Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Stan Lee "Bubble"?2113

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@shrewbeer You are going to cut a window into the slab? With the book inside? Please video this amazing show for us.

haha yes I'm gonna take a wheel grinder to it with the book inside

No really, I would crack it, cut it, tape the edges of the window and put the book back in taped closed with a mylar flap over said hole. He can mangle on that all he wants and wont degrade the book.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer

Post 52 IP   flag post

In all seriousness though, @Jesse_O is correct. He is the Elvis of our world and will be missed when he's gone. Yes, he's overloading us with himself at shows, but we will miss that when he is no longer with us. I mean, he is Stan freakin' Lee!
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector D_Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
@shrewbeer You are going to cut a window into the slab? With the book inside? Please video this amazing show for us.

haha yes I'm gonna take a wheel grinder to it with the book inside

No really, I would crack it, cut it, tape the edges of the window and put the book back in taped closed with a mylar flap over said hole. He can mangle on that all he wants and wont degrade the book.

I cracked my AF15 and ASM1 that were restored for Stan to sign at Planet ComiCon in KC last May. Those things were triple boarded, sealed in a window cut 2.0 mylar. Thankfully, they were not "Stan-handled" and came back with consistent grading.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I would suggest just getting some 4mil Mylar bags and fullbacks to make your window bags. 4mil has very sturdy edges when used with fullbacks.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I do have some of those thick MyLites. Normally I would agree, but not on this particular book. I'd be out several hundred were it to drop a half point, so would be happy to spend the time cutting the cbcs slab window(added bonus of cbcs crew seeing the old slab/grade for old notes as well in hopes of continuity for grading).
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Black sharpie on slick cover stock will "bleed" over time ruining the comic book paper integrity.

This sig craze with a "witness" etc is simply another slabbing marketing tactic ploy which has so far been succeeding in hoodwinking thousands of lost souls seeking to validate their funny book collecting experience.

Stan Lee sigs number now in the hundreds of thousands which translates in to how easy do you find it to be selling Superman #75 which saw 7.5 million permutations?

Post 57 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer That project would be a great application for one of those Comic Skin slabs that you can open and close.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer That project would be a great application for one of those Comic Skin slabs that you can open and close.

🤔 Now you're talking, thats a great idea. re-useable as well
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Comicdey private msg quote post Address this user
Stan's a stud. Been a stud for 50+ years.

I love my signed books old school inside on the margin.

I don't mind a clean well placed signature on a book cover.

I truly dislike many of his Sigs that deface cover art.

Books I'd have otherwise considered are no longer wanted by me with a bad or sloppy signature placement.

Same goes for any signed book👊
Post 60 IP   flag post
I do think the current flipper market is getting a little too carried away with signatures in general, not just with Stan.

There's been times where I'm trying to find something in a blue label and have to wade through a sea of yellow labels with inflated price tags.

Supply and demand. These folks keep flooding the market with yellow labels and we could get to a point where they will cause blue labels to be more valuable because you simply can't find them.
Post 61 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I do think the current flipper market is getting a little too carried away with signatures in general, not just with Stan.

There's been times where I'm trying to find something in a blue label and have to wade through a sea of yellow labels with inflated price tags.

Supply and demand. These folks keep flooding the market with yellow labels and we could get to a point where they will cause blue labels to be more valuable because you simply can't find them.

Recent sales data would suggest otherwise.
Post 62 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I would not hold my breath if I were you.
Post 63 IP   flag post

Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Ladies and Gents the bubble has now expanded onto DC reprints. Behold this $10 comic sold for $150.

Post 65 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I think I would rather have a Ditko signed book.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Ladies and Gents the bubble has now expanded onto DC reprints. Behold this $10 comic sold for $150.

Omfg 😔
Post 67 IP   flag post
I do believe a TEC 27 reprint signed by Stan Lee was one of the Seven Seals of the apocalypse.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

So would I but that doesn't mean I am turning down the books signed by Stan Lee.

Just because someone would rather have a trip to Hawaii does not mean they wouldn't enjoy packing up the car and heading to the Jersey shore on a sunny day.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

So would I but that doesn't mean I am turning down the books signed by Stan Lee.

Just because someone would rather have a trip to Hawaii does not mean they wouldn't enjoy packing up the car and heading to the Jersey shore on a sunny day.

If Stan actually worked on the book, sure. But just because something like Stan's Soapbox appears in some 90s Marvel book that he signed feels like a stretch to me.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I think I'm probably the exception but I prefer books without signatures (I have some but they're not the focus of what I collect). I have to admit though that I do like getting sketches (with signatures) done on blank covers. I have 4 or 5 Stan Lee autographs that I got years ago when his signatures were clear and he wasn't charging.
Post 71 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Post 72 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
If I get a signed book I like the splash page to be signed
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
P.T.Barnum
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
sure Stan has signed a lot of stuff but on some books its priceless
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@docstrange Ya but that has "Stan Lee Story" it makes sense. But also if you read that article that I originally linked, he didn't actually make the story. The artists did it on the fly and he just put his name to it. I'm cool with him signing books that he actually "had a part" in making. What part of the story did Stan Lee write for the Detective Comics #27 he signed? lol
Post 76 IP   flag post
Some I kept for my personal stash:

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
The other night an Avengers SS 9.2 signed by Todd McFarlane and Stan Lee with a Todd McFarlane Captain America OA sketch sold for $ 250.00 on eBay.

I thought it would have gone for a lot more than it did. Anyone have an idea why it went for that price?

eBay item number: 322409171492
Post 78 IP   flag post
Makes sense to me. Av#233 $50 book ($16 if raw) without signatures. It was a pretty decent quick-sketch though. Of course Stan ran his signature right into the Captain's head

On this book in particular, I think I would have valued it more had Stan's signature not been there at all. In my eyes anyways, it doesn't really visually go well with Todd's work on it.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Captain_Aspirin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Makes sense to me. Av#233 $50 book ($16 if raw) without signatures. It was a pretty decent quick-sketch though. Of course Stan ran his signature right into the Captain's head

On this book in particular, I think I would have valued it more had Stan's signature not been there at all. In my eyes anyways, it doesn't really visually go well with Todd's work on it.

According to the label Todd drew Cap's head through Stan's signature...odd.
Post 80 IP   flag post
600739 189 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.