Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

THIS is why CGC is inferior.2031

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I took a gamble. I lost. I'm ok with that. For what I paid for it, I'm still happy with her 😁. But CGC can $&!%#!

As of now she's at best 9.4. Held it for 5 minutes at the post office re-packaged and sent immediately to Steve to press and re-slab, hoping maybe he can salvage it as a 9.6 but certainly wont get my hopes up.

1. NOTES
THE CGC notes only say "center left cover bend"
The center part of the spine is CRACKED. Not bent. CRACKED, COLOR BREAKS. She is also DIRTY. And, there is a non color breaking spine tick at the bottom. Thanks CGC, you really informed me well of what I was getting 🤣 wtf

2. Creep Slab?
Yep, Looks like she's in a creep engine slab. Does CBCS still offer discount to reslab these junkboxes?

Also note that this is a good example of a bad pancake recipe. When too much heat is applied to a modern book it get crispy and it looks like somebody did that, applied lots of pressure, and thus cracked the spine.

When I buy CBCS comics the notes are free and accurate, and it comes in a nice slab. Just sayin'
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector sugarman private msg quote post Address this user
its absolutely tragic that someone has to PAY for grader notes, ON TOP of the slabbing. that's my beef. AND i never have to re-slab a CBCS graded comic, like CGC every 7-10 years.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
That is not a creep engine slab
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Jeezus! I don't pride myself on my grading skills but I don't think I've seen a 9.0 with that kind of spine damage (maybe even an 8.5).

I hope Steve's got some voodoo magic cuz that's the only way I see that brought back to a 9.6.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
That is not a creep engine slab

Theres no inner well and the comic is squashed between the plastic with no shrinkwrap. You sure about that? I'm thinking the spine damage could also be from the slab, it was really squashed tight in there.

Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
It's a old label graded in 2015 the creep engine didn't happen til the first part of 2016
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer The new cases, including the creep engine slab and the frankencase have a much darker, almost black, grade number as opposed to the clearly gray color of previous slabs and the page whiteness is included in the grade box

Post 7 IP   flag post
Ah gotya. Well the slab still sucked; no inner well and squished between the plastic on the sides.

This is the only CGC slab I have 👇🏻. Both look the same except the color of the grade. No shrinkwrap on the books, and squished between the plastic at the sides. Could it be the WW was one of the first 2nd gen slabs and had the old label? Coz these two certainly look the same to me.

Post 8 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Cbcs grades are.more accurate amd trusted. I'll see.if I can find my post of two Three Stooges #1 1953. Both are 8.5'S highest graded. One by CBCS and one by CGC. The cbcs is truly a solid 8.5, but when you set the cgc one next to it you would swear you would say the cgc is 7.5 at best.
Put your money in cbcs and you will get an more accurate reliable grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well we will see very soon how she does. Priority mailed it, with fast pass pressing and 2-day modern so I should have her back quickly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
as far as the discount goes for the resealing though.... that promotion already has ended. it ended right before I got a book back from CGC (Not my choice, it was the place I got the exclusive book from's exclusiveness with CGC) but I missed the cut off by I think it was like 2 weeks or something. :/
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a book recently that had the old label but didn't seem to have an inner well. I looked around and found a lot of them that looked this way. I never asked about it anywhere because I figured the topic had been discussed to death. But since it's come up, has anyone else noticed this? Here's the book -
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The new labels also have the page whiteness under the grade number, which the old label doesn't. It is indeed a generation one slab, pre #CreepEngine.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I guess what I dont understand is what the difference in the slabs are (excluding labels). If I look at that wolverine I posted it has the new (creepengine?) label but the plastic itself seems to be the same design as the WW.

The only other slab Ive ever had from cgc I cracked and I dont remember if it had an inner well but I do know the comic was essentially shrink-wrapped inside with a thin plastic.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer did CCS press that ? cause if so ill be directing my CGC only clients else where lol

that spine is screwed , no press is gonna fix that , imo that book is nowhere near a 9.6 .... not in this lifetime,
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_k
@shrewbeer did CCS press that ? cause if so ill be directing my CGC only clients else where lol

that spine is screwed , no press is gonna fix that , imo that book is nowhere near a 9.6 .... not in this lifetime,

I honestly have nonidea who pressed it, but if CCS did that would explain why CGC gave it a 96

I dont expect a second press to fix the spine issue, just eliminate the dirt and the non color breaking tic at te bottom so that the spine issue is the ONLY issue lol, maybe then I have a chance at a decent grade 👍🏻
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_k

I honestly have nonidea who pressed it, but if CCS did that would explain why CGC gave it a 96

I dont expect a second press to fix the spine issue, just eliminate the dirt and the non color breaking tic at te bottom so that the spine issue is the ONLY issue lol, maybe then I have a chance at a decent grade 👍🏻

Now.. now.. CGC wouldn't do business like that... 😂
Post 17 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer That thing you described as "shrink-wrap" was the inner well. The CreepEngine just has the comics sandwiched between sheets of mylar held in place by the pressure of the outer shell.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@shrewbeer That thing you described as "shrink-wrap" was the inner well. The CreepEngine just has the comics sandwiched between sheets of mylar held in place by the pressure of the outer shell.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Still not grasping the difference between the gen1 and creep slabs (aside from label). I'll have to look into that a bit more
Post 19 IP   flag post
So ill have to preface this with saying that this board is one of the few places I just shoot from the hip and say whatever comes to mind, and I ENJOY being corrected. You guys are great; Most of you have forgotten more than I'll ever know about books, and I've learned more on here than anywhere else!

That said, I REALLY pissed this guy off apparently. He researched me, found my name, emailed my workplace, and sent me a link to my dead kid brother's accident report 😡

Of course, he wont say who he is... would be very much appreciated if someone wants to tell me.

Post 20 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
That's Stu. He's not a bad guy guy in general, but he is slightly neurotic, or is it psychotic? I'm not sure. They say neurotics build castles in the air, and psychotics live in them. Stu will argue with them.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Makes sense. What's his handle on here? Nothing comes up in search for Stu.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
What's his handle on here?

Banned... ad infinitum.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Stu was banned permanently for being an all around jackwagon. He tries to sneak back in with new accounts now and then, he stays under the radar for a few threads and then once he smarts off like he always does the moderators catch him.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer btw, I've always enjoyed your posts here.
Post 25 IP   flag post
So The lunatic on here happens to live down the street, and decides its a good idea to bring up my brother's death and email my work.

On the plus side, I've got a stalker, how sweet ❤
Post 26 IP   flag post
Of all the people on the board, I really thought I'd be the first to pick up a stalker.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Of all the people on the board, I really thought I'd be the first to pick up a stalker.

How do you know you weren't...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer btw, I've always enjoyed your posts here.

Thanks Darth, much appreciated
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
OK, so Stu stalked a guy here and emailed him at work...just to tell him what an idiot he thought he was.

On the other boards...where he's also banned, he recently tried to sabotage a charity thread for a guy that needs a heart transplant.

These are the most recent trangressions that I know of.

What a great guy huh?
Post 30 IP   flag post
600498 87 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.