Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Iron Man #1 Question.1974

Collector BrandonR private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Iron Man #1 with tape down the outside spine. I emailed Hero Restoration and he said it wouldn't be worth removing the tape from. I will be getting rid of this book as I am not a Marvel collector. Would it be worth grading first? I am not even sure what it would be worth.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Talk to one of the pressing companies. They might be able to press it, clean it, and remove the tape. Other than the tape, the book looks to be in decent shape.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If the tape can not be removed (cheaply? Safely?) the only benefit of grading would be that the buyer would have assurance that the book was not restored. Otherwise you might be better off selling it without grading.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I'm pretty clueless regarding tape and grading, but as i understand it, if the tape serves no purpose it's a defect and still blue label. If it serves a purpose it's ignored and the defect it's "fixing " is graded as if the tape wasn't there.

messing with tape removal may hurt if chemicals are used (I have no idea what the different methods are) so I'm not sure I'd bother on an Iron man 1 in mid grade.

I figure it's a 400.00 book graded blue label with or without the tape and its just a matter of finding a buyer who doesn't mind the tape. If it gets bumped a full grade without the tape, it's not going to matter much on this books value...so why bother paying to have it removed ..you'll probably break even on the added expense vs graded value.

But who knows...I could be wrong on all counts..just my opinion
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I'm pretty clueless regarding tape and grading, but as i understand it, if the tape serves no purpose it's a defect and still blue label. If it serves a purpose it's ignored and the defect it's "fixing " is graded as if the tape wasn't there.

messing with tape removal may hurt if chemicals are used (I have no idea what the different methods are) so I'm not sure I'd bother on an Iron man 1 in mid grade.

I figure it's a 400.00 book graded blue label with or without the tape and its just a matter of finding a buyer who doesn't mind the tape. If it gets bumped a full grade without the tape, it's not going to matter much on this books value...so why bother paying to have it removed ..you'll probably break even on the added expense vs graded value.

But who knows...I could be wrong on all counts..just my opinion

I think the tape would knock the grade down quite a bit.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@drchaos ...You're probably right...I don't have any real experience with tape unless I'm tearing off half my cover when I forget there's tape on the plastic
Post 6 IP   flag post
But I don't know that there's really that much a price change on that book between 5.0 and 7.5...maybe 100-150.00

There are still a good number of moderate edge bends breaking color, spine stress lines breaking color, edge blunts, corner blunts, rounded corners, writing, color scrapes...all stuff not press-able...so tape may not be a deal breaker
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
There will likely be long, vertical tape stains after tape removal. This book probably won't grade higher than a 4.0 so not worth it to pay for tape removal, pressing and cleaning.

Both companies hammer noticeable stains hard.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
As @Watcher suggested, the big question is, what is the tape fixing? What is the specific defect there even if you ignore the tape? Is the spine completely split?

Need better pics, but as @zosocane said, its now acid stained from the tape and youll get hammered on that alone, nevermind the tape.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the CGC take on it, began in 2013.

I'm sure CBCS has a similar stance.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&cgc-modifies-stance-on-grading-submissions-with-tape

Currently, CGC’s stance on tape allows for its presence to fix a detached cover, a tear or to re-attach a piece of the comic. This would still allow the book to receive a Universal Label and even a possible grade increase from what the book would have been had tape not been present.

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.
Post 10 IP   flag post
597924 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?