Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Is this a pressable defect?1901

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Can this be pressed out? This copy of Tales to Astonish 53 is beautiful except for these and other indentations on the cover. None of them break color.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@jrs - That looks like a good candidate for pressing. Someone wrote on a piece of paper that was over the comic, or perhaps on the bag the comic was stored in. I am no expert, but I think a good presser should be able to lift the impressions of the writing out.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@jrs depends on who presses it. Most can be taken out, but there is a technique to remove something like that. Probably take a few different pressing techniques
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks for the input.

Since I have zero personal experience with pressing, would I get charged multiple times if the first time does not work and the presser has to keep working on it? Or does it generally depend on the presser?

Also, has anyone had similar indentations pressed out successfully? If so, who did you use? Hero Restoration looks promising, based on the before and after photos on its website.

This is one of probably three books I would consider submitting for pressing; I can live with the defects on my other books for the most part.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I had a few books like this I sent in to CFP. You could not tell those indentations were ever there once they came back except in one certain area for some reason. Still, I'd say 95% of it was gone.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing would help. CFP and Hero can I recommend for that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I can recommend Josh Avery from Avery Pressing Services, LLC for this job he'll take care of your books fast and have it looking great!
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
This can be taken care of with one press. No need to subject the book to multiple presses.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
That can absolutely be taken care of with a good pressing
Post 9 IP   flag post
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm optimistic now.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Way over my head, but from some of the videos I've seen and what pressers have said, seems to be an easy fix for guys that have good recipes (Joe@CFP above).

Not sure how Steve feels about it, but I'd like to see him start chiming in with his pressing expertise now that we know he has some good recipes as well
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Deep indents or creases can be removed completely (assuming no color break has happened).

Even teeth marks.

Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
@CFP_Comics

You have to watch them hippos they will eat anything...

Post 13 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics, thanks for posting that. The indentations on my book are not nearly as deep.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector comicpress private msg quote post Address this user
Proper pressing techniques can remove those indentations. CPRS is another alternative!
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@CFP_Comics WOW
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Is there any reversion over time to indents like that that have been pressed out?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Is there any reversion over time to indents like that that have been pressed out?

If the processed is rushed, yes. That's why you cannot rush certain books.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@CFP_Comics I am impressed. Holy bite marks Batman.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I'm more "impressed" by how the teeth marks didn't break color! Especially on such a dark cover! I'll have to post a comic I'm considering pressing shortly...see if joe or others think they can take on my example...stay tuned.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a comic I'd like to test out...someone's services with. It's not worth much in the state its in now...and probably not even after pressed...but It's a good item for someone willing to test their skills. The $10 fee alone is worth the entertainment/lessons learned for me. I also have issue 239 in the same state. Amazingly (pun intended) the majority of the indentations away from the spine are not color breaking...which is why I'm curious to see how much its appearance can be improved.

Post 22 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio as bad as it looks it's an easy press to get those out. It's worth the 10 bucks to do it. I just was taught a new technique using no heat, minor steam, and a blotter. I have gotten.away from using any heat in most cases now.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Drogio does it look like those wrinkles and indentations were caused by water damage?

At least nobody scribbled on top of your book...they just drove over it. Would love to see what a press would yield for you.
Post 24 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I'm more "impressed" by how the teeth marks didn't break color! Especially on such a dark cover! I'll have to post a comic I'm considering pressing shortly...see if joe or others think they can take on my example...stay tuned.

Looks like a teething toddler was gumming on it.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Here's a comic I'd like to test out...someone's services with. It's not worth much in the state its in now...and probably not even after pressed...but It's a good item for someone willing to test their skills. The $10 fee alone is worth the entertainment/lessons learned for me. I also have issue 239 in the same state. Amazingly (pun intended) the majority of the indentations away from the spine are not color breaking...which is why I'm curious to see how much its appearance can be improved.

I'll post the before and after of a similar book later today.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Very interested to see a comparison of a similar book.

I'm not really aware of the limitations of pressing yet, but if damage similar to that on the ASM can be pressed out, that will be, well, nothing short of impressive.
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was up for debate if this was a poor initial press job, or water damage. I saw no tide marks or other issues to indicate water.
Post 28 IP   flag post
After.

Post 29 IP   flag post
One more for the heck of it.

Post 30 IP   flag post
600496 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?