Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering what the differences are between CGC & CBCS? Is one more accurate in grading? I know that there are faithful ones to each company. I guess its another one of those Coke vs Pepsi kind of things.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Customer service, integrity, and skill.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
I am going to assume that is a vote for CBCS
Post 3 IP   flag post
For skill, we are probably talking coke/pepsi with that from what Ive seen, although leaning CBCS due to seeing them catch some things CGC didnt. The other two items for sure though all to CBCS.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
My take on this simple. CBCS is very conservative (which is good for the buyer). CGC is VERRRY liberal (which is better for seller). For me I want as close to the real grade as possible so I go with CBCS. Although, I've disagreed on grades from both (CBCS was too low and CGC was way too high). So if you were to take a vote, I vote CBCS. Just an FYI, I've stopped buying CGC because of this. Since CGC is more established they bring a much higher price but CBCS is moving on up. Also, I had a book damaged (by CBCS), restored (by an outside source) and slabbed by CGC (because CBCS couldn't do it)!! On the label, there is NOTHING that says "This book has been restored"!! To me, if this is the way CGC does business (by NOT stating a book has been restored) this constitutes fraud. Since this happened to me it makes me wonder how many other books CGC has graded that have been restored and not reported on their labels.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The whole #CreepEngine fiasco swore me off of CGC forever.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SavageFinale private msg quote post Address this user
I have ASM 252 signed by Stan Lee and graded by cgc so it got the yellow label, but I spent months worrying about it because I had no updates on it. When things went south in the shipping they were just awful. CBCS has been great every step of the way, you can say that i am officially a fan boy. I appreciate them keeping me in the loop.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Johnjakewish private msg quote post Address this user
I just sent in watchmen 1-12 all CGC 9.8's and here is how they came back. (See below).Having the books in my possession I can say that it was very apparent that not all were 9.8 or 9.6's. CBCS might be tougher on grading, but that is a good thing. I buy my books exclusively online and I have been much happier with CBCS books than CGC. Which is another way to say that I trust them and their grades more.

Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego

Huh?

Do tell!!

:o)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnjakewish
I just sent in watchmen 1-12 all CGC 9.8's and here is how they came back. (See below).Having the books in my possession I can say that it was very apparent that not all were 9.8 or 9.6's. CBCS might be tougher on grading, but that is a good thing. I buy my books exclusively online and I have been much happier with CBCS books than CGC. Which is another way to say that I trust them and their grades more.

Intersting test you did there.

I'd say that being "liberal" seems to be a key. Remember - and in truth, it is all speculative and in "the eye of the beholder" no matter which way you go.

I like the option that there now are two companies that I can patronize, (I don't think PGX is higher than CGC or CBCS) BUT, I think I will solidify my future endeavors with CBCS if my recent submission and it's results come back as I expect.
Post 11 IP   flag post
In all honestly tho I believe that CBCS is going to be the new standard. CGC has been around longer and some people stuck to what they know. I think CBCS actually cares about it's product and it's customers. Cant really say the same for CGC. With trying to cover up what was wrong with the new cases or acting if nothing was ever wrong in the first place. I'm sure I could come up with a list but to me it comes down to customer retention. CBCS acts as if they want you to come back for life. CGC wants your money and well that's it. CBCS is still growing and I believe their slabs will command the same if not and more than likely in the end more money than CGC slabs. They have done alot with the time they have in now. With the continued improvements to come I can only speculate great things for a CBCS future. Just my opinions....🍺
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:

Huh?

Do tell!!

https://comicsheatingup.net/2016/06/17/cgc-new-case-debate-explained/
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRig
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
CGC still seems to be the big player on the block. But nearly every collector I know for the most part, in person or online, and every podcast I listen to won't have anything to do with CGC anymore. They have thrown their support to CBCS. Unless I live in a complete echo chamber, I don't think CGC will hold their industry standard title for much longer.
Post 15 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
CGC still seems to be the big player on the block. But nearly every collector I know for the most part, in person or online, and every podcast I listen to won't have anything to do with CGC anymore. They have thrown their support to CBCS.

I think a lot of that is simply lip service... on both sides. It just depends on who's the audience.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Since both companies have my to be graded books in their custody I will exercise my right to remain silent.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
Quote:
Quote:

Huh?

Do tell!!

https://comicsheatingup.net/2016/06/17/cgc-new-case-debate-explained/

The wave damage and the issues with those cases were only on the 2nd Gen cases correct?
Post 18 IP   flag post
The newest cases still have the colored, oil-like splotches.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

But the books are not heled in with pressureach though. The have an inner well like cbcs's cases. I still will not send a book to them though
Post 20 IP   flag post
I don't think I have ever seen the splotches on a CBCS graded book.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
As they say on the other side of the road - time for popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
CGC fixed the slabs that had no need of fixing. They probably didn't say the slabs were defective for liability reasons.
Personally, I think the grading is a wash. It just depends on what specific grader is doing the work. I tend to use CBCS for just about all my grading needs nowadays.
My main issue with CGC was how they handled the slab fiasco from the beginning. If I send anything to CGC, it's usually a friend's books.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't think I have ever seen the splotches on a CBCS graded book.

I know what you mean about the oily look, I'm just saying the 3rd gen case has an inner well just like the CBCS case. CGCs 2nd Gen cases had the issues due to the lack of an inner well. CGC really dropped the ball with it big time. I have a couple books I purchased with the 2nd Gen cases I will be sending into CBCS to have cracked open and re-slabbed.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Even with the inner well, they still have the spots. There was a new thread about it on the cgc boards last week.
Post 25 IP   flag post
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/1841/page/2/question-about-my-first-set-of-graded-books/#31

On closer inspection, the last book I got from cbcs is wavy as well.

The only complaint I have with BOTH companies is that neither seems to have a case that is as good as a book sealed in a mylite/fullback/toploader. Their only current advantage is thicker plastic.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Watched the Video that was posted above. Very interesting. I'm cbcs all the way now. Has anyone seen anything like that from cbcs at all
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
In all honestly tho I believe that CBCS is going to be the new standard. CGC has been around longer and some people stuck to what they know. I think CBCS actually cares about it's product and it's customers. Cant really say the same for CGC. With trying to cover up what was wrong with the new cases or acting if nothing was ever wrong in the first place. I'm sure I could come up with a list but to me it comes down to customer retention. CBCS acts as if they want you to come back for life. CGC wants your money and well that's it. CBCS is still growing and I believe their slabs will command the same if not and more than likely in the end more money than CGC slabs. They have done alot with the time they have in now. With the continued improvements to come I can only speculate great things for a CBCS future. Just my opinions....🍺

I can agree to these points, because I also think the stricter grading will be the game changer for demand....especially if "being liberal" is playing a factor. If the grading isn't actual and can been seen as such, people will begin to take notice more and this will drop their interest in that comoany and the product they offer.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:

Hmmm...I'll have to look at what I have.....just in case.....

They looked fine when I rcbd them.

Thanks for the heads up.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm...I'll have to look at what I have.....just in case.....

They looked fine when I rcbd them.

Thanks for the heads up.

@DarthLego pointed out the second generation case without the inner well that causes the most damage.
This one is the 2nd Gen cases:

And this is the third generation case with the inner well like CBCS has:

Post 30 IP   flag post
600899 342 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.