Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsSignatures

Stan Lee "Bubble"?2113

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Hear me out on this one please.

What is up with Stan Lee Signed Comics & stuff??

Are we in an economic bubble of Stan Lee signed merchandise? And if yes, when is it going to burst?

Stan Lee literally signs thousands upon thousands of books and merchandise and 99% of it is not even related to him. It might be a Marvel Comic he signs but he had no hand in its creation. I've even seen signed DC comics.

Case in Point (pulled off ebay) Deadpool #45, signed by Stan Lee. Selling for $250. Unsigned versions have sold for $2.25

People get this stuff signed by him (for a fee around $100) then jack up the price 3x even 8x that. You can find hundreds of examples of this on ebay right this moment.

Even the characters that everyone thinks he has created like Spider-man, Fantastic Four, etc. It was actually Ditko, Kirby and other artists (which he never credited). I reference this article but there are several others written.
It's Stan Lee's Universe

Help me understand please?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Stans signature probably won't be worth crap by the time he pass. He has signed to many. I know i have some and mine is 20yrs plus he signs any thing. He charges $120 now.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
There's a complete bubble around this. It will burst, the question now is when will it burst?

That's a hard question to answer.

I do believe that there are two sets of Stan Lee items in the market. The first set is the silver and bronze age books that bare his name as artist or writer, which are good investments.

But I do see the bubble on the modern stuff that he had no role in creating.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
To understand the Stan Lee phenomenon, just look at Elvis Presley. Yes, the King of Rock and Roll!! Elvis sang and played mostly guitar. He wrote some songs, but one of his biggest hits "Blue Suede Shoes", was a cover. He had a band that only the hard core Elvis fans can name off. He appeared in movies. But what made Elvis "The King"?? His persona. His charisma. Plus good timing and a bit of luck.

Stan Lee is the Elvis of all of geekdom and especially among comic book fans. He IS comic books. Right, wrong, whatever. It is what it is. He is a master at self promotion. Personally, I think we need a Stan Lee or an Elvis to come along once in a while. They inspire people.

As to placing a value on what he signs and the legitimacy of it all, only time will tell.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
You think his signed stuff is expensive now, wait until he retires from the convention scene.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector mora1618 private msg quote post Address this user
💯% this bouble also affect conventions and everything related to comics Max Anderson Stan Manager create a Monopoly situation arround Stan. I talk to many show runners and artists many people are sick about the hole thing. In the future the only thing that you could do in for free in an convention is going to the Bathroom. For me besides how dangerous this situation is for comics, is complete unfair, people see him as the only responsable for creating must the silver age Marvel characters and stories; very few understand how the bull pen works under day to day basis and for me is un fair the he gets all the artistic credit must of the time. In the other hand in order to be fair,he promote comics like nobody else, he push deals in publication, cartoons, conventions, videogames, movies and basically all kind of media. He's not the Father of comics but he's a very close relative. Sooner or later all this Stan mania is going to stop.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa I dont think people are actually paying those prices on ebay (if they are, holy hell 😣), Id be interested to see actual sales though.

Im sure there will be a 9month price spike when he dies, but the market is so flooded (and he made a pretty penny flooding it!) that it will probably take 50 years for the signature to be worth more than the $150 spent on it

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
There's way too much merchandise signed by Stan Lee. I can't justify the price of his signature, much less an item marked up because of it. My verdict: prices will crash.

Putting aside the infamous Dynamic Forces controversy (true or not), however, I think Jack Kirby's signature could actually be worth something for years to come.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
The only Stan Lee signed books I have are connected directly to him. I feel sorry for all the people with Stan Lee signed ASM 300's, NYX 3's, Hulk 181's, and the like. Those books will probably be worth LESS after time passes.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I would love to see a DC book signed by Stan. Anyone have one?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee's signature is equivalent to that of Pete Rose's for me. They'll both sign a dog turd if you throw some cash at them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Hear me out on this one please.

What is up with Stan Lee Signed Comics & stuff??

Are we in an economic bubble of Stan Lee signed merchandise? And if yes, when is it going to burst?

Stan Lee literally signs thousands upon thousands of books and merchandise and 99% of it is not even related to him. It might be a Marvel Comic he signs but he had no hand in its creation. I've even seen signed DC comics.

Case in Point (pulled off ebay) Deadpool #45, signed by Stan Lee. Selling for $250. Unsigned versions have sold for $2.25

People get this stuff signed by him (for a fee around $100) then jack up the price 3x even 8x that. You can find hundreds of examples of this on ebay right this moment.

Even the characters that everyone thinks he has created like Spider-man, Fantastic Four, etc. It was actually Ditko, Kirby and other artists (which he never credited). I reference this article but there are several others written.
It's Stan Lee's Universe

Help me understand please?
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Did something not work?
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Stan Lee's signature is equivalent to that of Pete Rose's for me. They'll both sign a dog turd if you throw some cash at them.

