Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

To "Asterisk" or not to "Asterisk"2006

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I know a read a thread that had mentioned this, but cannot find the original, so I'll ask again to the patrons.

What exactly does an "asterisk" next to the grade reflect?

In the "Grading" section on the site, there is a "check mark" mentioned - that seems to mean "the book looks better" than the grade assigned, but "not much more".

Is an "asterisk" a reflection that the book is "just below the grade" assigned?

Thanks in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The asterisk on your dashboard means there's a checkmark on the label. They are the same thing, just they use the asterisk on the dashboard instead of the checkmark logo image because it's easier.
Post 2 IP   flag post

Why don't they just be "liberal" - *smiles* - and just increase the grade?

I would guess it is a more "pure" grade with the asterisk.

Thanks DL!
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@ZosoRocks It was a few topics below

cbcs grade with asterix
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
It's not hard to explain, checkmark means there's an interior flaw not visible from the outside of the slab and the book presents visibly better than the grade witch is accurate.

I think this explains it best....but sort of misleading, if the defect is inside, and the asterisk represents a "better look".

One would think a defect is a defect, and although it is not on the cover, it still should be noted and the grade reduced respectively.

I wonder if this will change as more people would like an explanation, rather than "guessing" what the reason is.

I hope they do. It would eliminate a lot of confusion.

Thanks to all!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer the checkmark/asterix to the CVA sticker and qualified labels.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
It's not hard to explain, checkmark means there's an interior flaw not visible from the outside of the slab and the book presents visibly better than the grade witch is accurate.

I think this explains it best....but sort of misleading, if the defect is inside, and the asterisk represents a "better look".

One would think a defect is a defect, and although it is not on the cover, it still should be noted and the grade reduced respectively.

I wonder if this will change as more people would like an explanation, rather than "guessing" what the reason is.

I hope they do. It would eliminate a lot of confusion.

Thanks to all!

I think you misunderstood. The interior defect is counted and the grade is reduced. Since the defect is not visible in the slab then the book looks better than an average book of the same grade whose defects are visible on the cover so the book is given the asterisk to note that fact.

Take for example this book. The only flaw listed on the notes is a stain on the inside back cover. The grade took a big hit because of that flaw but it is not visible in the slab so it looks better than another 8.5 whose flaws were spine ticks, cover creases, or bends. There is no guessing as you suggested there is.

What you are describing is more akin to CGC's Green Qualified label, which omits a major flaw from the book in the calculation of the grade. In many cases the omitted flaw is an unwitnessed signature but I've seen it extended to other visible flaws like major tears or holes punched in the back cover and the book still recieves a decent grade because that major flaw is not taken into consideration.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Okay....thanks "Dielinfinte". I guess I did.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Cheers!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
On the subject of "Asterick's". I understand when a book is better then a 8.0 but not good enough for a 8.5 so why not give it a grade of 8.3? So far all I've ever seen (and maybe that's all they do) 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 to 9.0, then 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and (the very rare) 10. What happened to 9.5?? I'm still learning about grades.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a good example of the difference between green qualified and checkmark.

CGCs green label is shit. Just a way to appease the masses for more customers making them think their .5 is a 5.5 "qualified" 😡

Yep, when I was new to the slab world I bought a 5.5 qualified (Supes #11). It was missing the centerfold. Had it been graded correctly by CBCS instead of CGC, That book would have been a .5 POOR (with a checkmark lol), NOT a fine.

When I came to my senses and realized I had a poor, I found a coverless book to rape the centerfold out of, married it, and CBCS gave me a 4.0 as it was now a complete book with a loose centerfold.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Rafel Okay so assuming the first part of your question still involves the asterisk, the 8.0 book with an asterisk is an 8.0 because the total number of flaws for the book amount to enough to give it an 8.0. However, the placement of those flaws may be such that the outward appearance of the book looks better than a book that has those exact same flaws but in a more visible location. The first book isn't necessarily "between" grades.

Second, the grading scale isn't a 100 point scale as the #.# grade format may suggest.

0.1, 0.3, and 0.5 basically denote degrees of incompleteness. From there the grading scale increases in .5 increments up to 9.0. After 9.0 the grading scale increments in units of 0.2 up to 9.8, then you have the unicorn grades of 9.9 and 10.0 above that.

The 9.5 was a marketing ploy CGC employed in partnernship with Wizard Magazine and outside of the limited number of books that came from that partnership, neither CGC nor CBCS use a 9.5 grade. Those 9.5 books aren't considered legitimately graded by many collectors though some still consider them a nice novelty

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Rafel Okay so assuming the first part of your question still involves the asterisk, the 8.0 book with an asterisk is an 8.0 because the total number of flaws for the book amount to enough to give it an 8.0. However, the placement of those flaws may be such that the outward appearance of the book looks better than a book that has those exact same flaws but in a more visible location. The first book isn't necessarily "between" grades.

Second, the grading scale isn't a 100 point scale as the #.# grade format may suggest.

0.1, 0.3, and 0.5 basically denote degrees of incompleteness. From there the grading scale increases in .5 increments up to 9.0. After 9.0 the grading scale increments in units of 0.2 up to 9.8, then you have the unicorn grades of 9.9 and 10.0 above that.

The 9.5 was a marketing ploy CGC employed in partnernship with Wizard Magazine and outside of the limited number of books that came from that partnership, neither CGC nor CBCS use a 9.5 grade. Those 9.5 books aren't considered legitimately graded by many collectors though some still consider them a nice novelty

Thank you very much Dielinfinite!! Great explanation and that's the first (and only) 9.5 I've ever seen. By the way, are you a collector and or a dealer? Thanks again. This really helps.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
When you look at how the grading system actually breaks down into the letter grades you'll see there is no room for other "in between" grades.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Quote:

Thank you very much Dielinfinite!! Great explanation and that's the first (and only) 9.5 I've ever seen. By the way, are you a collector and or a dealer? Thanks again. This really helps.

Not only is the 9.5 a rare sight to see....a CGC red label is also.....
Post 14 IP   flag post
...but that actually looks like a transition "Red Label".
- different label than the original Red label

May I ask what the date was when it was graded?
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Wizard First books were all done in 2005, I believe, so a little after CGC's red modern label was put out to pasture. I wouldn't put any more significance in the label color than I would in the grade these books got since these book are the result of a deal with Wizard at the time and I'm pretty sure they all got 9.5s.

Quote:

You're welcome! I'm just a collector.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
The Wizard First books were all done in 2005, I believe, so a little after CGC's red modern label was put out to pasture. I wouldn't put any more significance in the label color than I would in the grade these books got since these book are the result of a deal with Wizard at the time and I'm pretty sure they all got 9.5s.

Quote:

You're welcome! I'm just a collector.

Since a 9.5 is a rare item, does that make it worth more and by how much?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Rafel I suppose they are relatively rare but there isn't really a ton of demand for them, similar to how CGC's other specialty labels don't command a significant premium over the standard label for the same book, grade, and signature.

Wizard First 9.5s have recently sold for anywhere between $15 and $70 but rarely for any significant amount more, and often a bit less than the same book in a Universal 9.4 or 9.6 grade
Post 18 IP   flag post
600438 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?