Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

Signatures on books - detract or entice?1939

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Okay....I'm not sure on this topic or not, but since we all have many books that are signed, and may or may not be graded like this eBay seller has.....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/palmtreecomics/m.html?item=292007383113&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

.....but do the signatures detract away from the visual appeal of the cover?

IMO - maybe one or two (if placed strategically) would be cool to see, but four or five autographs, causes me to really have to look at the cover through the signatures, thus not "enjoying" it as much as I would have liked.

Do others have this same perception?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm buying a signed comic, I really only want the artist or writer or both of that particular title. Any more than that is overkill for me. Personally I prefer a clean copy 99% of the time.

I hate seeing Stan Lee sigs on books that he has literally nothing to do with, and his placement is terrible most of the time.
Post 2 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
If I'm buying a signed comic, I really only want the artist or writer or both of that particular title. Any more than that is overkill for me. Personally I prefer a clean copy 99% of the time.

I hate seeing Stan Lee sigs on books that he has literally nothing to do with, and his placement is terrible most of the time.

you mean you don't like it when Stan signs a copy of Batman? who doesn't like that?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Kcolli private msg quote post Address this user
I like having signatures on comics. Yes it may take away from the cover art but I like them. I especially like Kevin Eastman signature with his turtle sketch
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed. If not placed right it detracts from the book. Most of my sig books have great placement, save one.

I was extremely happy to get this done, but it was NOT where I wanted it at all. IMO it makes the book look like shit. But, its Mart and he's gone now, so I wont sell it 😔

This one, on the other hand is placed perfectly IMO

Purchased this one as well because of a great placement

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
I am new to comics, but for me it depends on the comic/cover. For example, love the unsigned Lucille Variant of Walking Dead 100. The signed versions take away something from the simplicity of the cover.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef

you mean you don't like it when Stan signs a copy of Batman? who doesn't like that?

Especially when he signs right over Batmans face and smudges the sig across the rest of the art lol.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I'm in the minority as I love the scribbles of multiple creators on a signed book and I'm not TOO particular about where they sign. That might be because I've gotten lucky and the people that have signed my books have typically been somewhat mindful of the art even when I have 4 or 5 sigs on a book, so it's never been a big problem for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I guess I'm in the minority as I love the scribbles of multiple creators on a signed book and I'm not TOO particular about where they sign. That might be because I've gotten lucky and the people that have signed my books have typically been somewhat mindful of the art even when I have 4 or 5 sigs on a book, so it's never been a big problem for me.

Way to show that there are exceptions! Even though it's not on the cover, the placement of the sigs is great. However, if I saw all of these sigs on a cover I would more than likely pass it up. To each their own!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I am happy that they sell new comics with space on the back for all them signings we like. I like the art not touched if possible

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

Way to show that there are exceptions! Even though it's not on the cover, the placement of the sigs is great. However, if I saw all of these sigs on a cover I would more than likely pass it up. To each their own!

Hey Mef....you bring up a good point.

Noticing your print above with all of the SW characters signatures on it, I could live with something like that.

But if you apply those to a comic book cover, man-o-man, that would be a busy cover and then trying to see what the cover looks like.....my eyes would be buggin' out!

:o)

As for signatures on the back.....Hmmm....I've seen people sign on the inside cover and first pages, but on the back?.....I don't think I have any like that. Interesting that you would mention that, because with slabbing, you would still be able to see it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
...another point Mef.....just think if you wanted to have a book graded, that has 5-10 signatures on it.....and they were not witnessed initially.....

You would be looking at $100+ just to verify the signatures.

For a SW actor signature.....x5.....that may be well worth the cost to get something like this signed.

But then again, we are talking a book that has now moved into the specialized category - if to be resold.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I could get down with sigs on the back, but like you mentioned Zoso it would be tough to display if that was your intended purpose. It's an interesting thing to think about, but I suppose if I wanted sigs I would prefer them on the front.

@ZosoRocks Also I'll have to post a pic of my Four Symbols tat
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I've actually had books that have minimal art on backs signed on the backs, i.e. Dark Knight Master Race books as an example.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I love all my art and they do have all info on the case.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
I could get down with sigs on the back, but like you mentioned Zoso it would be tough to display if that was your intended purpose. It's an interesting thing to think about, but I suppose if I wanted sigs I would prefer them on the front.

Ah yes...another Zep fan rears their head for others!!

A tattoo.....cool.....

My "holy grail" of Led Zeppelin memorabilia is a 3-record "Copenhagen Warm-ups: The Second Night" live bootleg recording - pressed in a black and white starburst vinyl style. Very cool, and I think....very rare.

I've never seen anything like it ever - and have inquired about it with other sellers - but never any luck. I had initially bought this one in Michigan in the early 80s.....and have always thought that it is one of the first pressed because of the colored vinyl kicker, and then the presser went with strictly "black lacquer" for later copies.

Here is a random link on eBAY.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=copenhagen+warm-ups&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=87111&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=16&_dmd=1&_ipg=100
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef

A tattoo.....cool.....

My "holy grail" of Led Zeppelin memorabilia is a 3-record "Copenhagen Warm-ups: The Second Night" live bootleg recording - pressed in a black and white starburst vinyl style. Very cool, and I think....very rare.

