Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Stan Lee "Bubble"?2113

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@docstrange Ya but that has "Stan Lee Story" it makes sense. But also if you read that article that I originally linked, he didn't actually make the story. The artists did it on the fly and he just put his name to it. I'm cool with him signing books that he actually "had a part" in making. What part of the story did Stan Lee write for the Detective Comics #27 he signed? lol
Post 76 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Some I kept for my personal stash:

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
The other night an Avengers SS 9.2 signed by Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee with a Todd McFarlane Captain America OA sketch sold for $ 250.00 on eBay.

I thought it would have gone for a lot more than it did. Anyone have an idea why it went for that price?

eBay item number: 322409171492
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Makes sense to me. Av#233 $50 book ($16 if raw) without signatures. It was a pretty decent quick-sketch though. Of course Stan ran his signature right into the Captain's head

On this book in particular, I think I would have valued it more had Stan's signature not been there at all. In my eyes anyways, it doesn't really visually go well with Todd's work on it.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Captain_Aspirin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Makes sense to me. Av#233 $50 book ($16 if raw) without signatures. It was a pretty decent quick-sketch though. Of course Stan ran his signature right into the Captain's head

On this book in particular, I think I would have valued it more had Stan's signature not been there at all. In my eyes anyways, it doesn't really visually go well with Todd's work on it.

According to the label Todd drew Cap's head through Stan's signature...odd.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Aspirin

Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Aspirin

Nice catch on the detail, I completely overlooked the dates. Looking at the zoom brings that into question for sure lol, it definitely looks like Stan was after

Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector Captain_Aspirin private msg quote post Address this user
It does. Label mistakes happen...but they really shouldn't happen on yellow labels. Who pays for Todd to sketch and then hands it to Stan without protecting that art? Crazy
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
Signed ASM 50 is probably one of my favorites
Post 84 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user

Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector MedicAR private msg quote post Address this user
All right, without getting too deep into the whole "Stan sucks, Kirby rules" argument, I will point out, as I always do, that none of the parties involved (Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, or Steve Ditko) enjoyed the same level of success that they had during the early Marvel years. There was a chemistry there that allowed the sum to be greater than its parts. It doesn't excuse Stan's embellishment through the years, as I would like to see him give more credit to those that he worked with but I will never believe that any one of them was more responsible for the success of Marvel than the others. As editor, Mr. Lee had more responsibilities than just writing and that may lead to his claims becoming exaggerated, rightly or wrongly.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

As for the bubble, yes, the bubble isn't just there, it's Galactus-like in its proportions and appetite. When I got into the certified signature area of collecting, Stan Lee was coveted and unusual, if not outright rare. I was thrilled to have one when I got my first. Keeping that in mind, that may be why so many people not only pay for him to sign books he had nothing to do with (New Mutants 98) but are proud of having them. To them he is Marvel and it's a big deal. For my money, it needs to be something he has a much more direct connection to in order for me to spend the money. I'm not a big fan of having anyone sign silver or golden age books but I have no problem having anyone sign a reprint like the Marvel Milestones or DC Millennium Editions. I also like having books with Stan actually on/in them signed by him. The Avengers above is a good example as well as Skottie Young's ASM #9 with Stan reading to the kids.

Love them or hate them, Stan Lee and Neal Adams are the last two titans of the early days of comics still standing and both will be sorely missed when they are gone. Personally, I am taking my young son to meet Stan Lee in Dallas next month. He first learned of Stan in the Lego Marvel video games where Stan is an actual playable character. He flipped out when I showed him my pictures of Stan and I together so this will likely be his only chance to meet Stan. I've got a couple of books to get signed to close in on finishing my Milestones collection, too.

I think as time goes on, any original or reprint key books that Stan Lee worked on will be solid investments. All of the Wolverine, Deadpool, X-23, and even Batman (eye roll) will be second tier at best. I thought the joke on Big Bang Theory about having Stan Lee sign a Batman comic, because it would be the only one, was a funny, albeit throwaway, joke. I'm shocked at how many people have actually done it. It's just dumb in my opinion.

But then, that's collecting. To each his own!
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
The other night an Avengers SS 9.2 signed by Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee with a Todd McFarlane Captain America OA sketch sold for $ 250.00 on eBay.

I thought it would have gone for a lot more than it did. Anyone have an idea why it went for that price?

eBay item number: 322409171492

HOW DID I MISS THIS???

Stan's signature is superfluous but I missed a McFarlane Cap sketch!
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I was looking at the cost of the signature, getting them witnessed, shipping, and slabbing fees. Seemed that it was almost sold at cost. I would have thought that a McFarlane sketch would have added more value. Was I wrong in that thought process?
Post 88 IP   flag post
Sounds like you may have been correct, @MedicAR sure seems to be willing to pay more.

Personally I didnt like the appearance of the signatures but thats just me.

If Todd and Stan are business-savvy they will charge at or just above market value for their signature. Looks like they are suceeding 🍺
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

I was looking at the cost of the signature, getting them witnessed, shipping, and slabbing fees. Seemed that it was almost sold at cost. I would have thought that a McFarlane sketch would have added more value. Was I wrong in that thought process?

