Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

Restored books grading grid.2082

Collector OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I don't mind restored comics. Otherwise I would have never acquired certain issues. I also think CBCS should devise a groundbreaking and revolutionary grading grid that could be added to the grading notes. For example, a tear seal under 1/4 inch may equal 1%. Small amount of color touch, 2% and so on. That total could be suggested that the resale value be 3% less than fair market value of that book. Thoughts? The people in the grading trade need to address this in more detail at some point. @SteveBorock @SteveRicketts Why not set the standard CBCS?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
Ya sure except any restoration is going to knock off 25% minimum. I'm against restoration except when it's going to keep the comic from degrading even more.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
The restored notes are certainly lacking, I'll give you that. Even simplified to x% of entire book has some work done (whatever work that may be). Knowing what percentage of a book had been worked on would be extremely helpful to a buyer

I dont know that it would be worth the time for cbcs to go that extensive with the notes (perhaps an upcharge for restored books?), unless the books were extremely valuable. All in all great idea on that end of it @OGJackster

No such luck on the resale chart though, that market is set by buyers and buyers alone.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
It's a novel idea but I think it would be too unwieldy to expect graders to assign percentages. Grading is already subjective; to add grading of restoration conditions would add another later.

I'm all for more extensive notes regarding restoration, however. The "small amount of color touch" designation never strikes me as so severe as to warrant a 25% or more reduction in value. It could be a dot of color -- far better than a name written on the cover or a date stamp, which most people don't seem to mind.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Personally, I don't mind restored comics. Otherwise I would have never acquired certain issues. I also think CBCS should devise a groundbreaking and revolutionary grading grid that could be added to the grading notes. For example, a tear seal under 1/4 inch may equal 1%. Small amount of color touch, 2% and so on. That total could be suggested that the resale value be 3% less than fair market value of that book. Thoughts? The people in the grading trade need to address this in more detail at some point. @SteveBorock @SteveRicketts Why not set the standard CBCS?


You are way out there if you think that books with tear seals and CT should only be dropped down by a percentage point or two, from the value of their universally graded counterparts.

CBCS and CGC don't assign market values.That would be counterindicated with the entire premise that third party evaluation is based on.

CBCS and CGC provide third party grading , resto detection and encapsulation.Any resto is noted on the slab labels, and the degree/type and wether it was pro or ama resto is also noted.

The market sets the prices on restored books, not third party grading firms.

It is mostly informed buyers who set the prices on restored slabs.Buyers who understand the degree of resto on a book,wether it was professionally done or is amateur slobbery.

Pro resto such as tear seals and CT can usually be reversed without further damage to the book, not so for ama resto. ......wether it can be reversed without the book suffering greatly and the cost of resto removal...accounting for that cost and guessing on the grade afterwards.

There are a ton of factors when it comes to assigning value to restored books.To think it would be ground braking for either of the two well respected grading firms to assign some sort of sliding scale with percentage points really has no basis in linear thought.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I agree, it was just a thought and I wanted some feedback on along with other ideas. Not get bashed by some who act like their corn flakes just got pissed in. I understand everything that has been said. I've only been collecting for around 45 years so I'm not quite a newby. The bottom line is, it just seems like there should be a better way. Nuff said.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
They should have better notes, yes we agree there. Hell they should have better notes on everything. Cgc wants $10 for notes and often there isn't anything worth even looking at for free.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
@shrewbeer I agree, it was just a thought and I wanted some feedback on along with other ideas. Not get bashed by some who act like their corn flakes just got pissed in.


No ideas are bad ideas, especially when it creates good constructive dialogue! I know the CBCS crew watch our conversations (hi guys 👋🏻) and the more we talk the more they know what we (the consumers) are looking for.



Unfortunately you're right, sometimes the dialogue is not constructive (but its wayy better here than the other side of the street)


Post 8 IP   flag post
156860 8 8
destitute