So, who's the fool? The signer or the seeker/purchased?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Nampa: Did that book indeed "sell" for $250? People can "ask" any price they want for anything, but that doesn't mean they'll get it. There's a difference between what something is listed at, and what is actually sells for. That distinction is important because what it SELLS for, is actually what it's worth.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Real world sale on eBay. Wolverine #1 with a lcsd cover signed ONLY by Stan Lee - $579.00. Here is an example of a comic that you would be hard pressed to connect to Stan. By 1974, when Wolvie entered the scene, Stan was a publisher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-New-Wolverine-1-CGC-9-8-Local-Comic-Shop-Variant-LCSD-Signed-Stan-Lee-Rare-/332076204772?hash=item4d5148c2e4:g:RvgAAOSw4GVYLTNU
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

So, who's the fool? The signer or the seeker/purchased?

Fair question. I'm going to say that until Stan passes and maybe for a while afterwards, the seller has the advantage. After that, who knows? I would imagine that books Stan actually worked on would still sell for an amount above the unsigned copies. However, I know that I wouldn't shell out a premium for a Smurfs #1 that he signed. I don't know if he signed one, but there are enough people out there to hand him something offbeat like that.
Post 17 IP   flag post
In comparison, the raw, unsigned copy of the same comic sold for $142.50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-New-Wolverine-1-NM-Local-Comic-Shop-Day-Variant-LCSD-High-Grade-Beauty-X-23-/291946076605?hash=item43f95799bd:g:F9UAAOSwYIxX~nHj
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
Stan lee signed stuff used to be like one of the holy grails of signed books. I have a bunch myself but only of books that he created. but I see on his site he has crap signed that he had nothing to do with. Deadpool..... Star Wars, etc. I'm like.... WTF? seriously?? now it's getting to be too oversaturated & seams like they're just having him sign stuff just to have his sig on something regardless of him creating it of not. It kind of makes me mad a little.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Kcolli private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee is like Michael Jordan. Even with the amount of stuff they have signed, the price of their signature is valued high because of what they have done. Plus when they die their stuff they signed will sky rocket because they won't be signing anything again. Look at babe Ruth. You have his bat that he played with worth a lot. You have his signature on the bat and it is 10 times more. I don't have anything signed by stan Lee but I would love to get him to sign something before he passes.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcolli
Stan Lee is like Michael Jordan. Even with the amount of stuff they have signed, the price of their signature is valued high because of what they have done. Plus when they die their stuff they signed will sky rocket because they won't be signing anything again. Look at babe Ruth. You have his bat that he played with worth a lot. You have his signature on the bat and it is 10 times more. I don't have anything signed by stan Lee but I would love to get him to sign something before he passes.

I see your point. But Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan actually did something amazing. Stan Lee just claimed to create all these characters. I guess if you tell a lie long enough it becomes the truth. I think the only credit he can claim is the promotion of comics in the early days that led to wider acceptance as art and comic book movies when everyone else thought it wouldnt translate to the big screen.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I think that books signed by Stan along with other "key" famous creators will always have a market. I just think they will have to be yellow or red label books.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Archie10cent private msg quote post Address this user
I am not certain if many of you are aware that Stan had started his writing at 17 age? He begin wrote many stories for GA Captain America, Human Torch and many others. These comics are what you should have him sign in.

Of course, I would not want his name on covers. I would prefer be on first page on edge or somewhere. 😊

Moreover, Stan did also had wrote stories for other publishers during the 1950s. Most notably in romance stories and suspense stories. It was not until 1961 that Timely company become Marvel onward to today. It was the superhero theme that put him in spotlight since then now.

You did not see the fans fawn over him for romance or suspense or non-superhero fame years ago, do you? Yes, I think it is people's fault to want him sign anything. He just go along with the flow.

Now many of us are paying a C-note to get his signature.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
@jrs A few months back I saw a raw copy of New 52 Batman 1 signed by Stan Lee sell somewhere around $70 on ebay. Lol.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
The comments above make me think of Gene Simmons of KISS. Musically, not the greatest, but he sure knows how to market the band and himself. If you talked to him, I bet he would convince you that they are the greatest band of all time. He is the king of self promotion, right above Stan Lee. Lol.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Simple solution to a bubble, don't participate in it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
The comments above make me think of Gene Simmons of KISS. Musically, not the greatest, but he sure knows how to market the band and himself. If you talked to him, I bet he would convince you that they are the greatest band of all time. He is the king of self promotion, right above Stan Lee. Lol.

Gene Simmons could talk to me from now until Jesus comes and he'll NEVER convince me that KISS is the greatest band of all time. Great gimmick and great marketers, but as musicians they SUCK!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Simple solution to a bubble, don't participate in it.
you'er 100% right is the only way that this crazy autograph business stop. Every writer o artist wants its share of the market, thats Fair, but many other people refuse to participate or put especial rules. McFarlane, Jim Lee, Kirkmang among the people who stop to this practic, put especial Rules or keep doing it for free like Conner, Palmiotti and many others. We need to protect the hobby.
Post 28 IP   flag post
By the wsy Gene Simons and Stsn are great friends
Post 29 IP   flag post
I like the first album through Love Gun and then Creatures of the Night. Everything else is whatever.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600646 189 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.