Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgePop Culture

Too Much! It's too much!1977

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@Drogio the question was first with 4 or more variants.

Understood...but I naturally had the question "which was the true first variant"...thought I'd share my research finding.

I believe the first blank sketch cover was a he-man: masters of the universe published by Dynamic Forces.

http://investcomics.com/features/the-history-of-blank-variant-covers-index
Post 26 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
50 shades of 1993
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
50 shades of 1993

Well said.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks

I have my own opinions, but...curious to hear what others think....

A. What was the first "blank/sketch" cover produced?

B. What book has the first variant distribution of four covers or more for a single comic book.....!

Not sure about (a)

(B) is batman legends of the dark knight issue #1 with its 4 colors. Used to have all of them...down to just yellow now.

I have tons of the Legends of the Dark Knight, in all colors. Speculated heavily on them.

So far, a mistake in investment. But they are pretty side by side.

I also invested heavily (and I do mean heavily) in the various Spiderman #1's. Of those I could get.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
FYI - Superman: Man of Steel #1 was the first comic with a "variant" cover...according to what I found online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variant_cover

i think we have a winner!

;o)

Nicely done!
Post 30 IP   flag post

quote=DarthLego]@Drogio the question was first with 4 or more variants.

OOPS!!....I did say four, huh?.....In the least, we did find out the first variant cover that was issued.....I learned something new today!

And if I can learn anything, it is a good day!

:o)
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@Drogio the question was first with 4 or more variants.

Understood...but I naturally had the question "which was the true first variant"...thought I'd share my research finding.

I believe the first blank sketch cover was a he-man: masters of the universe published by Dynamic Forces.

http://investcomics.com/features/the-history-of-blank-variant-covers-index

Zero Hour #0 came out in 1994...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AND-OF-TODAY-ZERO-HOUR-0-SEP-94-DC-COMICS-BOOK-FREE-SHIPPING-C30-/182203900353?hash=item2a6c32e1c1:g:I7kAAOSwanRXhWHq
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
FYI - Superman: Man of Steel #1 was the first comic with a "variant" cover...according to what I found online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variant_cover

i think we have a winner!

;o)

Nicely done!

Not so fast.

1) the question was about books with four variant covers.

2) In the Golden Age, there were books with various covers put on the same contents. Often these covers had absolutely nothing to do with the content stories. I have some Superboy comics (#29 and 31) that have covers stating Blazing Comics. Blazing Comics are known to have many different interiors. Which came out with the "correct" covers, and also with the Blazing Comics covers.

Are those considered variants? They were intentional, not accidents.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So you're telling me these are the first ever variants? I am going to have them signed by Stan Lee and put them on eBay for like a million dollars! LOL

Now I remember why I started to lose interest in buying new comics in the mid- to late 1980's (these are from Oct. 1986). The final nails in the coffin were the X-Men #1 variants and the million plus copies of Spider-man #1 variants that were pumped out in 1990/1991.

Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak is right. I'm still sitting here with no ideas of my own to contribute, waiting for a winner 😎
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@conditionfreak is right. I'm still sitting here with no ideas of my own to contribute, waiting for a winner 😎

I corrected myself.....four or more was the original question...

And I used that number (not random), because I wanted to see what other people could come up with.

IMO - B:LotDK #1 seems to be the first.....and the X-Men #1 seems to be the second....and then it just jumps from there.....gimmick covers in the 90s to the many ratio comics in the 2000.

:o)
Post 36 IP   flag post
597876 36 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?