No, you're not wrong at all. They broke even if they were lucky.

McFarlane sketches are rarer than hen teeth. That it was Cap, I'm Cap fan/collector, was a bonus. I might have gone as high as $400 for the McFarlane sketch and sig alone. I would be fine with Spawn or Spidey as he is far more closely associated with them but Cap would fit in my collection.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Sounds like you may have been correct, @MedicAR sure seems to be willing to pay more.

Personally I didnt like the appearance of the signatures but thats just me.

If Todd and Stan are business-savvy they will charge at or just above market value for their signature. Looks like they are suceeding 🍺

The signatures look good from an authenticity stand point. For the aesthetic value, that's more subjective. Stan's is cleaner than many I see on eBay now. With Stan, you have to watch him as he will run a Sharpie completely blunt and keep going. It's also best to be at the front of the line as his signature deteriorates as he keeps going.
Post 91 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think the eBay seller assumed that it would sell itself and failed to proactively market it. If you don't go out and find your interested customers then the only bidders are the folks who stumble upon it by accident. Do you want to break even? Because that's how you break even.
Post 92 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
I think the eBay seller assumed that it would sell itself and failed to proactively market it. If you don't go out and find your interested customers then the only bidders are the folks who stumble upon it by accident. Do you want to break even? Because that's how you break even.

Quoted for truth and greatness
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector HOGLEG private msg quote post Address this user
His sig has become WAY too common. I have two books signed by him, but wont ever buy another. It's too much. I wonder how many books are currently for sale on ebay with his sig on them?
Post 94 IP   flag post
I'm thinking of getting my X-men #1 (1963) Signed by Stan lee at Emerald CC. What do you all think? I'm planning to sell it so if his signature will significantly bump the value why not.

I realize there is a "bubble" so I wouldn't keep it for much longer, would try to sell ASAP.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I'm thinking of getting my X-men #1 (1963) Signed by Stan lee at Emerald CC. What do you all think? I'm planning to sell it so if his signature will significantly bump the value why not.

I realize there is a "bubble" so I wouldn't keep it for much longer, would try to sell ASAP.

Yes. Absolutely.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If your X1 is a lower-grade (say 3.5) or lower book, yes, get it signed. 4.0 to 4.5, coin-flip. 5.0 or higher? No.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Quote:

If your X1 is a lower-grade (say 3.5) or lower book, yes, get it signed. 4.0 to 4.5, coin-flip. 5.0 or higher? No.

It's 4.5. Its got major newton rings right now so I wanted to regrade at CBCS anyways. What do you think?
Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's 4.5. Its got major newton rings right now so I wanted to regrade at CBCS anyways. What do you think?

Bro, that is a gorgeous 4.5 with rich colors. More like a 5.5. Do NOT get it signed. Love that copy! You know that CGC will reslab that book for you at no cost because of the rings, right?
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:

What is the logic around this? I'm not challenging you, I'm legitimately asking your opinion on this comment.
Post 100 IP   flag post
@zosocane ya I'm torn. I've seen some 4.5 X-men #1 with Stan Lee Sigs go for $5k+. Without the signature maybe around $3k is what I can get. Trying to maximize selling price. If I was gonna keep it I would never get it signed.

Regarding the case The newton rings covered 75% of the front cover. I already cracked it out. I want CBCS' case anyways.

I got till March 2nd to decide I guess. Thanks for the input.
Post 101 IP   flag post
That's a beautiful book, I wish I had the cash, I'd take it right now. Let me know if you're looking for anything to trade or are open to time payments!

As for signing, I wouldn't do it and I'm a big time signature guy. You run the risk of a blunt sharpie, sloppy signature, and/or lousy placement.

On a loosely related note, I think it was Harlan Ellison (I may have the wrong person here) that teased Ray Bradbury that he had signed so many books that his unsigned copies would be far more valuable in the future.
Post 102 IP   flag post
@MedicAR I see your point (I don't care much for signed comics in my personal collection) but can you agree with me about the selling price? Right now in this "Stan Lee bubble" I can sell it for $1,000-$1,500 more signed.
Post 103 IP   flag post
In looking at the completed listings on eBay, I'm not seeing a big jump in price for the signed books. In my opinion, the value here is the actual book. There is a clique of collectors that will absolutely pay more but there is a fair sized gamble involved. The first part being in the signature itself and its quality. The second part is that a member of that clique will be looking for this particular book at the same time you're selling and have the means to take it off of your hands.

As I'm so fond of saying, it's your book, do what you like!
Post 104 IP   flag post
@MedicAR Ya you make great points. I would probably sell it at Comiclink during one of their featured auctions. I look at comics like stocks. Stan Lee's "Stock" is high right now. Events in the future can cause that stock to go up or down. Example: I had some Steve Dillon signed books. After he suddenly passed away (RIP) their value doubled. Stan Lee being 94 years old. He may retire very soon. He already said he will no longer do East Coast shows. Next year he could stop all together.

I'm thinking if I take this chance to get it signed now and hold it for the next year or so... hard to tell its always a gamble.
Post 105 IP   flag post
600777 189 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.