I've never seen anything like it ever - and have inquired about it with other sellers - but never any luck. I had initially bought this one in Michigan in the early 80s.....and have always thought that it is one of the first pressed because of the colored vinyl kicker, and then the presser went with strictly "black lacquer" for later copies.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=copenhagen+warm-ups&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=87111&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=16&_dmd=1&_ipg=100

I haven't really collected much Zeppelin material other than Vinyl and CD Collections this is one I do not have! One of my favorite pieces of zep/comic memoribilia I'll link below, it's not my copy but i'm not home atm. It's 100% UNAUTHORIZED material lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-n-Roll-comics-issue-13-Revolutionary-1990-Led-Zeppelin-/142236785450?hash=item211df91b2a:g:8ekAAOSw7XZXgnl0
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef

A tattoo.....cool.....

I haven't really collected much Zeppelin material other than Vinyl and CD Collections this is one I do not have! One of my favorite pieces of zep/comic memoribilia I'll link below, it's not my copy but i'm not home atm. It's 100% UNAUTHORIZED material lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-n-Roll-comics-issue-13-Revolutionary-1990-Led-Zeppelin-/142236785450?hash=item211df91b2a:g:8ekAAOSw7XZXgnl0

I have that issue.....and I also think I have a Van Halen edition too. NICE!! I'm not the only one!!

Damn those magazine sized comics!!

;O)
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Abrowncoat private msg quote post Address this user
I like signatures when I'm the one getting it. To me part of the reason I want my book signed is that it serves as a memento of the time I met the person. I do have other books that were already signed when I got them and they just don't hold the same amount of value or meaning to me.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
As an autograph collector since early 1970's, I have one comment to make: autographs do not last forever. Black ink, black sharpie etc fades over time. (they all do) but Black leaves a "ghost" yellow image around it when it starts fading. I will have to dig one up to show you all. I am at the point I ask for BLUE sharpie or paint pen. FYI..Good luck!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a lot of signatures (maybe 30 or so) but whenever I get a signature, I prep the book so the artist has to sign where I want them to. Obviously wont work for buying signed books, but I don't usually do that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
As someone who comes from the old school of signatures, I still prefer having the creator(s) sign the interior of a comic.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Captain_Aspirin private msg quote post Address this user

I do like multiple signatures if they fit a theme ( Creators or cast) but signature placement is important in that. For single signatures I prefer it to be as non interfering as possible. If there's room to sign besides over the artwork. Signing over faces just bugs me. I do think there a books better left unsigned, and certainly inappropriate books people have signed. I've seen a GSX1 on ebay that on the first page is signed "I didn't do this. John Byrne" which is terrible and I'm sure there's an Avengers 4 signed by Chris Evan out there....It all depends on the book.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef
To each their own!

Words to collect by!

I don't own, nor have I ever owned, a signed comic. Just doesn't appeal to me. That said, I understand the attraction, nor would I ever berate someone for collecting signed comics.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer books without signatures. I f I do get a book signed it will be one of the people who actually worked on the book and I would be tempted to have the sign inside on a white area.

I also consider signatures a defect BUT I also have no issue assigning the signature a value. To me keeping the integrity of a grading system is more important. I have no issue at all considering a book not to be 9.8 (or whatever)but assigning it a value higher than a book in that grade based on how much I desire the signature.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It depends on the book, the cover art, and the signature placement, and the artist. Usually I'll only buy unsigned unless I really enjoy that artist's work and find a sig at a decent price. There was once I actually paid more to find an unsigned copy of a book because I loved the artwork and wanted it pristine, for some reason signed copies were a lot more abundant.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Aspirin

I do like multiple signatures if they fit a theme ( Creators or cast) but signature placement is important in that. For single signatures I prefer it to be as non interfering as possible. If there's room to sign besides over the artwork. Signing over faces just bugs me. I do think there a books better left unsigned, and certainly inappropriate books people have signed. I've seen a GSX1 on ebay that on the first page is signed "I didn't do this. John Byrne" which is terrible and I'm sure there's an Avengers 4 signed by Chris Evan out there....It all depends on the book.

Why would an artist or writer....when they know they didn't work on the book, still sign it?

I can think of only one thing....the presenter, didn't know, and doesn't care.

A little research on their behalf would save lots of time for all involved.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Overall, I'm not a big fan of obtrusively placed signatures on books. Stan Lee has signed so many books, I think it's getting to the point where a book may be valued less because his signature is on it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Overall, I'm not a big fan of obtrusively placed signatures on books. Stan Lee has signed so many books, I think it's getting to the point where a book may be valued less because his signature is on it.

I've been known to pass up a book on eBay because Stan signed it a time or three. If I'm looking for a Darth Vader I sure as hell don't want Stan Lee on it! Sure enough, there he is.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
As an autograph collector since early 1970's, I have one comment to make: autographs do not last forever. Black ink, black sharpie etc fades over time. (they all do) but Black leaves a "ghost" yellow image around it when it starts fading. I will have to dig one up to show you all. I am at the point I ask for BLUE sharpie or paint pen. FYI..Good luck!

This is due to the acid in the ink; now, you can buy acid-free permanent markers (many manufacturers but BIC makes some really good,cheap ones). Regular sharpies do still contain acid, including the blue ones. When i facilitate signings or take my clients books to a show, i only use acid free markers unless they request specific markers themselves.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600891 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?