Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Obscure SA Comics1992

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Since we already have an obscure GA thread, I thought I'd start a Silver Age Obscure comic thread. This really seems to be time period (approx 1956 - 1970) that I like and can afford the most. Anyway, here are a few I got in today. I'm really digging the painted cover on the Dell Jungle War Stories comic. With only 11 issues in the series, I may have to find them all!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Nice timing on this thread. Someone on the forum put me onto this book (dont remember who, raise your hand if you want credit lol), and I'm very pleased with the mailman today!! Will be sending it for a press and grade soon.

Unopened

After taking out the trusty razorblade...

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Nice timing on this thread. Someone on the forum put me onto this book (dont remember who, raise your hand if you want credit lol), and I'm very pleased with the mailman today!! Will be sending it for a press and grade soon.

Unopened

After taking out the trusty razorblade...

The rifle comics are so cool, yet so disturbing. Like that Will Eisner art.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of Dell and Charlton stuff, and then some Gold Key's as well.

My favorite, though maybe not so obscure because it was Wally Wood, are the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents books.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot

My favorite, though maybe not so obscure because it was Wally Wood, are the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents books.

It'd be cool to see those!! By obscure, I guess I mean less popular. I love the Cap 100's, AF 15's and X-Men 1's just like everyone else, but I want to see some Charlton, Dell, Harvey, Gold Key, ACG, etc. I'm sure there is even some DC and Marvel that could fit in here as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome!

Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I can post a few THUNDER Agents.

Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
This one's Gil Kane, not Wood.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Nice books!!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
@QuaBrot - Thanks. Here's another Tower Comic with a Wood cover.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
Hows this for obscure? Got it in a box of comics . . .

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Hows this for obscure? Got it in a box of comics . . .

I like it!!! Lots of great stuff so far!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
I just checked out the movie "The Courtship of Eddies Father". Eddie is none other than Ron Howard and Glenn Ford was his dad!!!

Looks like this was based on the tv show.
Post 15 IP   flag post

Wouldn't let me load another image - these are spin-offs from the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents - love the Wally Wood covers!!!
Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O - Based on your recent purchase, I might have to send these to you, Jesse.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Got some more SA goodies!! I used to LOVE watching Rat Patrol on TV!! And I used to read my mom's Ellery Queen digests, so I couldn't pass that one up when I saw it!! The Gazoo is from '74, but I can never pass up a Gazoo!!

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
None of this stuff below is really obscure , but since I don't collect "funnies" I never see it , so it's neat for me. Pretty sure they're all 2.00 books and not even all silver, but they're all in the same box in my closet ..sorry Jess...awake and bored

Post 20 IP   flag post
@esaravo
Me too.

Post 21 IP   flag post

Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
None of this stuff below is really obscure , but since I don't collect "funnies" I never see it , so it's neat for me. Pretty sure they're all 2.00 books and not even all silver, but they're all in the same box in my closet ..sorry Jess...awake and bored

It's all cool!! And i'm glad you shared those Big Boys!! I got two of them in the same lot as the ones above and I was debating whether to share them or not!! Plus, I got some Curtis Cook Christian comics in there also. They are kind of interesting.

Post 23 IP   flag post
@jesse_o.....Ha! cool...now I'm glad I posted them . I know mine aren't of any value, but some of the stuff they say on these covers cracks me up..love looking at them.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Both are 1 of 2 second highest in grade (only one copy higher)

These are highest in grade

Post 25 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post
@drchaos...how come my little lulu's look like this and yours look like that ? c'mon now
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
@drchaos...how come my little lulu's look like this and yours look like that ? c'mon now

Probably because yours are Dell and mine are Gold Key.
Post 29 IP   flag post
lol...ok...now you're just being polite I'd take your 9.4
gold Key over my .5 Dell any day..but if you're feeling guilty, you can throw in the Dark Shadows and star trek...I love barnabas collins and well... Kirk...is Kirk. I guess I can just go get another tattoo to match this one (just kidding..had to look that up )
Post 30 IP   flag post
600869 51 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?