Stan lee Cancels Appearance

Wow just heard Stan Lee had to cancel his appearances including the upcoming Big Apple Comic Con. Glad I got his signature at ECCC, might be the last show he does.

Wishing he gets well soon.
Post 124 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Agent007

WELCOME
Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Ok.... so Anyone remember when NYCC was Stan's "LAST" East coast convention..... ever?? Because i remember all the hype that he was no longer doing east coast cons & possible retirement, than like 2 or 3 weeks laster he was at Rhode Island con, etc. all over the east coast.... AGAIN!
Post 126 IP   flag post
They are also saying because Big Apple Comic con is tomorrow, they aren't allowing refunds for entry tickets or Stan Lee Signatures. They will get credit to get something already pre-signed at the Stan lee booth.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
They are also saying because Big Apple Comic con is tomorrow, they aren't allowing refunds for entry tickets or Stan Lee Signatures. They will get credit to get something already pre-signed at the Stan lee booth.

This can only turn out poorly.
Post 128 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
This was just posted on their Facebook page:

We were all as heartbroken as you were that Stan Lee had to cancel. We at Big Apple are fanboys as well.
For those of you who ordered Stan Lee Autograph Tickets, or Swag Bags, refunds will be going out through TicketLeap automatically.
For those who ordered Stan Lee Photo Op Tickets, refunds will be going out through Froggy's Photos automatically.
You don't have to do anything, they will be processed and refunded behind the scenes. Please be aware that this process can take up to 5 business days. If you haven't received your refund by Friday the 17th, please contact us through the contact page on the Big Apple website and we will expedite it.
Thank you for your patience! And let's all send our love and warm wishes to a speedy recovery for Stan Lee! Excelsior!!
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicAR
In the interest of full disclosure, when I'm asked about comic investing, I always tell people to take a long hard look at what I'm buying and avoid those at all costs! I suck at picking trends.

In doing a search just now, "CGC SS" brings up 13,502 results on eBay. Searching "CGC SS Stan Lee" I get 3,164 items. Stan Lee makes up 23.4% of CGC signed books. I didn't use CBCS due to the smaller amount of time CBCS has been available to get Stan Lee certified on. Stan hovers between 20% and 30% of these searches on any given day, so clearly there is a healthy market for his signature. I personally wouldn't do it, but as I said it's your book so it's your choice.

Keep in mind that the numbers you got could be way off if many of the 13,502 were signed by Lee. FWIW
Post 130 IP   flag post
601251 189 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.