Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Advice on Tape2002

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone,

Hoping I can get some advice or at least some first hand experience dealing with this. To keep the tape or remove it, that is the topic.

Exhibit A:

Strange Tales #110 I've attached 2 pictures. Front Cover and Interior of front cover. I didn't apply the tape I bought it this way.

-Should I leave the tape and just have it graded that way or should I seek a professional to remove it?
-Removing it could cause that corner piece to fall off.
-Would the book grade higher missing that corner or taped on?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Hey KingNampa...a bunch of us just had this same discussion 3 days ago. I'm sure one of these guys can link the conversation for you , but scan the threads and find "iron man #1 question" ....theres some info in there
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/1974/iron-man-1-question/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/1974/iron-man-1-question/
Thanks!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I got some info from that thread. But more interested in anyone's personal experience with actually having tape removed. Thanks in advance.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If you are lucky and you accidentally get some tape on a glossy modern book you might be able to slowly pull it off without any sign of wear.

On an older book that already has tape you are going to do some damage removing it unless the tape is extremely old an brittle. Unless you are feeling lucky or the tape seems to be very loose, the book will probably look better with the tape than without it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I would leave the tape or get a quote for removal by a professional. I believe Hero Restoration provides a free evaluation if you send them the book. The information is available on their website.

Of course, if a professional restores the book by re-attaching the piece without tape, you are looking at a purple label from CGC or a notation of restoration from CBCS, which some buyers (not necessarily me) would shy away from.
Post 7 IP   flag post
*Duplicate Post* Sorry
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
I would leave the tape or get a quote for removal by a professional. I believe Hero Restoration provides a free evaluation if you send them the book. The information is available on their website.

Of course, if a professional restores the book by re-attaching the piece without tape, you are looking at a purple label from CGC or a notation of restoration from CBCS, which some buyers (not necessarily me) would shy away from.

Update on the comic. I took your advice and sent it to Mike @ Hero Restorations. That guy is amazing. He was able to remove the tape and the cover remained intact. No Restoration needed. Will upload a photo once I get it graded.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa, very cool, congrats. Looking forward to seeing the pic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

Update on the comic. I took your advice and sent it to Mike @ Hero Restorations. That guy is amazing. He was able to remove the tape and the cover remained intact. No Restoration needed. Will upload a photo once I get it graded.

How long did the process take at Hero? I'm looking to buy a book that might need some tape removal. I checked out Hero and their site says like 8 months wait for slight restoration, which is what they categorize tape removal but it seems they got yours done much faster
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

How long did the process take at Hero? I'm looking to buy a book that might need some tape removal. I checked out Hero and their site says like 8 months wait for slight restoration, which is what they categorize tape removal but it seems they got yours done much faster

Hi. Ya true their website lists 8 months for minor restoration work must have a long waitlist. But in my case the tape was minor and I'm a regular customer so he gave me a fast pass. LOL. If this is your first time sending something to Hero Restoration I wouldn't expect to get the anything faster than the 8 months listed on his website. But I highly recommend Hero Restoration they do great work.
Post 12 IP   flag post
598060 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?